It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Inactive

jasonandlee HB User
Soon to be denture wearer

I will be getting dentures in June can anyone help with how to over come your fears.. I will only have Novacaine and I was wondering how bad the sounds were..I was thinking on taking a personal cd player if allowed. I don't like knowing I am confined to an area and wondering if anyone knows how long it usually takes for the extractions.. I have 28 teeth to extract.. Not sure if I will have top and bottom done at one time or not. I will base that on if he says I have deep roots or if it will be easy extractions.. Did anyone go w/ the bright smile.. I have half my family saying get natural color and the other saying go w/ a beautiful white smile.. I will be getting immediates so I could always change the color w/ the permanent.. Can anyone give suggestions on things to eat the first weeks.. I am already a small lady can't afford to loose wait .. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
(female)

knorr HB User
Re: Soon to be denture wearer

If you read these boards and look at some of the old posts, you will see that you have LOTS of company on this board!!! We have all been in your shoes - but most of us will tell you that we'd do it all over again. The waiting and thinking about it are much worse than actually having it done. Many people on this board are new to dentures and are sharing their experiences and helping eachother thru - you will find a wealth of information and support here. I am 4 weeks into my immediate denture on top and can tell you what worked for me in the dentists chair....I wore a very dark pair of sunglasses so I didn't have to stare into the dentists face during the whole procedure, and I did take a set of headphones, and turned them up fairly loud...it definately helps. As far as what to eat those first few weeks....stock up on soups, mashed potatoes, pudding, yogurt, pasta, etc. - you will move on to softer foods from there and in a relatively short amount of time. I thought because I was eating all carbs (potatoes, pasta, etc.) I wouldn't lose any weight, but I ended up dropping a whole size, and couldn't afford to lose that ...you can supplement with Ensure, which should help with the weight loss, but still expect to lose a few pounds.
I had 11 teeth extracted on top, then an avioplasty <sp?> and the immediate put in and I was out of the dentist office in exactly 2 hours. For me, the extractions only took about 10 minutes!!! But the avioplasty is a bit more time consuming. I had novacaine and felt no pain during or after the extractions.
As I said, you'll find lots of support on this board, and I think most people will tell you that there is 'life after dentures' - so try not to cause yourself too many gray hairs over it (easier said than done I know)
~Valerie~
PS - I went a shade lighter than my natural teeth - the dentist told me that the key was to have people look at me and say 'wow, you look great, did you color your hair?" - not to be able to put their finger on exactly what had changed. I thought if I suddenly had WHITE teeth, it would be obvious to people....but I think it's a personal decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennifer8216 HB User

I think that anyone undergoing full mouth extractions would be scared. What would be scary is if they were thrilled about it!

I am not sure if you would be able to have a full mouth extraction at a general docs office. An oral surgeon maybe. The only reason being is doctors are not allowed to numb up an entire mouth at once. There is a limit as to what the doctor can inject. The doctors I have worked with only do half the mouth at a time, unless there were relatively few teeth to extract, not 28.

I think the CD player is an awesome idea. Some offices supply that to patients, you might ask if they have it already. And don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for a mild sedative. Whatever it takes to get you through your appointment, just bring someone to drive you home.

As for color of your dentures, please don't pick out dentures that are too white! You don't want a mouth full of Chicklets. And you will be seen a mile away if you come in with a mouth that white. Look at your natural tooth color and go 1 or 2 shades above that if you'd like. Nothing looks worse, in my opinion, than teeth that are shaded to white. It really needs to look natural.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2004, 11:11 PM   #4

laellis1975 HB User

Why not just get put out? I had this done a year and a half ago, both upper and lower, at the same time, I got put out for it, woke up at home hours later, and never felt a thing! It was great considering I was terrified of dentists! I would do it again in a heartbeat! It is so scary to think about having it done, but once it is over with, you will have no regrets! Best of luck to you!

Last edited by laellis1975; 04-16-2004 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 04-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #5

sim884 HB User

My extractions and deep cleaning on natural teeth took 2 hrs. I had 13 pulled. I agree with other posters, ask about the cd player. And the suggestion about the sunglasses seems like a real good idea too. I had an anti anxiety drug to take the day of mine and that really kept me calm. Soft foods like they said puddings etc for the first few days. As far as the color of the teeth. Go with what you want to have like you said you can always change your mind later for your permanent set. If you want WHITE WHITE then go with it you can always change later. But if you dont and you wanted it you might always be wondering what they would have looked like. Its all personal choice I think. I went with a shade that matched the natural teeth that were left. But if you are going for full dentures then that wouldnt apply. Good luck on your journey to a beautiful smile and check back often and post any questions, fears, etc we are all in this together around here lol. Nice sounding board for all of us that can relate to each other. Good LUCK!! Dena

Old 04-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #6

Sae HB User

My very best wishes to you. I am trying to decide if I should have it done too. My dentist quoted me a price of $12,000 to $18,000 to restore some of my teeth. There are no guarantees that all the root canals, crown lengthenings, etc. will even work. The partial he is going to give me is over $4,000. How can anyone afford this?

Old 04-19-2004, 05:51 AM   #7
Inactive

jasonandlee HB User

Sae I was told it would take 8000 to fix mine four years ago and started the small stuff..I had 4 fillings and stopped going due to my kids starting to go and needed work and couldn't afford both...Well I am glad I did cause now only 4 years later the fillings he done has come out.. I would have been really upset to pay all that money to have to do it all over again..So I am going for the dentures and I am going thru a denture chain so there cost is a lot less since dentures is all they do...Not sure how many of my teeth will be simply or complex but the most it is going to cost me 4500 and that is getting premium teeth and buying them in the new denture wearer package.. I have insurance that will pay a 1000 but the rest is going on a good ole thing called credit card..

Old 04-19-2004, 07:33 AM   #8

Sae HB User

I so very much appreciate this board. To hear exactly what people are going through is exactly what I need rather than the sales pitch of the dentists. I wish you the very best and speedy recovery and comfortable dentures. I just bought some baby food and have purchased soft foods and wonder what will happen today at my dental visit. I don't know what a denture chain is.
Sae

Old 04-19-2004, 08:17 AM   #9
Inactive

jasonandlee HB User

I do not think you are allowed to say company names because that would be advertisement.. you will be banned.. What I meant is a company that only does dentures and they are nationwide.. I know what you mean about this board.. I have taken so many notes and learned so much... I had thought about trying differnt baby foods so I know which one I like when that day comes.. I love banana baby food..lol.. I keep kids in my home so I have a little experience w/babyfood.. If you do get dentures you will need protein.. Alot of people drink protein drinks but I read somewhere if the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE is more than 5g, don't bother with it and it needs to have 15g to 28 g of protein.. You can get this powder at vitamin stores. That should build your energy up.. Good luck...

Old 04-23-2004, 08:30 PM   #10
(female)

krikin HB User

I am getting ready to get immediate dentures on my lower plate and I've noticed some of you say it doesn't matter about the color if you are getting dentures that way because that's not your permanent dentures. My dentist said he would put my denture in and then in about 6 months give me a re-line. He never mentioned anything about making me another denture. Has anybody else had it done this way ?

Old 04-23-2004, 08:38 PM   #11
Inactive

martid HB User

Some people do it that way to save money on a second set of dentures. The problem is that the immediate will be bulkier from the reline, but some people don't mind that, plus you don't have a spare denture in case you loose or break the one you are wearing. Your dentist is probly using the same color as your upper plate which is normal. Marti.d

Old 04-24-2004, 12:47 AM   #12

deltadragonflie HB User

I have top and bottom immediate dentures and will have them relined in May. He told me I could get them permantly relined at 3 months and he would file off as much as possible to keep them from being bulky since my gums have shrunken so much around them these last two months. Looking forward to a better fit soon.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:55 AM   #13

Tessalou HB User

Sorry about that---The above post from Deltadragonflie is mine. This is my daughters user name on the Healthboards and I didnít realize she had signed on before me.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:35 PM   #14

nativegrl HB User

I am getting 8 teeth pulled but my dentist wants to wait 1 month before I get my top plate, has anyone else done this. I am scared of how I am going to look. I am just anxious to get this over and be able to smile again, I haven't smiled in 4 years.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:01 PM   #15
Inactive

jasonandlee HB User

At certain places you can buy what is called a new denture wearer package.. You get an immediate and then in 6 months to a year you will get a permanent.. this is mainly at places that specialize in dentures..I am looking at 1000. for a full premium set.. that will be immediates ,adjustments , followups, reline and permanent w/ 2 months of adjustments for them..they do have cheaper dentures also with the package . the reason I am not getting put to sleep to have it done is because I have so many teeth to remove the oral surgeon charges way to much per extraction plus almost 500 to be put to sleep.. Can't see spending the extra money on myself.. I have a seven year old who will need braces in the next couple of years and a 14 year old who will need a car.. I bought a mp3/ radio handset that fits on your wrist this weekend so when I do go I will cut it up as loud as I can stand... lol..Thinking about carrying me some of those blinders that you wear over your eyes at night cause that is the main thing I don't like is someone in my face like that.. Yuck..

Closed Thread