It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 08:10 PM   #1

blib HB User
Question Valium Vs. Laughing Gas

I've got to get my two lower wisdom teeth removed before too long, and the dentist is very cooperative. I can't decide on 10mg valium night before + 1 hr. before surgery verses laughing gas. I'm inexperienced on valium, afraid it might not do the trick, I've had laughing gas for a root canal, and it helped tremendously, and I don't know if it's enough for wisdom teeth? Any insight?

Old 03-25-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
(female)

Cashodeen HB User
Re: Valium Vs. Laughing Gas

If it was me (and it will be me soon--I need one pulled), I would take the valium. I think that nitrous oxide is positively vile. But then, it did work for you before, and it works for others. I've never actually heard of it for wisdom teeth, but I'm quite sure that's because I haven't heard many wisdom teeth stories. I would think the valium would work better anyhow... I still can't give you a concrete answer though. I hope others respond.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 09:43 PM   #3

blib HB User
Talking Re: Valium Vs. Laughing Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashodeen
If it was me (and it will be me soon--I need one pulled), I would take the valium. I think that nitrous oxide is positively vile. But then, it did work for you before, and it works for others. I've never actually heard of it for wisdom teeth, but I'm quite sure that's because I haven't heard many wisdom teeth stories. I would think the valium would work better anyhow... I still can't give you a concrete answer though. I hope others respond.
Thanks for the response, Cashodeen . My brother has had valium before and said it knocked him out. I just am not sure. I don't want to get to the dentist office and find out it's not enough to make me comfortable. Laughing gas I know I can breathe in until I'm ready. But, nonetheless, that's one for the valium, zero for the laughing gas. Anybody else have an input?

Last edited by blib; 03-25-2004 at 09:44 PM.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blib
Thanks for the response, Cashodeen . My brother has had valium before and said it knocked him out. I just am not sure. I don't want to get to the dentist office and find out it's not enough to make me comfortable. Laughing gas I know I can breathe in until I'm ready. But, nonetheless, that's one for the valium, zero for the laughing gas. Anybody else have an input?

Can someone tell me why laughing gas is so vile??? I had thought it was a great help, but I've only heard this from a childs point of view..lol
Lorene

Old 03-31-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
(female)

Cashodeen HB User

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorene78
Can someone tell me why laughing gas is so vile??? I had thought it was a great help, but I've only heard this from a childs point of view..lol
Lorene
Well I'm the one who said it, so I'll tell you, lol.

It's actually a safe and often effective sedation device used at the dentist office. I'm just opposed to breathing in any gas to induce relaxation. I'd rather swallow a pill or be given a shot. Perhaps my thoughts on the subject have been tainted by the fact that I was given N2O against my will by an incompetent hygentist. Afterward I had the classic signs of overdose.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

I'm having mine pulled next week with laughing gas. I never had laughing gas before so I'll let you now how it goes.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 AM   #7
(male)

XSELR8T HB User
Smile Re: Valium Vs. Laughing Gas

April of last year I had 10 teeth pulled including all 4 wisdom teeth. I had both Valium and Laughing gas. I had 1 valium the night before and another 1 an hour before my appointment. When I got to my appointment I was already feeling the effects of the valium. Then when I got in the chair I was put on the laughing gas and given the novacaine injections. For me it worked perfectly, not once did I feel any pain. I was so relaxed, sort of like "Not A Worry In The World" kind of feeling She told me that if at any point if I felt more nervous, panicky ((I have Panic Attacks)) or if I felt any pain during the extraction's to let her know so she could adjust the laughing gas or if it was pain give me more novacaine. Actually she had to turn down the laughing gas because I was falling asleep. I told her for my pre-surgery consult that I wanted to be sedated but not put all the way out. Anyway, I would do it all over again if I had too. Good Luck!

- XSEL

Last edited by XSELR8T; 04-02-2004 at 01:23 AM.

Old 04-03-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

What ever you want is the way to go. I had to have my wisdom teeth out. No way laughging gas will make you(me) as comfortable as valium. N20 calms you down. Valuim will help sedate you. Not to the point that you are sleeping, but you would remember less then with laughing gas. There is also Triazlam(msp) sorry not really sure on the spelling. which is what my dentist likes to use. With those two drugs you usually need someone to drive you to and from your appointment. You will probably sleep couple of hours when you get home. I really think you would be more comfortable with the valium. I know with the triazlam you take on at night before bed and 1 in the moring before 1 hour before the appointment and then once you get there the dentist will evaluate how relaxed you are and if you not relaxed enough he can give more. This drug is very safe. I don't know if you can do that with valium. Good luck

Old 04-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #9

sweety-b HB User

I've had 2 oral surgeries performed (pulling teeth that wouldn't grow) and I was sedated once by using a shot--I wish I could remember what they called it, but all I remember is receiving this shot, and waking up "a little later" with my dentist working over me. If I woke up too early, they would give me a shot in the gums... lemme tell you, it was hell for the 1st 5 sec., and then you can't feel anything after that. The second surgery, which was the same proceedure, they just put the shot in my gums without sedating me, and I was fine. Mind you, I faint at the slightest sight of blood, yet I was okay with this? lol

Old 04-08-2004, 06:15 AM   #10
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

Well you guys, 24 hours from now and I'll be in surgery. I didn't think it was possible, but I'm even more nervous then I was before. It's supposed to start at 8:45 tomorrow morning, so hopefully it will be almost done by this time tomorrow. I'll let you know how is goes.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:19 AM   #11
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User
Talking Re: Valium Vs. Laughing Gas

Hey, everything went great!!!!!!!! I didn't feel a thing. I don't know what I was so worried about.
I had a nice dose of laughing gas and it really helped. I think that the laughing gas was definately was a good choice for me.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:49 AM   #12
Inactive

trainboxer HB User

Decades ago, my father told me he had a wisdom tooth pulled with laughing gas and said he still felt pain. What improvements have been made and how does it dull the pain? And what does it feel like after the laughing gas?

Thanks

Last edited by trainboxer; 04-09-2004 at 07:51 AM.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:47 PM   #13
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User
Cool Re: Valium Vs. Laughing Gas

Ok, this is how my appointment went. When I got there I was so nervous. (I'm absolutely terrified of dentists). The surgeon talked to me for a while and told me exactly what was going to happen. He told a couple of corny jokes to try to get me to relax. Once he was convinced that I was starting to relax enough he slipped the mask over my nose. I had to breath oxygen for about five minutes then he turned on the gas. After a couple of minutes my toes started to feel numb then my hands and finally my lips. A little while after that it felt almost lilke I was floating. It was a really wierd feeling, but it wasn't that bad. He then gave me a couple of shots of novicaine. I didn't even feel the needle, or if I did, I didn't even care. (The gas doesn't actually stop you from feeling the pain, it's the novicaine that does that. But, it did relax me to the point where I didn't care what they did to me.) A few minutes later he poked around in my gum to make sure that it was good and numb. I didn't even know it when he actually pulled the tooth out. I was sitting in the chair waiting to feel pain when it came out, but I never did. Here he pulled the tooth and put a couple of stitches in my gum, and I still thought the tooth was still in my mouth. He put some gauze in my mouth then I had to sit up and breath oxygen for a couple minutes. Then he told me to slowly stand up. I felt wierd for a second, but then I was ok. Then came the absolute worst part, I had to go out to the receptionist and pay my bill!

Really, it was no big deal! It definately wasn't worth loosing a week of sleep over it. But then, it did feel pretty good to get all that attention from everyone at work all week. When I have to get the other three out I am definately going to go with the laughing gas again. Without it there is no way that I would have got through the whole thing. I'm the biggest chicken in the whole world, especially when it comes to dentists, and if I could get through it, I'm sure that you can too!!

Old 04-23-2004, 07:41 PM   #14
(female)

krikin HB User

I've tried both and I was a little relaxed with the valium UNTIL the dentist got in my mouth and the effects wore off very fast! The "gas" worked great - I had a root canal and I was terrifed before hand and with the gas I was aware of what was going on but I just didn't care!

Old 04-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #15
(male)

moose48 HB User

I've had laughing gas in the past, and still felt pain. My current dentist refuses to use the gas - he claims that it numbs him and the office assistants a little. I don't know if I believe that, but he did offer me valium when I had the recent crown done. I declined and just let him do the injections.

It was only mildly painful for 2 hours!

Closed Thread