It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

krikin HB User
How long after dentures can you speak properly?

I have read a lot of people say that it is more difficult to speak after getting dentures. Is this a long term problem or how long until you can speak like you used to??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
(female)

knorr HB User
Re: How long after dentures can you speak properly?

krikin,
Yours is probably the #1 most frequently asked question with people who are contemplating dentures....including myself....this was a BIG fear of mine....
I didn't find that it was as bad as I thought it was going to be. I definately thought there were a few letters that gave me more trouble than others, but I was the only one who seemed to notice. I have a teenager who would have been first in line to tell me if he noticed any speech challenges, but he never said a word!!! The first couple of days after my extractions, I had quite a bit of swelling, so the denture fit like a glove....it wasn't until the swelling started to subside and the immediate loosened up, that my tongue seemed to get in the way, and I had a bit of trouble with certain letters, but nothing that kept me hiding at home. In fact, I returned to my normal routine the day after my extractions. I was a little bit self conscious that people could tell I was wearing 'fake teeth' or that they could hear my speech was off....but my closest friends and family assured me this was all in my head.
I am almost 6 weeks into my new smile, and although there have been bumps in the road, they've been pretty minor, and I would do it again in a minute.
For me, it has been worth it to have a smile that I can be proud of and no more painful teeth!!!
The best advice I can give you is to practice, practice, practice....sing in the car...sing in the shower.....talk to yourself.....read out loud....it helps to speed up the process!
~Valerie~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #3

JackOfHearts HB User

Well, coming from very recent experience, I have had my dentures for almost 3 weeks now. For the most part I can speak pretty well, I would say I'm at about 90 percent from where I was before the dentures.

Remember - your tongue has to get used to the dentures, plus if you were missing a lot of teeth, that impacts your speech as well. My dentist told me that you are basically learning to speak all over again, just like you were a child, except it's a bit harder b/c you are a bit more conscious of how you sound. However, I practiced quite a bit. When I was driving to and from work, I would read road signs, sing along to my MP3s on my car, stuff like that.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
(female)

krikin HB User

Thank you guys so much for all your help!! I go tomorrow for impressions and am actually looking forward to getting some new teeth I can be proud of!!

Old 04-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

knorr HB User

Good luck today Kirkin -
Let us know how it goes....
~Valerie~

Closed Thread