It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
(male)

makodav HB User
Bone coming through at Wisdom tooth removal area!

On January 26'th I had my lower left wisdom tooth extracted, and it was a very forceful pull by the Oral Surgeon. I thought all was well after almost 2 months. I've had a little discomfort from the area since the extraction and thought this was normal. Last week I started getting increasing pain and could feel a small point on the tongue side where the tooth was. I went to see him on Tuesday and he plucked a small piece of bone with tweezers so he says, but I couldn;'t see anything. I go back the following day in severe pain and a big white point sticking out at my tongue about an 1/8 inch. He doesn't do an xray and said wait til Monday and see if the gum starts covering it. Thursday in even more pain I go to a new dentist and he does an xray and says I have a bone sticking out, he grinds it down and files it smooth to the gum surface. It is slightly pointy now but nothing like before. The bone exposed is about a 1/4 inch by 1/4inch! Anyone hear of this? Is it normal? How long will it take to heal? By the way I'm 43. Thanks. Dave.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
(male)

makodav HB User
Re: Bone coming through at Wisdom tooth removal area!

Bump, anyone have anything at all to offer? Thank You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
(female)

ok4now HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by makodav
On January 26'th I had my lower left wisdom tooth extracted, and it was a very forceful pull by the Oral Surgeon. I thought all was well after almost 2 months. I've had a little discomfort from the area since the extraction and thought this was normal. Last week I started getting increasing pain and could feel a small point on the tongue side where the tooth was. I went to see him on Tuesday and he plucked a small piece of bone with tweezers so he says, but I couldn;'t see anything. I go back the following day in severe pain and a big white point sticking out at my tongue about an 1/8 inch. He doesn't do an xray and said wait til Monday and see if the gum starts covering it. Thursday in even more pain I go to a new dentist and he does an xray and says I have a bone sticking out, he grinds it down and files it smooth to the gum surface. It is slightly pointy now but nothing like before. The bone exposed is about a 1/4 inch by 1/4inch! Anyone hear of this? Is it normal? How long will it take to heal? By the way I'm 43. Thanks. Dave.
Hi Dave,
What is sounds like is when the dentist pulled your tooth he broke the root and left the tip in your socket. You need to get to a dentist that will remove the rest of the root tip. The first dentist was neglectful by not removing all the root tip that he left in your mouth. The second dentist sounds worse. My advice would get to a dentist from a recommendation (Family/friends). Explain what you have been through...and hopefully this one will remove the rest of the root tip for you.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
(male)

makodav HB User

Thanks for the reply! Both Dentists said there isn't a root or piece of tooth left there. I'm starting to think the Dentist that did the extraction may be very conserative. The second guy after doing the xray said the bone is a part of my jaw bone and is definately sticking out into my mouth too much, thus the need to file. I am actually grateful to him because right now it feels a thousand times better than with that fang like tip sticking into my tongue. I've been doing salt water rinses and using Colgate Oragel and my comfort level is much improved. I appreciate the input and was wondering if anyone else experienced their jawbone coming through after an extraction. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #5
(female)

franann HB User
Red face Re: Bone coming through at Wisdom tooth removal area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makodav
Bump, anyone have anything at all to offer? Thank You.
That happened to my son. He noticed it before he went back for his post op visit. He thought that it was part of the tooth. What it was was the bone. The oral surgeon said that had never happened to one of his patients before. The bone was supposed to lie back down flat over where the tooth was removed. Instead, it flipped out and protruded towards his cheek. The doctor took clippers and clipped that part of the bone off. It was very painful. This happened about three years ago and I don't think it bothers him anymore. He did have surgery on his nose this year and had complications with that. I guess he just has bad luck with any kind of surgery!
Maybe yours did the same, but you didn't notice it earlier because your gums were still swollen? Or maybe the bone didn't heal and migrated until it protruded?

Last edited by franann; 03-27-2004 at 07:35 PM.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:19 AM   #6
(male)

makodav HB User

When you say the bone migrated do you mean it moved or grew? And just tonight I felt a sharp point jabbing at my tongue again. I gently picked at it with my finger nail and broke off 4 small pieces of bone fragment. Right now it is alot smoother than earlier tonight but I still feel a small sharp point. I don't want to pick at it too much as the gum has covered the bone some and there is much less pain than 2 weeks ago.
Thank you.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

Well i don't agree with the other post. When teeth are extracted afterward small boney fragment work there way out. This is very normal and could happen again until the area is completely healed. I don't think that either dentist was neglectful in take out your tooth. It is always possible that part of the root was left in there, but i think the would tell you that. There are times when you extract teeth that that Doctor just cannot get the broken root out.If the dr pulled out the piece with a tweezer and it was so small you couldn't see if then it was a small boney fragment(which is normal after extractions)then it probably was not the root of the tooth. It probably would of taken more of an effort to remove a root piece. I hope this makes you fill better. The filing down of bone that dr did is very normal too.

Last edited by brwneyez9; 04-02-2004 at 06:38 PM.

Old 04-03-2004, 01:42 AM   #8
(male)

makodav HB User

I don't think either was neglectful either. I think one guy was conservative and the other a bit more aggressive. I just wanted the fasted way to healing so I think the Aggresive guy was for me. In just the 2 days since my last post, the gums have covered the bone some more. I know loose fragments are normal but I was chipping small pieces off the solid Jaw bone. Anyways all is well I think. And at this rate all should be fine in a week or 2 I think!

Closed Thread