It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
Still hurting six days later

I had my lower left wisdom tooth (slightly impacted) extracted six days ago, and still feel rather intense pain that ibuprofen only slightly helps. Eating remains uncomfortable. I was back at the surgeon two days ago to have my stitches taken out and he said it looked fine - no infection.

Can anyone tell me how long this pain will last? Is my case unusual?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 11:30 AM   #2

HELLOKITTEN HB User
Re: Still hurting six days later

The pain should not last this long but it all depends on different individuals. You may want to check with the surgeon again maybe some damages were made during the procedure that he doesn't even realize it. Ask your dentist to prescribe you some painkiller not over the count ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #3

Ima_Chick_N2 HB User

I would definately check with the dentist. I didn't have any pain at all when I got mine out last week. Mine wasn't impacted though, so that probably makes a difference. A friend of mine got hers out too and she was sore for about a week. So, I guess it's differrent for differrent people.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:52 PM   #4

Sae HB User

I wonder if you might have some bone splinters trying to work their way out. I had mine out and this happened. Returned about a month later and the oral surgeon had to remove them and now it is fine. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:35 PM   #5

dral HB User

Intense pain 6 days after lower wisdom tooth extraction is most likely dry socket, which means the blood clot dissolved and the bone is exposed. Your dentist can easily treat this with medicated packing. it usually takes several days to resolve.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Update:

I just got back from the oral surgeon for a checkup and he found nothing wrong. Told me to call again if it's still sore in a week, and to continue taking ibuprofen. Glad to hear it's OK, but it still hurts.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Nine days out and my wisdom tooth extraction is still bothering me a lot. Oral surgeon said call him if it's still hurting after two weeks - which would be five days from now. I've been taking ibuprofen around the clock, but it doesn't help much. I was thinking of trying Vicodin again, though it makes me nauseated.

I've looked around the Internet and now I'm worried about possible nerve damage (the tooth was partially impacted). But I don't have tingling or any of the other sensations associated with nerve damage - just pain. I feel like someone punched me in the jaw - the pain radiates around the entire left side of my mouth - not just where the tooth was. (The doctor said there's no sign of problems with the healing process, by the way - I went two days ago for a check-up)

Any suggestions, thoughts?

Old 04-23-2004, 07:40 AM   #8

dral HB User

Read my last response, I am sure you have dry socket. Your surgeon can easily treat this with medicated packing.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:15 PM   #9
Inactive

martid HB User

Hey Danimal15, if you had nerve damage, it probably would not hurt, you would experience numbness in you jaw, or you lip, and you probably would do some drowling also. I'm sure the oral surgeon knows what he is doing. If your tooth was impacted, you're probably going to be sore for a long while. Maybe you should try embessol (can't remember how to spell) on you gum. Hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted. Marti.d

Old 04-25-2004, 09:06 AM   #10

firefly31 HB User

I am 4 days after getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed, and I am still in intense pain. I am assuming dry socket, but I have no idea. I have an appt to see the dentist on Wednesday, so hopefully nothing (infection wise) is wrong, and he can help with the pain. I am living on vicodin right now, and am worried about when the prescription runs out.

Alison

Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Im on my 8th day now, and just went to dentist for the 1 week checkup after getting all 4 wisdom teeth pulled. Well i am only having pain in bottom right which was impacted, just barely any was poking out gum. Went back told him the problem i was having, and he told me it was dry socket. So he put some nasty tasting brown stuff in it and i think something down in there, not sure. And i have to do the whole, no spitting, no gargling, no rinsing thing for another day or so. The pain does get really bad, i hate when it does it when im trying to sleep, so damn frustrating. Anyways other than that, glad i got them out, they where gonna give me problems later anyways.

Old 04-29-2004, 01:24 AM   #12

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Exclamation Re: Still hurting six days later

and if the bone is exposed it has the chance to really become infected. it may already be. a bone infection is serious stuff, i have one from a porcelai veneer, subsequent root canal, apicoectomy (perhaps you should have this done), tooth extractio to 3 debridements and 2 lost years in pain.

DO NOT LET THEM TELL YOU IT IS A DRY SOCKET - it's crap, a catch-all phrase when they are not exactly sure, but it usually means INFECTION. GET ON THE RIGHT antibiotics, get a culture and apico - go to someone who SPECIALIZES in this - a university dental teacher is good.

I wish you the best - keep us posted,
TTFG

Closed Thread