It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 01:04 AM   #1
(male)

ian27 HB User
How long do antibiotics take to work?

Hello all,

I was given antibiotics (amoxicillin) for an abscessed tooth about 2 weeks ago which I felt decreased the pain after a couple of days, following which I had it root filled. After the root filling the pain never really settled down properly so I went back to my dentist. She informed me that the infection had in fact spread to an adjacent tooth and that it should also be root filled. So I was given antibiotics again (amoxicillin again) and have been told to come back following this course for the surgery. I have now been on the medication since Friday morning and the pain still seems to be throbbing away, therefore I was wondering how long it takes for the antibiotics to start working or if I may have become slightly resistant to them with taking the same antibiotic just a couple weeks ago? I phoned my dentist this morning and the receptionist told me that it is probably just that the antibiotics hadn't started to work properly yet but I got the feeling she was just trying to palm me off. Any opinions?

Thanks.

Ian

Old 03-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran

Dance4jc HB User
Re: How long do antibiotics take to work?

If your tooth has an abcess, the antibiotics alone will not take away the pain. If the infection is so bad that you need a root canal, then I hate to say this, but you will be in some pain until all the infected roots are removed. The anitbiotics will help keep it from spreading, but will not take away the pain. I have had more than my fair share of these problems and none felt completely better until the root was gone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #3

Dimeit HB User

The reason they give you antibiotics is because they do not want to release all the bacteria into your blood stream when they start working on your tooth.If that happend the bacteria could go to your heart and eat up your heart valves.Make sure your dentist kills all the bacteria when she dose the root canal.If she dosent get them all they can live in your root canal and you will feel no pain because all the nerves in the root will die when the root canal is done.The bacteria can live there for years and the waste it dumps into you body is posion and can make you feel sick all over.....................Terry

Old 03-29-2004, 06:49 PM   #4

Dimeit HB User

The reason they give you antibiotics is because they do not want to release all the bacteria into your blood stream when they start working on your tooth.If that happend the bacteria could go to your heart and eat up your heart valves.Make sure your dentist kills all the bacteria when she dose the root canal.If she dosent get them all they can live in your root canal and you will feel no pain because all the nerves in the root will die when the root canal is done.The bacteria can live there for years and the waste it dumps into you body is posion and can make you feel sick all over.....................Terry

Old 03-30-2004, 03:58 AM   #5
(male)

ian27 HB User

Thanks for all getting back to me. I see what you're saying which explains why I'm not really getting any pain relief. I'll try some pain medication today to see if that will help - any suggestions (my stomach isn't particularly good with anti-inflammatories)? I went to see a dentist yesterday and he has prescribed me Metronidazole to take on top of the Amoxicillin. All it is giving me is nausea, I am not sure how long I can stand it. I think I might make an emergency appointment for later this week and get the thing either root filled or pulled out, I couldn't really care less which at this point in time just as long as it will resolve the pain. I'll have to do something as my productivity at work has been virtually zero over the last few days which isn't doing my business any good.

What is frustrating about this one is that there is no prior filling in the two teeth or any decay (apparently these are the two most common reasons for teeth to abscess). I am told it is due to a blow to the teeth which happened sometime back which has damaged them therefore they have become infected - bad luck I guess!

One more quick question, I had one of my teeth root filled last Wednesday but it is still giving me some pain and sensitivity - is this normal after a root filling for it to take some time to settle down or should it be good to go right away?

Many thanks.

Ian

Old 03-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran

Dance4jc HB User

Well, with most of my root fillings they were better pretty soon after having them done, but on a couple where the infection was bad it took a few days. I would not begin to worry just yet. Also, you should get your tooth worked on as soon as possible. I can't believe you are living with the pain of an abscess. I would rather chop off my arm than live with that pain.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:37 PM   #7

Campber HB User

Takes a bit of time to settle down before they can work it.
The pain from an abcess is 100 times the pain of anything the dentist will ever cause you. Get it fixed, the sooner the better

Last edited by Campber; 03-31-2004 at 08:41 PM.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:27 AM   #8
(male)

ian27 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I've been on the phone to the dentist each day trying to get an earlier appointment but the earliest I've managed so far is Thursday 8th April. I have to keep trying each day to see if I can get in any earlier. As you both appreciate, the pain from an abscess is incredibly bad and it certainly isn't the type of pain you can learn to live with for a while. I'm finding it quite frustrating, but I'm just trying to take it one day at a time until I can get it sorted.

Thanks.

Ian

Old 04-01-2004, 07:30 PM   #9
Veteran

Dance4jc HB User

I feel badly for you. I never had a dentist who made me wait. I have had 6 different teeth abcess at different times and ALWAYS the dentist would take me the same day. I just can't believe you are living with that pain. I would have found a new dentist by now. Hang in there if you are going to wait until the 8th. UGH!

Old 04-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #10
(male)

ian27 HB User

Thanks to all those who have responded. I finally had my second root canal filling completed this afternoon. It has started to thob a bit now that the anaestetic is wearing off but I was told to expect some discomfort over the next 2 or 3 days. I'm told that it may not work and I would have to have the teeth removed if this happened but all the signs are looking good at the moment. So fingers crossed everything will work out okay.

Thanks again.

Ian

Old 04-09-2004, 06:57 AM   #11
(male)

ian27 HB User

As I'd previously posted, I had my final root canal filling completed yesterday. Unfortunately, I've woken up this morning with some significant pain in the two teeth that have been filled (one of them was filled 2 weeks ago). It's kind of a burning, throbbing pain which isn't really decreased with ibroprofen. My dentist told me that it may take a day or two to settle down but she gave me the impression that I probably shouldn't have any discomfort at all.

What are other people's experiences of this? I'm worried that it may not have worked and I may have to have the teeth extracted.

I have a previous experience a few years ago of an abscess which I had root canalled, this failed and I had to have it extracted after years of discomfort on and off, so I may be being a bit too sensitive about it.

Any advice anybody?

Ian

Closed Thread