It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 06:41 AM   #1

sim884 HB User
Immediate Dentures, Mouth Sores!!!

Lets see where to begin. I am a 33 yr old mom of four. I had all my top teeth extracted (12) and one lower extracted on March 22, 04. That left me with 9 natural teeth on bottom. I have had numerous teeth pulled in the past. I had only 21 natural teeth when I started this journey. I had immediate dentures placed in the top the day of the extractions. My dentist said he is going to wait for the bottom to heal completely before fitting me for my partial bottom plate. Was very very sore for the first week. Was told not to remove at all for the first week. Went in on March 29 for a check up. He did some adjustments. I thought that the stitches was causing my pain. In fact it was due to three mouth sores under the top immediate plate. He told me that after the adjustments that I should feel a whole lot better in a few days. And to use Zilactin on the sores. I have been doing that. The sores are almost unbearable. The plate floats a little (feel salvia between the plate and gums) I thought maybe if i used adhesive that it would hold the plate in place and ease the discomfort on the sores. That didnt help a bit. I will not be using the adhesive again anytime soon. The extraction sites are not sore at all. Just the mouth sores are driving me bananas. I am to go in on April 12 for another appt. He has told me that he wont be doing a whole lot of adjusting because I will be getting a whole new plate on the top once all the healing is complete. And to use adhesive if they become too loose.
He is a great dentist. He is very patient and caring and a devoted person to community service. I emailed him back in Jan. about my dental problems and informed him that I dont have dental insurance or the credit for dental credit services. I went in for three visits for pics, xrays etc. He didnt charge me a penny for all of that. After discussing with his partner and office staff, He informed me that he and his staff wanted to help me if i could agree to a down payment of $225 and monthly payments of $75. I agreed with a quickness. Then came the BIG SURPRISE! He informed me that his staff would be donating all of their services free of charge to help me, I would have to pay a total of $900 of the $5000 bill. So after the downpayment I owed $675. That would cover all extractions, all office visits, Top immediate denture, Permanent denture (after all is healed), and partial bottom denture. He is the Vice President of the Dental Board in our city. He teaches at various lectures. I'm just in awe at the commitment he has placed in my care. I would love to openly thank him. I just dont know about revealing his name publicly, dont want to cause him problems with everyone trying to get him to grant them the same benefits. He donates his time and services at the local homeless shelter as well. He told me that He normally takes on a case such as mine with the same benefits about once a year. I am so grateful to this man. He is trully a wonderful person!!
Now for the question, How should I explain my mouth sores to him so that I might better get him to understand. If I had no mouth sores under the immediate I am sure I could be eating very well at this point. Just when I try to chew the plate rubs those sores and its unbearable. So I stick to soft stuff. And try not to chew much at all so it wont rub the sores.
Oh by the way does anyone have problems with their lips getting extremely dried out. I am addicted to chap stick at this point lol.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any replies that might be helpful for me, I would be so grateful. thanks Dena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 07:12 AM   #2

mysticvenus HB User
Re: Immediate Dentures, Mouth Sores!!!

I would go back to the dentist and tell him where the sore spots are. He can make adjustments to make the feel better.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #3

sim884 HB User

Thats what I plan on doing. I'm just an impatient sort lol. But I am truly happy with the smile that I have now. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Dena

Old 04-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #4

mysticvenus HB User

The sore spots will eventually work there way out as your gums heal and recede but then you have the other problem of the dentures not fitting and being loose, so you go back to the dentist to have a soft reline done and the sore spots start over again. I know it sounds like a vicious circle but after awhile, you've healed up completely and things start to feel pretty good. I've had made for 3 months now and they don't hurt at all. Just hang in there.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:33 PM   #5

shantox73 HB User

you may wanna make sure that you wear the plate a complete 24 hours before you go back so that he may have a chance of actually "seeing" the sore spots, i know it sounds painful but i have read that on many denture care sites. dunno if i could do it myself or not =(. is there anychance that the sore spots are actually bonechips trying to work their way out ? i have some bone trying to come out and its painful if the plate rubs them

Last edited by shantox73; 04-06-2004 at 10:34 PM.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:43 AM   #6

sim884 HB User

Well I think I will do that 24 hr idea and I think I am going to skip the Zilactin the day of the appt. I am pretty sure they are sores. Look a lot like canker sores. I have had bone chips before when I had a tooth pulled it doesnt feel like that. He told me that I had a small sore last time I went in and he did some adjusting I guess it just needs to be adjusted a little more cuz the sore didnt go away. Its been a week and a half since then. Have an appt on Monday so I am going to just hang in til then. I have found it helps a little when I apply the medicine to wait a bit before I put the teeth back in gives my mouth a little bit to have the saliva coat the mouth before i slide them back in. Before I was brushing, rinsing, applying med, waiting for it to dry, which also dried my mouth out and then popping em right back in, I think that was worse. Did much better last night the new way. Acutally ate a chocolate donut, I CHEWED IT!!!!! So I will stick with this plan for now lol. Thanks for all the replies, sure helps so have someone that can relate. :-) Dena

Old 08-20-2004, 02:37 PM   #7

kristy lee HB User

Hi--what a dental adventure! I don't know much about dentures but I do know that they are one cause of canker sores. I can always zap mine right away with Cankermelts which is a fairly new product. I found it on Amazon.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:32 AM   #8

totuck HB User

I just had all upper and lower teeth pulled and temporary plates put right in on 7/28. I was told to wear them 24/7 for the first. I had an appointment for 7 days after extractions and seat to have stitches taken out; however by day six I could not stand the pain so I took them out. You should have seen me trying to get them back in for my appointment. WOW. Anyway he took stitches out and saw all my sores from the plates. He ground some places down and told me to take out at night and rinse with salt water. I went back three more times to have them ground more. Now, since last grinding the feel fine ...it's been three weeks now. I think he got 'em where they should be. Hang in there and keep going back. He would grind and then a sore would pop up in a different place.

Old 08-27-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
(female)

muppet HB User

Try rinsing with warm salt water a few times a day, and stupid me found out that Benzodent works quite well.I tried it several months ago, and couldn't even get it to stick to the sore spot.When I got my new dentures a month ago, they told me to take some Benzodent and rub it on the inside of the denture plate in the area where it is irritating your gums.Then put in your dentures. It will both numb the area good, and it really helps heal also.Lasts a LONG time also.It forms a thick coating that will come off easy, with the warm salt water.My dentist gave me several samples, but you can buy it at Wal-Mart,very inexpensive.Good luck

Closed Thread