It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

phogirl HB User
Aprrox cost of widsdom teeth removal w/Blue Cross?

Hi,

I need to have my wisdom teeth removed, and I have blue cross. I was wondering how much I would have to pay approximately after the discount from Blue Cross? The dental office quoted me approx $320-415 for the extraction and around $375 for the general anaesthesia. Does anyone know what my out of pocket costs would be approx?

I am also very nervous about the anaesthesia. I read online that it's VERY RARE but possible to die from dental anaesthesia, one boy in England went under a coma due to the anaesthesia during a procedure and died. I've also never had an IV in my vein before and I'm so scared!

I've also never had stitches before...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: Aprrox cost of widsdom teeth removal w/Blue Cross?

General Anaesthesia for a tooth extraction? I had 2 of my wisdom teeth out (the top ones). He froze the upper left one. Once the freezing took, the extraction was about 2 seconds. I felt pressure like him pressing on my jaw for a split second. I thought he was trying to get me to open my mouth wider. Then he said "bite down". And that was it. No stitches, no pain, nothing. I was back to work the next morning. The hole filled in on it's own. There was minimal bleeding. I went back the following week for the upper right one. Same scenario. And again back to work the next morning. Never had stitches, and no swelling or any pain of any kind. My bottom 2 wisdom teeth are viable because I had 2 molars removed when I was a kid, and they filled in the spaces and I need to keep the bottom 2 wisdom teeth.

As for cost, I have Blue Cross through work, and they covered 100% of the bill for me. I don't know how it works for you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogirl
Hi,

I need to have my wisdom teeth removed, and I have blue cross. I was wondering how much I would have to pay approximately after the discount from Blue Cross? The dental office quoted me approx $320-415 for the extraction and around $375 for the general anaesthesia. Does anyone know what my out of pocket costs would be approx?

I am also very nervous about the anaesthesia. I read online that it's VERY RARE but possible to die from dental anaesthesia, one boy in England went under a coma due to the anaesthesia during a procedure and died. I've also never had an IV in my vein before and I'm so scared!

I've also never had stitches before...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
(female)

phogirl HB User

Thanks for you rresponse. I think my wisdom teeth are in bad shape though, because they are impacted and in my jaw bone, I hope they don't have to break my jawbone or anything. My doctor wants to do the consultation and remove the wisdom teeth all in the same day, instead of an initial appointment/consultation and then the appointment for surgery, I found this rather odd... Is this normal?

As for my Blue Cross, the one I have is not from work, it's just a regular HMO dental plan, and I have lots of out of pocket expenses. For example, when I had a filling a few days ago, I pad $75... So I hope it won't be too bad with the wisdom teeth.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Ok, impacted is different. Mine were all out and just needed to be pulled.

Have you talked about "sedation" instead of general? Or even local? My friend had a day surgery procedure and they used a medication for sedation. She was semi conscious and dozed, but she didn't remember the OR time at all.

If they are doing an OR route, then most doctors opt for a one time deal because surgeries are not without their risks, plus scheduling the procedure can often times be a problem. Not to mention the additional expense of the OR, medication and paperwork.

As far as general anaesthic goes. There are a few different kinds. I had a day surgery procedure back in the 80's, and had a bad reaction to whatever they gave me in the OR. I woke up and there was a tube in my throat and they were "bagging" me. Everytime they stopped, I stopped breathing. My day surgery turned into an all day thing because of my reaction to the medication I was given.

In 1990, I broke my ankle and required surgery to fix it. The hospital I was at contacted the other one to find out what anaesthetic that I had been given and reacted to. I guess they used something different and went conservatively with it seeing how I had a bad reaction to one already. So while they were operating on me, I woke up during the operation. I didn't feel any pain, but I heard sounds. And the last thing I heard before falling asleep again was "SHE'S WAKING UP!!!!" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogirl
Thanks for you rresponse. I think my wisdom teeth are in bad shape though, because they are impacted and in my jaw bone, I hope they don't have to break my jawbone or anything. My doctor wants to do the consultation and remove the wisdom teeth all in the same day, instead of an initial appointment/consultation and then the appointment for surgery, I found this rather odd... Is this normal?

As for my Blue Cross, the one I have is not from work, it's just a regular HMO dental plan, and I have lots of out of pocket expenses. For example, when I had a filling a few days ago, I pad $75... So I hope it won't be too bad with the wisdom teeth.

Last edited by Katyana; 03-24-2004 at 11:59 PM.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:39 PM   #5

cuttie15 HB User

who do you have blue cross through.. i have mine through my father who works for gm and i also have php of mid-michigan through the state (mom) so i didn't have any out of pocket expences for that. I would op for sedation not general. i have had both if i had to pick one i would pick the sedation. i am a control freak and i didn't like not being incontrol of my breathing. it just depends on who you have it through. blue cross is prim. dads b-day is before moms so yah

Old 04-05-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
(female)

homecadle HB User

Hi--I have BCBS through my husbands work and they pay nothing for dental office anethesia as far as I understand. I finally did get approval for payment for a hospital setting and payment for the anethesia because I have a severe problem with my BP dropping during even minor surgical procedures. I had to stick with it and had to go through a grievance with them, but I finally did get approval--again, it was not easy!

Homecadle

Old 04-05-2004, 08:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

As far as cost goes and what your insurance will pay. You would probably be better if you called your insurance company. Blue Cross has more then one type of plan. The plan is detrimened by whomever you get it thourgh ie work. So not every person with Blue Cross has the same coverage. So what one persons blue cross might pay yours maynot. Usually if the wisdom teeth are impacted you would also seen and oral surgern. I don't know how it work in the area you are from, but from my experence specailist like an oral surgeon are usually not covered under insurance. Like they are not a provider for your insurance another words. They will still take your insurance, but if they are not a provider there are more out of cost expenses to you then if the where a provider. I know where i am from none of the specailist are providers for any insurace company. I would also talk to them about sedation weather it be IV or Oral. the surgeons around here don't pull impacted teeth(because they have to be cut out)unless you are sedated. That will be more comfortable for you. I had mine done that why and i truly don't remember a thing and i felt like i was only in the office for 5 minture when really with was probaly more like an hour. My oral surgeon did a consutltions first so that they could look at my mouth and xrays. I would want it that way too. The way your having done doesn't make sense. He planned weather i would need to be sedated at this appointment and how they would take them out. so at my next appointment they were ready and prepared. I know my Oral surgeon's office contacted my insurance company they gave the office and estimate of what my insurance would pay and then the presented what my cost would be for me after insurance. I don't know if your office would or could do that for you, but i would ask. Your fears the anesthic and you being in a coma or death from that are very very slim. I would think that possible the people who this has happen to them may have had some medical condtion. I don't know. Your other concerns of broken jaw and other things, are slim too. The doctor doesn't have you sign i wavier before the surgery so that you cannot sue. The there is the possiblity of broken jaw,nerve damage, and there where like probably 20 other things. Those where just the main ones that i can remember. I am not saying these things cannot happen because they can. I don't want to scare you, but a friend just had her wisdom teeth out and her jaw was broken. She knew going to this certain doctor thought that he was a good doctor and she choose to anyway because she works in the field and was doing for a favor of a friend. She knew going the that he had a bad repution. I don't want to scare you, but the possibility is there,but slim. The way i look at those types of risks is that the are so rare, i am i going to let my wisdom teeth stay in causing pain and the possibiliy of cavities on the teeth in front of them or the possibility of loosing the teeth in front of them no. Plus we take bigger risks in life every day then that. Your jaw can heal if that happened. Don't stress. I really hope i helped and didn't scare you. Ask you office about find out what your insurance will pay or call your insurance company. they would be able to give you a much better answer. GOODLUCK

Closed Thread