It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 07:46 AM   #1

wishcametrue HB User
Question Broken tooth or filling? problems

I have either a broken tooth or filling am unsure which one. It is on the tooth that is 2 in front of my wisdom on the bottom. 1/4 of one end (not 1/4 of the whole tooth) is broken but am unsure if that is the tooth or the filling when looking at the 1 other filling I have. I am unable to go to the dentist for a few weeks. Do you think this may need a crown or just a simple refilling? Thanks so much

Melanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2004, 09:07 AM   #2

ysco HB User
Re: Broken tooth or filling? problems

Hi

The filling is more likely to break/fall than the tooth itself, unless you get some hit in this area. If you got an amalgam (black) filling, then its more likely have to be replaced if the chip that broke is large, while if you got a composite (white) filling it might could be repaired, if the broken part is small enough and did not effect the stability of the rest of the filling/tooth.

Anyway, you'll have to see a dentist for consultation.

good luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: Broken tooth or filling? problems

It's really going to depend on how it broke and how large the filling was/is. If it was an old amalgam filling,then you may need a crown(depending on the size and how old the filling was.Amalgam fillings(silver ones)are mechanically locked into the tooth,so the dentist has to remove more tooth structure to does this. The material is then packed in.What happens over time is that the large amalgam filling becomes a wedge for the tooth. When you bite and chew on it the tooth surrounding the filling flexs. Think about this, a large amalgam filling and how many years it's been there. Over time this makes the tooth that is left weak and could cause it to brake. If it's a resin filling (white) then the chance of having it repaired are better. The resin filling are bonded to the tooth and this the dentist doesn't have to remove unnessary tooth structure. this filling are better for the tooth. With them being bonded to the tooth they don't create the wedge like the silver fillings do. Even with a large amount of tooth structure missing a dentist will recommend a crown, b/c the more tooth structure that is gone the weaker the tooth and the more likely it will break. Call your dentist and let him take a look. He is going to be able (have to) take an xray and tell you what is going on with that tooth.Good luck.

Closed Thread