It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #1

JackOfHearts HB User
Had my oral surgery today and new dentures!

Well, I'm home now. Had my oral surgery today at 930am.

Is it normal to have some bleeding afterwards? I had gauze in my mouth afterwards and they were totally soaked. I took them out, and I kept on spitting out blood. Thankfully, that part is over with.

These dentures really feel weird. I hope can I get used to them soon. And I feel as if I am going to have to learn how to speak all over again

Old 04-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #2

gossgal HB User
Re: Had my oral surgery today and new dentures!

WOW! good for u jack of hearts!Yes bleeding is normal..i bled for almost 2 days! not heavy though.DONT spit!....lol just let it drool out over the sink, toliet etc...Good way to get dry socket. I didnt get my immediate dentures as im going the old fashioned way..total extraction 4/1. Kepp my posted to how you are doing...hugs gossgal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 11:51 AM   #3

Soland5 HB User

Glad to hear that you got through it alive ((((((((((hugs))))))))))) and from what I heard a little patience and time helps you get through the adjustment to the dentures.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:44 PM   #4

sim884 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Had my oral surgery today and new dentures!

Congrats!!! the first couple days are the hardest. Take some adjusting but I'm sure you will do fine. Like they said bleeding is normal but just dont spit cant say that enough. Dry socket is so much worse than the pain of extraction. Good Luck! Keep us posted. I am at 2 1/2 weeks post-extraction lol myself. Still learning to eat lol. Take care. Dena

Old 04-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #5

mysticvenus HB User

Congrats!!!, yes bleeding for a couple of days is normal. The dentures will help stop the bleeding sooner as they kinda act like a band-aid. Just take it easy, one step at a time and you'll do fine. I hope you like your new smile!!!!

Old 04-07-2004, 05:41 PM   #6

Yos HB User

Hi once again Jack,

Congrats on the successful surgery. It sounds like you're doing fine so far. Don't worry, you'll get used to them. If you're like most new denture wearers you'll soon be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

The first few weeks are usually the most difficult because that's when most of the change happens in your mouth. If you have any swelling now it will likely go down in a day or two. After that the gums and jaw bone begins to shrink. Most of that shrinkage happens in the first month which means that the dentures won't fit properly for very long. That will make it even more difficult to learn how to talk and eat with the dentures.

For the next couple of days don't worry too much about talking or eating. Rinse with salt water often and keep the dentures in 24/7 except for cleaning or if they are too painful to wear. Do all you can to help your gums heal properly because it's the only chance you get.

Expect a few sore spots in the next week or so. Hopefully you'll be spared bone or tooth fragments. Expect to make a few trips to your dentist to have these little problems sorted out. In the meantime, if you have any questions just ask. As you can read there are lots of us here who have "been there, done that" which is more than your dentist can claim

Good luck Jack!

Yos

Old 04-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #7

JackOfHearts HB User

Right now, my biggest challenges are:
  1. Talking - my tongue simply isn't used to the top denture at all. Also, my tongue seems to want to roll back to the back of my mouth, and I get this occasional gag reflex.
  2. Eating - I can only eat soft pasta.

I do like my new smile, though I haven't "smiled" in years and I don't even remember how to "smile" naturally anymore. I guess I just need practice!

I'm going to see my dentist tomorrow. She requested to "personally" see me tomorrow because she wanted to be the 1st to take out my dentures and clean them, and also show me how to do that as well. I count myself very lucky to have a caring professional like her!

Last edited by JackOfHearts; 04-07-2004 at 09:16 PM.

Old 04-08-2004, 05:32 AM   #8
(female)

knorr HB User
Cool Re: Had my oral surgery today and new dentures!

undefined
Hi Jack,
I am exactly 3 weeks into my new smile and yes, there is a bit of an adjustment period. Just when you think your getting used to eating and talking, the swelling will go down and the denture will loosen up causing you to have to relearn these things again! At first, my denture fit so tight I had a hard time taking it out to clean, but after a week, the swelling went down and the stitches came out, and I had to use adhesive. Just had my first soft relign, and it's made a huge difference in the fit. I can eat most anything at this point, but am still careful about biting things with my front teeth. Don't worry - have patience - it does get better...and in a relatively short amount of time! Like you, I have to remind myself that it's ok to smile without my lips closed or my hand over my mouth....and that in itself makes it worth it!!!
There is life after dentures!!! Good luck.
~Valerie~

Old 04-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #9

JackOfHearts HB User

An update - and I'm somewhat concerned.

It has been 4 full days since I got my full upper and my lower partial. I have tried to eat food, but it just seems so unnatural to eat with these replacement teeth.

How long should I expect until I can try to eat normal foods again? I love pasta and all, but it may get old after a while. I'm not expectign to be able to start eating subs with my front teeth or anything. I just want to be able to chew small bits of like meat or something on the sides. I'm really trying not to get frustrated. though.

Is it also natural for them to feel a bit loose after just a few days?

Tonight will be the first night that I can take the new dentures out at night. My dentist on Thursday told me to keep them in at night a few extra nights to protect the gums, however I am now getting a bit of irritation on my upper front gums b/c I have had them in all the time save for a few minutes every day.

Old 04-11-2004, 04:50 PM   #10

Yos HB User

Hi Jack,

What you describe is normal, as a matter of fact, better than most new denture wearers if those are your only concerns so far. It sounds like the swelling in your gums is going down. That's why the dentures are starting to feel loose. They're going to become a lot more loose as your gums and jaw bone start to resorb (shrink). Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it except use adhesive once your gums have healed enough. It's also normal to get sores. Your gums are still tender and they're not used to the dentures. The dentures will likely have some areas that will rub against your gums and irritate them. If you get sore spots see your dentist so the offending part of the denture can be adjusted.

Between tender gums, the dentures being loose and having little experience wearing the dentures eating is going to be difficult for the next week or so. Start with small pieces of soft food and chew even amounts on each side of your mouth to prevent the dentures from tipping. Eating will become easier once you learn how the denture behaves when eating different kinds of foods. Chewing will also become easier as your gums heal, toughen up and can take more pressure from the denture. For most new denture wearers the defining moment for when they finally feel like they really fit and can actually eat with them is after the first soft reline. Some dentists do them sooner, some later. The average seems to be about 3 weeks. Talk to your dentist if you want to know when you can expect a soft reline.

At this point in time you need to be patient and not rush. You're going through both a healing and learning process. It takes time. Hang in there Jack. It gets easier with almost every day that goes by.

Yos

Last edited by Yos; 04-11-2004 at 04:57 PM.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:52 PM   #11

JackOfHearts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yos
Hi Jack,

What you describe is normal, as a matter of fact, better than most new denture wearers if those are your only concerns so far. It sounds like the swelling in your gums is going down. That's why the dentures are starting to feel loose. They're going to become a lot more loose as your gums and jaw bone start to resorb (shrink). Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it except use adhesive once your gums have healed enough. It's also normal to get sores. Your gums are still tender and they're not used to the dentures. The dentures will likely have some areas that will rub against your gums and irritate them. If you get sore spots see your dentist so the offending part of the denture can be adjusted.

Between tender gums, the dentures being loose and having little experience wearing the dentures eating is going to be difficult for the next week or so. Start with small pieces of soft food and chew even amounts on each side of your mouth to prevent the dentures from tipping. Eating will become easier once you learn how the denture behaves when eating different kinds of foods. Chewing will also become easier as your gums heal, toughen up and can take more pressure from the denture. For most new denture wearers the defining moment for when they finally feel like they really fit and can actually eat with them is after the first soft reline. Some dentists do them sooner, some later. The average seems to be about 3 weeks. Talk to your dentist if you want to know when you can expect a soft reline.

At this point in time you need to be patient and not rush. You're going through both a healing and learning process. It takes time. Hang in there Jack. It gets easier with almost every day that goes by.

Yos
When you mention a "reline", what is done specifically?

I'm really trying not to rush too much - I'm just trying to get a timeline in my head so I know what to expect and when.

I think a big part of the 'irritation' is that I have had to wear these pretty much non stop except for a few minutes each day to take them out and clean them. Tonight will be the first night I'm allowed to leave them out at night - hopefully my gums will feel better tomorrow.

I'm going to see my oral surgeon on Tuesday for a follow up by the way. And tomorrow, I'm kind of nervous. It will be my first day back to work after my surgery. I'm kinda wondering what kind of reaction I will get from people when they notice I am actually smiling and such. I'm still having a bit of trouble talking, but it's getting better day by day.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:55 PM   #12
(male)

GRCS HB User

Hey Jack ..Congrats on your new smile...Ive been following everyones progress & expierences in preparation for my own journey down this path...my original appt on the 2nd was cancelled due to the dentist sickness & was rescheduled till 4/30 due to bad timing of the dentist office's annual 2 week vacation..lol (my luck!)....From what Ive read of your posts and the posts of others you seem to be exactly where you should be at this point....Good Luck at work tomorrow and please let us know how it went and what it was like for you...

Old 04-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #13

Yos HB User

Hi again Jack,

A soft reline is basically a plastic like goop with the consistancy of a thick glue which is put on the inside of the denture and then pressed into your mouth. It's liquid enough to fill all the spaces between your gums and the denture and stiff enough so the dentist can set the bite without the denture shifting. The "goop" cures and hardens quickly. You should be able to eat again within a couple of hours. The only down side to a soft reline is the terrible taste that sticks around for about 24 hours. But it's worth it. You'll be amazed how well the denture fits once it's done. I had my first soft reline done after 20 days.

Your dentures should fit well and comfortably enough to wear 24/7 without developing sores or causing irritation. Taking them out should always be an option and not a necessity. Sores and irritation will happen at the stage you're at now so take the dentures out to give your gums and mouth a rest when needed. Just remember that it helps your dentist to see a sore the denture causes in order to adjust the denture. Make sure you wear the dentures for a few hours before going for an adjustment.

On average, if there are no complications, it seems to take about 3 to 4 weeks to reach the point where the dentures fit well and you can eat comfortably and confidently. Sometimes it's sooner, sometimes it's later. Even simple things like bone or tooth fragments can affect a persons progress. There are a lot of dependencies.

I hope your first day back at work went well. I hope the oral surgeon finds that you're healing as expected too. Good luck!

Yos

Old 04-12-2004, 08:29 PM   #14

JackOfHearts HB User

Well today wasn't as good as I thought.

It's still difficult for me to speak. It's going to take some time (I guess) for me to get used to speaking with a full upper denture. I did have to go back to the dentist office to have some adjustments done. The denture was really bothering my gag reflex, and plus I was getting a sore spot on the front of my gums.

My lower partial isn't really bothering me, which surprises me.

My upper denture is kinda rocking back and forth right now. The dentist told me that she can't really adjust for that right now; once my gums recede, my denture will actually fit better. I hope she's right. I am just trying to be patient right now. The denture STILL feels quite unnatural to me.

FWIW, a few people did notice I had some work done, and gave me some compliments about my new smile. I wish I felt wonderful though. Although I have a nice smile, I have a seemingly long road ahead of me getting used to having this thing in my mouth. I'm frustrated that I can't eat anything that I really like right now - I'm starting to not like pasta very much.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:37 PM   #15

mysticvenus HB User

Jack:

Hang in there. I know how fustrated you must feel right now. I felt the same way. All I wanted was to be able to eat what I wanted again. Even with my decayed, broken teeth, I could still eat pretty much what I wanted. Then all of a sudden it seemed I couldn't eat anything but mushy, soft food. I hated it. I'm almost 4 months post extraction. I can pretty much eat what I want. Sometimes I may have to let it soften a little in my mouth before I chew but I'm not having too many problems. I even ate corn on the cob right off the cob. I couldn't do that with my old teeth. It will get better just keep plugging along. Look back to where you were right after your extractions, you can eat stuff now that you couldn't eat then, right? Just take it one day at a time and celebrate anything new that you are able to eat. It keeps your spirits up. You've already hit rock bottom so every day now is one step closer to the top of the hole.

Closed Thread