It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #1

BRC777 HB User
Question Thanks to those who responded to my post. I really appreciated it.

Hello, I am new to this board. I had a severe toothache four days ago and the dentists said I needed a root canal, but it would cost me more than $600.00. So, to get me out of pain and try and save my tooth for less money (all I could afford at the time) he perfomed a temporary filling. The pain is stopped. But I was wondering how long the temporary filling is liable to last. I otherwise have good teeth and I hate for the dentist to have to pull my tooth (since it is one of my back bottom jaw tooth), but I do not have the $600.00 for the full root canal. It has only been four days and my tooth feels fine but I have noticed that temporary filling is starting to sink below (it has made a depression) in the middle of the existing filling. Does this mean that the filling is begining to deteriorate (come out) or is this sort of sinking normal. Any comments would be greatfully appreciated. THANK YOU and GOD BLESS!!

Last edited by BRC777; 04-11-2004 at 02:03 PM.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

ok4now HB User
Re: HELP! Does anyone know about how long a temporary filling lasts

Hi...temporary fillings may last a week or so, but it will definitely deteriorate and need to be replaced.....what is happening is the deterioration. If you go to your local pharmacy they will have temporary filling material that you can mix yourself and replace your filling as needed...it is called DentTemp. Possibly you could set up a payment plan with your dentist? Can family members help you with a loan....possibly use a credit card? What he has done has bought you some time, but try not to wait until it becomes a more serious problem.

Last edited by ok4now; 04-10-2004 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I temporary filling can last up to 3 months. Thats how much time my dentist will allow to see if a tooth needs a RCT(root canal). I guess i would also depend on what kinda of temporary filling material he used. My dentist uses what is called IRM. You can get three months out of it usually before it starts to break away. Save your pennies it's important to save the tooth. GOOD LUCK.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #4

BRC777 HB User

thanks for reading and responding to my posts. I hope that the temp. fillining will last more than a week or two. By then I ought to have some of the money saved up. The only thing I fear is the "pain" coming back. I have had some medical problems that involved pain before. But I have never experienced the pain that this tooth gave me. It was a sharp throbbing pain (like someone had stuck a knife in my jaw). Anyway, enough pitty parting myself. But I do appreciate those of you who took the time to respond to my post. THANKS.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

ok4now HB User

If you are gentle on the side with the temp....I am sure it will last quite awhile...as I said you can always go to the drugstore and pick up the DentTemp for a couple of dollars it the temp did become a problem. You more than likely will have no pain as the tempororary cement does "breath"...unlike a permanent filling, so no gases will build up to cause any discomfort. Best of luck

Closed Thread