It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 11:45 AM   #1

openlyaddicted0 HB User
Question what is dry socket please somone reply and give me some info????

well i got my totth pulled last friday. after the novaciane wore off my tooth was hurting really bad thta night i thought thats just what it felt like to get a totthe pullled. i called the doc and he prescribed my vicocodin to get me thorugh the weekend. he told em the pain should go away with in two to three days.well i called no monday cause the pain was just getting really worse, i mean o bad that i cant explain how bad. i tried to get in on tueday and i could tn make it cause i ahd to work i ahd no choice. well he daid he couldnmt get me in until tomoorw thats friday. so i ahve no choice but to deal with the pain. my sypmtoms are: gum sweeling, odor from my toothe, and yellow stuff coming form the inside of my tooth. it hurst allt he way from my gum to my cheek boen. this pain is the worst ive ever felt. i was just wondering if these were side effects of dry socket,and maybe someon could tell me if this is dry socket, what the dentsit does for dry socket, and if he precribes pain medication for after he fixes the dry socket. please please help i really need to know this information. thxs so much god bless.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: what is dry socket please somone reply and give me some info????

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyaddicted0
well i got my totth pulled last friday. after the novaciane wore off my tooth was hurting really bad thta night i thought thats just what it felt like to get a totthe pullled. i called the doc and he prescribed my vicocodin to get me thorugh the weekend. he told em the pain should go away with in two to three days.well i called no monday cause the pain was just getting really worse, i mean o bad that i cant explain how bad. i tried to get in on tueday and i could tn make it cause i ahd to work i ahd no choice. well he daid he couldnmt get me in until tomoorw thats friday. so i ahve no choice but to deal with the pain. my sypmtoms are: gum sweeling, odor from my toothe, and yellow stuff coming form the inside of my tooth. it hurst allt he way from my gum to my cheek boen. this pain is the worst ive ever felt. i was just wondering if these were side effects of dry socket,and maybe someon could tell me if this is dry socket, what the dentsit does for dry socket, and if he precribes pain medication for after he fixes the dry socket. please please help i really need to know this information. thxs so much god bless.
Dry Socket is just what it sounds like. The natural healing powers of the gums are not working. The gunk that is supposed to form over the gum to protect it from infection while it heals is gone. It can be caused by drinking carbonated beverages or hot or cold beverages, using commercial mouth wash( a real no no). Slightly salted warm water for mouth rinse is what you supposed to use. A lot of people will create dry socket from using too much gauze and rubbing the gum thinking that they are "cleaning it up" Yes it will get more infection and will hurt horribly bad because the nerves from that area of the gum were exposed when the mucus was removed that was protecting the gum. So now you have to wait until the nerve stops firing and dies. ( It may not be your fault because sometimes this happens accidentally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 03:00 PM   #3

Doppler4000 HB User

Actually, dry socket is the term given for what happens when you've disloged the critical blood clot which forms in the tooth socket following an extraction. If that's what you've got, the throbbing pain you feel is a bunch of tiny nerves screaming out because your jaw bone is now actually exposed to the air and / or the environment of your mouth. You also described white spots so don't rule out an infection either.

In your original message you mentioned smoking and a lot of messing around with your teeth and the site afterwards- two activities which are extremely ill advised (did you get post-op instructions?) after an extraction. If dry socket is what you've got, the smoking, etc. is probably the reason why.

Dentists can pack stuff into the socket which will stop the pain and make you feel better.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:22 PM   #4

blib HB User

I'm sorry to hear your dentist can't see you until "he has time." It may be worth your while to check out the yellow pages and find a dentist who has "emergency services" listed in their advertisements, or a special phone number in the advertisement to call in an emergency or even their home phone number. Don't live with the pain. You shouldn't have too!!!!!

Old 03-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #5

openlyaddicted0 HB User

thxs everyone to who reposned you really helped i will definetly take your advice into consideration and i am finding another dentist. thxs ill let you nkow what happens.

Closed Thread