It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #1

Liliput HB User
To Anyone Having Their Wisdom Teeth Pulled...

I just wanted to drop a line to say that having them pulled is not as bad as everyone makes it sound. Really!

I had all 4 of mine done at once, and the only thing that bothered me was after I woke up from my nap. I cried. I don't know why, but I did. It was kind of funny. I guess it's a reaction to the meds, because I've heard of several people doing this. I wasn't in pain at all.

Insist that your dr. make you comfortable. Like bringing headphones, putting you out, whatever. Decide which route is best for you (novacaine, laughing gas, knocked out) and go with it.

If you're awake for it, expect some tugging and pulling (no biggie, doesn't hurt) and to be loopy afterwards. Also, you might bleed for awhile after (I did) so try not to freak out.

If you follow the dr.'s orders to the letter, everything should be fine. (no dry sockets, etc.) After you have them pulled, you'll probably wonder why you made such a big fuss about it. To tell you the truth, I'd rather have wisdoms pulled than regular teeth. At least after you get the wisdoms pulled, you get good pain killers! LOL.

My point is, try not to let it stress you out. It really isn't that bad. Honest.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User
Re: To Anyone Having Their Wisdom Teeth Pulled...

I hope you're right!! I'm having mine done next Friday and I am absolutely terrified!!!!! I had a couple bad experiences at dentists so that realy doesn't help make it any easier. Also I think having to wait for two weeks makes it seem even worse. It gives me too much time to think about it. I'm so scared that I'm sick to my stomach every day and I've been having awful nightmares each night. The only thing that got me through this past week was the encouragement from a friend at work. Everyday she gives me a hug and tells me that everything will be ok. I wish I knew more people like her. I was talking to three other people at work over the past couple of days who are going to have theirs pulled before I get mine done. I hope all theirs go ok, that will make me feel a little better.

I'm getting mine done with laughing gas. I wanted to be put under totally. but that would cost over $300 and my insurance won't cover it. There's no way that I could afford to give my whole paycheck to the oral surgeon. Wearing headphones seems like a good idea, I'll have to get a new pair though 'cause my little brother broke mine.

Well, I have to go. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and thanks, your post made me feel a little better. I'm not quite as nervous now.

God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 05:59 PM   #3

plantlover HB User

Well here's my story. I was supposed to get mine out last year in April. Made appointments and cancelled them last minute..Yup that's right. It happened three times. Plus I really didn't have much pain so I didn't think it was necessary for me to get them out at that point. Finally, this past October I made an appt to my dentist where an oral surgeon comes in once a month to do the surgery. So I pulled myself together and went for that appt. When I got there the surgeon looked at my x-ray and said he will not do my wisdom teeth surgery because I was at a high risk of nerve damage on my bottom teeth. So he told me to go to a professional. So I waited another 3 months and finally made an appt on Jan 30. to a professional oral surgeon. He said no biggy I don't see much nerve damage. Of course there are always risks w/ any type of surgery. So the day of my surgery I was freakin out. However, once I sat down in the chair they gave me some laughing gas and before I knew it I was waking up. It was a very awesome feeling w/ the gas and stuff. After the surgery I was on medication and had no pain what so ever. Now its already been 2 months and I have healed up pretty good. Followed doctors orders and everything went well. I also got all 4 teeth done at the same time. It's all over for me..what a relief.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:05 AM   #4

gossgal HB User

Hi guys ... ihad all my teeth pulled thursday 4/1 including 4 wisdom teeth. i have no pain, little swelling and my bleeding has stopped pretty much. ( i was put to sleep this is another story!)i say go for it ! i was very scared but there really was nothing to be scared of. I also have panic disorder so if i can do it you all can do it!..gossgal

Old 04-08-2004, 06:14 AM   #5
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

Well you guys, 24 hours from now and I'll be in surgery. I didn't think it was possible, but I'm even more nervous then I was before. It's supposed to start at 8:45 tomorrow morning, so hopefully it will be almost done by this time tomorrow. I'll let you know how is goes.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:24 AM   #6
(female)

knorr HB User
Cool Re: To Anyone Having Their Wisdom Teeth Pulled...

My 16 yr. old son just had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed on Tuesday. We were both very nervous. They did knock him out and also gave him a long last novacaine as well as percocet for pain. Other than the bleeding, which was pretty severe the first day, he has had little to no pain, and no swelling either!!! We both had ourselves worked up for nothing....he admits that it was 'no big deal' - of course, I have a few more gray hairs over it....
but nothing a little Clairol won't take care of!
~Valerie~

Old 04-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

12 hours and 45 minutes till mine come out. I'm glad I had to work all day today 'cause I would have gone crazy sitting at home worying about it. Most of my customers today had encouraging words for me, even the ones that were making fun of me all week. Even the cook who made the stupid potato that started the whole problem (yes, I broke my wisdom tooth eating a POTATO. I had a granola bar before that and it was fine, then it broke on a nice, soft potato. Go figure? I don't think I'll ever be able to eat a potato again! ) was nice to me today. He made me a steak for my "last supper". I just hope I can get some sleep tonight because I'm really nervous and I haven't been sleeping very good lately. My boss complained because I was pacing back and forth and wearing out the new carpet. I'll be so glad when it's over that I'm not even worrying about whether it will hurt afterwards. I just want to get it done and get out of there.

Last edited by Ima_chick_n; 04-08-2004 at 05:21 PM.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #8

PuppyPuke HB User

That's great you had a good experience. But what I do always is expect the worst that way I'll be prepared. Last time I had my wisdom tooth pulled a year ago, lets just say it wasn't pleasant. I had an impacted wisdom tooth. I was not knocked out or anything during the procedure, just given a little novacaine. Afterwards, take your pain medication, cause if you dont, you won't be able to sleep at night. Next time I'm going to have to probably go under because I just dont want to deal with all the drama again.

Last edited by PuppyPuke; 04-08-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:48 AM   #9
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

One hour left! Thanks for all the encouragemant everyone!
I'm still pretty nervous, but it will be over with before I know it. Finally, after worrying all week, I can't wait for this nightmare to finally end.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:58 AM   #10
Inactive

trainboxer HB User

lol puppy i havent had that good of experiences either. I'm just trying to decide what type of sedation I would like to have done but I have no idea. Because I'm not at all that familiar with what they can give you today. Last time I felt a lot of pain, so I'd just like to try other options. I dont want to be put under anesthesia, so I might see what other options they have. If anyone can give me a rundown of the options, that would be great. I see that they can use laughing gas, valium, anything else? The only thing my dentist told me last time was that I had the choice to go under general anesthesia and that's it.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #11
(female)

Ima_chick_n HB User

Wow! It's finally over. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I don't know what I was so worried about. I didn't feel a thing, not even the needle. My jaw feels a little stiff right now, but it doesn't really hurt. The dentist gave me some pain medicine and I didn't even have to take any yet. I might take one before bed tonight to help me sleep though.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:12 PM   #12

Liliput HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima_chick_n
Wow! It's finally over. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I don't know what I was so worried about. I didn't feel a thing, not even the needle. My jaw feels a little stiff right now, but it doesn't really hurt. The dentist gave me some pain medicine and I didn't even have to take any yet. I might take one before bed tonight to help me sleep though.

Yea!!! Seeeee? I hope you're still feeling ok today. I had a stiff jaw too. Made for an interesting time trying to eat! LOL. Very small bites!

I'm glad it didn't go nearly as bad as you thought. Now you'll never have to worry about them again. Ahhhhh...feels better, no?

Sometimes, I think it would be better if people didn't read forums like this, or have to listen to other people's horror stories. Then we'd have no idea what we were getting into, therefore no idea of anything bad. Sometimes it's better off to be naive.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #13
Inactive

martid HB User

Hi Valerie finally registered. Martid

Old 04-10-2004, 06:48 AM   #14
(female)

knorr HB User

Hi Marti,
Nice to see you here too! I know you can offer a wealth of info to some of the people here. Will talk to you soon.
Valerie

Old 04-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #15
Inactive

Pyroenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliput
..I had all 4 of mine done at once, and the only thing that bothered me was after I woke up from my nap. I cried. I don't know why, but I did. It was kind of funny. I guess it's a reaction to the meds, because I've heard of several people doing this. I wasn't in pain at all...
Me too! At least, I *think* I cried when I woke up... I was a bit too loopy to remember

I had all of mine out Jan. 2003, and I was only 14. The worst part was right before the surgery, when I was on the table thingy and my Dad walked out of the room... but when I woke up, there he was Afterwards, I didnt have to walk out to the car cus I got to use a wheelchair, which was great. In the following few weeks, I slept a lot at home (it was during winter break, so I didnt get to miss school ). The worst healing experience I had was eating solid foods before I could fully chew again... I got veeery sick that night... Not pleasant. Probably the grossest part of the whole this was cleaning out the holes in my gums where my teeth were >.< But, it felt really good to clean them too. To all of you who are nervous, you really have nothing to worry about. No pain, lots of attention, and a reason for being a crazy nut

Closed Thread