It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 12:14 AM   #1

Tessalou HB User
Question Immediate denture reline question??

I have been reading this board quite frequently and posting some here with the problems I have been having trying to eat with my immediate dentures and lots of problems with their fit. I had my teeth extracted a little at a time. 2 the first visit, 9 the second and 12 the day I received my dentures. Every time I read about immediate dentures most are thought of as temporary dentures until new ones are made after the healing process. My dentist never mentioned having new ones made or even rebased, just to permanently reline the ones I have. Has anyone else here had their immediate dentures relined and did it really help the fit? If so do they take new measurements and impressions of your mouth like they did in the beginning or is it like the temporary one I had two weeks ago where he poured the stuff in there and told me to bite down?

Old 03-30-2004, 06:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Immediate denture reline question??

Yes, they do take new impressions. Sometimes they take the impression right in your current denture and send the whole works off to the lab for processing. The current denture is a pretty good impression tray. The number one drawback of this method is that you will be without your teeth for the duration of the project. I had this once with my immediates and they took the impression late in the day and sent them off to the lab and I had them put back in the next morning.
During the healing period many trips to the dentist can and should be expected. Not every dentist works it into your treatment plan to have your dentures replaced after a reasonable period of healing goes on. Some just do a final hard reline and send you off. For me, the biggest advantage in getting a complete new set of dentures made was to have back ups available should my dentures need to be serviced- I will not have to be without.
You need to review the questions on this board and some of the others on the web and develop a list of questions to ask your dentist. Set an appointment where you will not have any work done on your dentures- just a time to sit in his office in a regular chair and ask questions, write down the answers he gives. Being knowledgeable about what can or could be included in a treatment plan is your best position. Many of the things offered on the boards are individual experiences and not the words of the dental professional. If you do not feel you are getting good care or being treated with respect you must seek a new provider of your care.
Dentures are forever so if you do not have a positive experience in the early days it is unlikely things will improve for you. Be aggressive!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 04:43 PM   #3

Yos HB User

Hi Tess,

I've had my dentures for 16 months now. They've gone through the exact process you describe. They're "immediate" dentures, a full upper and partial lower. I had chairside soft relines at 1 , 2 and 4 months after the extractions. At 6 months after the extractions the immediate dentures were hard relined. After seeing how the soft reline material had built up on the original denture I was concerned that the hard relined denture would be really bulky. That turned out not to be the case. The dentures came back thin and light. It was impossible to see where the old acrylic ended and the new reline acrylic began. The dentist used the dentures as the "tray" for the mold. My appointment was first thing in the morning and I had my dentures back later that afternoon. I had the option to have a rebase done but it would have been an extra cost and take 2 days longer to do. Now, 8 months after the hard reline, the dentures still fit very well and without the need for adhesives.

If you have any other questions about the process I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Yos

Old 03-31-2004, 08:42 AM   #4

Tessalou HB User

Thanks for both of your responses. I am just going to have to learn to more aggressive with my dentist about the fit and learn to ask more questions. The dentist office I go to is very strange. I have never spoken to the dentist in a private office. Just one room separated by cubicles that face the front walk with large windows so anyone coming in or going out can see you. He also has a habit of working on more than one patient at a time (example- waiting on one patient to numb while talking to me) and he is always in a hurry. I have one more question about relining. The rim (edge) on the upper and lower denture is really thick already. Will this be shaved down when the reline is done?

Old 03-31-2004, 12:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Never lose sight of the fact that you are a "customer" and you deserve his full attention. I know how they must have their hands in 3 people mouths at the same time to make any money in their eyes. You are having some issues and need counselling by the dentist as well as his skill as a practitioner. You have paid alot of money for your dentures and you must be satifised- these are your teeth now.
In most cases when they do laboratory relines the impressions are sent to the lab along with the dentures- the technician knows how much to grind out before putting the new lining in. Sometimes too much material needs to be added and the dentures end up bulky, this is another reason to seek either a rebase or a new set after you have healed.

Please keep us posted.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

Immediate Dentures can be a problem. I always let my patients know that befor they make a decisison. The pro and cons of the immediate and waiting. Waiting for the healing time before you have impressions taken for a denture is always the best way to go. The down side to waiting is that you are with out teeth for 6-8 weeks aprox. This time allows for healing of the bone. When you have teeth pulled there is shrinkage of the bones and gums. When you wait for the healing time you will get a better fit then an immediate denture will give you. They will take impressions using your denture and have it relined. The reline usually only takes half a day and you can usually have it back the next day. With both dentures over time (like years) you loose bone this happens when you have teeth out. Eventally you will have to have new ones made. Depending on how old you are you may have most people have 2 made in there lifetime anyways. After 10-20 years the first ones just don't fit right anymore and after that long start not looking so good. Sorry your dr. didn't explain all of this. Good luck with that. What ever you do make sure you wear then and have them adjusted if they need it.IF that front part is to bulky your dr. should be able to adjust that for you. Make sure you wear them or you will never get use to them. Dentures are not easy to get use to.

Closed Thread