It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 07:57 AM   #1

Arney HB User
Pain after Crown Procedure

A few weeks ago, I broke of a part of my molar while biting a popcorn kernel. The only "pain" I experienced since that event was a slight sensitivity toward cold drinks. Nine days ago I went to my dentist who shaved my molar in preparation for a crown and then put a temporary resin crown on the tooth. The dentist took an x-ray of the tooth but before he even did that, I asked him if I would need a root canal, and he said no. Since I got the temp crown, it hurts to use the molar to even bite down on semi soft foods. Will the pain disappear once I get my permanent crown or is something else going on in my situation?

Thx.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:53 AM   #2

RetroActv HB User
Re: Pain after Crown Procedure

There's a good chance it could go away, but you never know. Make sure you communicate this with your dentist when you go back in to get the permanent put on. Sometimes the nerve of the tooth gets a bit irritated by all the activity. When you expose it to cold or hot, does the pain last only a few seconds, or is it a bit longer than that? Anything under 10-15 seconds isn't a big problem right now. A crown will usually bring stability to a cracked tooth, but sometimes, months or years later, a root canal has to be done because the tooth never really recovered. Most times a root canal can be done through a crown, and the hole filled. Some Endo's do lean towards removing and replacing with a new crown once the RC is done.

Give it a week and see what happens. It's a good idea to try and stay away from that side of your mouth as much as you can in that week. Just like the rest of our body, constantly irritating a sore nerve/muscle/etc. impedes the healing process.

Also, as a side note, have the dentist check your bite for high spots. A misaligned bite due to improper tooth contact can irritate a tooth by putting too much pressure on the nerve of the tooth, and adjusting this problem will help towards healing.

Last edited by RetroActv; 03-17-2004 at 08:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #3

Arney HB User

Thanks for the advice RetroActv. I wasn't very clear in my last post. The sensitivity to hot and cold has disappeared since my initial crown work, but now the molar with the temp crown hurts when I use it to chew food. My permanent crown should arrive in about a week, so if I still have pain I will let my dentist know about it. My wife claims that she still has a slight amount of pain from a crown she received several years ago and thus tries to avoid chewing food on the mouth side with that crowned tooth.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:32 PM   #4

jhappy10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arney
Thanks for the advice RetroActv. I wasn't very clear in my last post. The sensitivity to hot and cold has disappeared since my initial crown work, but now the molar with the temp crown hurts when I use it to chew food. My permanent crown should arrive in about a week, so if I still have pain I will let my dentist know about it. My wife claims that she still has a slight amount of pain from a crown she received several years ago and thus tries to avoid chewing food on the mouth side with that crowned tooth.
I would let your dentist know of the pain your feeling w/ your temp crown. I had a crown put on last week, but before the perm one was put on I had pain w/ the temp one..not so much pain but very sensitive when I touched it w/ my tongue. I went in and the doctor checked it out and said he didnt know what was causing the pain but that it could have been from all the work they do to prep the tooth, it actually puts your tooth in trauma and it takes time for it to calm down...it took about a week and a half for it to feel ok..but then the temp popped off..not enough glue they said. I now have the perm one but my bite feels a little off and Im going back to get it checked out. I would let the dentist know of anything you feel now, even if its just for reassurance. The perm crown you are getting..are you getting 100% porcelain or metal to porcelain?

Old 03-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #5

Arney HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhappy10
I would let your dentist know of the pain your feeling w/ your temp crown. I had a crown put on last week, but before the perm one was put on I had pain w/ the temp one..not so much pain but very sensitive when I touched it w/ my tongue. I went in and the doctor checked it out and said he didnt know what was causing the pain but that it could have been from all the work they do to prep the tooth, it actually puts your tooth in trauma and it takes time for it to calm down...it took about a week and a half for it to feel ok..but then the temp popped off..not enough glue they said. I now have the perm one but my bite feels a little off and Im going back to get it checked out. I would let the dentist know of anything you feel now, even if its just for reassurance. The perm crown you are getting..are you getting 100% porcelain or metal to porcelain?
This is a 100 percent porcelain crown. It's now been two weeks since the procedure. It may have calmed down a tiny bit, but I basically still have to use the other side of my mouth to chew anything that isn't soft.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:39 PM   #6

jhappy10 HB User

did your dentist give you a hard time about getting a 100% porcelain on a molar? I wanted a 100% porcelain but he says that they crack b/c they are like glass..I think he just said that b/c he does not offer 100% porcelain..I want it taken out and to go to a cosmetic dentist to get a 100% porcelain one..is that crazy? I swear I can taste the metal (the one I have is porcelain bonded to metal) and the one he put in is way too white..looks fake.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:25 AM   #7

Flood84 HB User

I FINALLY got my permanent crown last Friday and my molar feels much better then when the darn temp was on.

Total cost was $715.

Last edited by Flood84; 04-19-2004 at 07:28 AM.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I would make an appointment with your dentist. I agree that from the work the tooth could be a little sens. Also those temps don't get that good of a seal around the margian of the tooth. Hints why we stress that they are temps. You wouldn't believe how many people do this and pay for it and then don't come back for the final crown. That's alot of money not to come back for. Also if the temp or permant crown is to high it can cause a really bad tooth ache. You should get that checked asap. If you let it go it could cause you to need a root cancal. If you are not biting like you are used to the you hit to much on the new crown and it can cause the tooth (nerve of the tooth) to become really sore if you let it go for along time. It may not feel high to you, but the smallest amount makes a huge difference. If it happens(pain) when you chew then it could just be high in the areas that you hit when you chew, but not when u just bite up and down. Go get this check. I would have them check your bite on the temp or crown. Not sure where you at now. This goes for the crown too and any time you have fillings done.Good luck

Closed Thread