It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 06:14 PM   #1

dawnmo HB User
No crown after root canal?

I just got a root canal, and I think it's going pretty good. It's a bit tender when I bite down on something, but other than that, it's okay.

The root canal was performed on my top left canine. The dentist put a filling it at first, but that didn't work, so he did the root canal and then redid my filling. He did not put a crown on and said it was not necessary because of the location of the tooth and the fact that it doesn't get used much (I have an overbite and tend to bite with my bottom teeth, rather than my top ones).

Does anyone know if this is common practice? I did some research on root canals and I read that the tooth can become brittle and more prone to fracture after a root canal, so a crown should be placed on the tooth. So I am confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennifer8216 HB User
Re: No crown after root canal?

Yes you are right in the idea that teeth do become more brittle after having a root canal. Anterior teeth, which does include the canines, can be ok with out having a crown. The back teeth absolutely need to have crowns because there is so much biting force on these teeth.
I think your doctor is doing whats best for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: No crown after root canal?

You are right over time because the nerve of the tooth has been removed. Depending on how much tooth structure was removed that should determine if a crown should be placed. Front teeth are also smaller then back teeth and the tooth structure could be removed faster. If I made any sense there. At my office my doctor puts a crown on almost every root canal tooth. 9 out of 10 time we do crowns. You can never predict when the tooth is going to become britle and brake. Like the post before said. You doctor has seen this tooth and he knows.

Closed Thread