It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 06:21 AM   #1

goldrose HB User
odd "lines" inside of cheeks!

today i found oddness on the inner walls of my cheeks. starting at the inside corners of my lower lips, a raised line... or some sort goes fairly straight back to the back of my mouth... as far back as i can see. perhaps to JUST above my last wisdom teeth, but not TO them. the lines... whatever they are, are only slightly raised, painless, only slightly paler in color than the rest of the inside of my cheeks, and much thinner and straighter than any instance of biting the inside of my cheeks. i think the strage straightness of them makes me the most nervous. any ideas? if it means anything, both of my back wisdoms are sore a little, but werent earlier, and i have swollen tastebuds on one side of my tongue... and the back of my throat is sore. hard to swallow.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #2

kookis HB User
Re: odd "lines" inside of cheeks!

I have similar symptoms. I don't know what it is. Try getting it diagnosed and doctors will likely have no idea. I know a girl who has exema spots on the body. They show up on arms legs or torso...from hpv and the first doctor mis-diagnosed it as ringworm. You'll likely have to try a few doctors. Some doctors don't have a clue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 06:44 AM   #3

dral HB User

Those lines are probably normal. They are called "linea" and are normal anatomy. Sore wisdom teeth and a sore throat could possibly mean an infection. It would be safe to have them evaluated, but I would not worry abou the lines.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:29 PM   #4

kookis HB User

Those lines are definately something. They didn't exist previously. In my opinion its caused by poor health from nitrates, cigarettes, alcohol (something from a beer bottle opening) or an std. Thats when i got the problem Mine have mellowed but not eradicated.

Last edited by kookis; 04-24-2004 at 07:31 PM.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennifer8216 HB User

I certainly would not jump to the conclusion of a disease.

I have the same thing as you and it is nothing to be concerned about. Most people do.

When you close your teeth together, there is a line formed. It is called the line of occlusion. Its where the teeth contact the cheeck and is of no consequence whatsoever. Think of what happens when you place a rubber band around your finger, not tight, but its there. After awhile, your finger will have the slight impression of the rubber band, in this case, that impression is reversed.

Now, there are several different types of papillae on the tongue. The papillae specific to the sides and rear of the tongue are larger, naturally.

What can happen, is if you have a sore throat, these papillae can enlarge as a result of an infection, but this is unrelated to your cheeks. You'll need to see a doctor for a diagnosis and prescription.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
Inactive

ihatedentist HB User

We also see them occur when a person is going through a lot of stress. Why? They clench their teeth and tend to suck the checks in during stress. That is why the white line runs along the biting surface of the teeth as Jennifer says. I have never witnessed or heard of any complications created by the lines but if a person clenches, they can get headaches, worn teeth and or broken teeth.

Old 04-30-2004, 01:13 PM   #7

kookis HB User

the lines at the toothline sounds logical but they don't necessarily show up at the toothline. I'm not buying it....just my opinion...although i could see how the lines could be caused by sleeping with the mouth shut and creating a slight vacume by lightly sucking inward involuntarily from stress

Last edited by kookis; 04-30-2004 at 01:20 PM. Reason: additional thought

Closed Thread