It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #1

dely1112 HB User
Food while eating sticks on denture

Hello everyone, first time I've posted - I have had complete dentures, four weeks today. My problem is when I eat, food really sticks to the bottom denture (sides). I am getting a new set next week, because they made these (gums, fit, etc.) extremely too large. I can run my tongue over the top denture to try to clean the particles, but am completely unable to do so with the bottom. Once I get the smaller pair, will I be able to do better? I drink water with my meal, and swish a small amount between bites to try to clear the buildup, but this only helps a small amount.
Any suggestions, etc., will be appreciated!

Old 04-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Food while eating sticks on denture

Try taking smaller bites, chew thoroughly and drink the water after swallowing. You will learn to keep the food moving and less will stick to your dentures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #3

Tessalou HB User

Finally found someone with the same problem as me. I also get food stuck on the front of my dentures, especially any thing made with dough. I ask my dentist about it sticking so bad in the back around the gum line and assured me that it wouldn't be quite as bad when I get them permanently relined because it wouldn't be as thick and loose as it is now. I am now at a little past 12 week mark with dentures

Old 04-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #4

dely1112 HB User

I went to the dentist today, (I had my 4 week anniversary Tuesday), and they shaved about 1/4 off the sides - turns out the denture was WAY too big for my mouth. They did another soft reline, and I am much better. I think I just had lousy impressions before they pulled my teeth. I had a new set of dentures made, and should be getting the wax impression with the teeth in them Monday. If everything fits right, I'll have the new pair May 7th. It took them 5 trys when I had the impressions with my teeth, and my dentist claimed that since my teeth were crooked (due to gum disease and shifting), that's why my dentures were so wrong. They had the gums in the dentures so large that my lips didn't go all the way over them, making me look like a bunny. My appearance is much better now, but even more important I feel like I have half the stuff that was in my mouth before. I haven't eaten yet, but I'm positive that will be better also! Thanks for your input!
Debbi

Old 04-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
Inactive

martid HB User

Hi Deli, I think you'll find life is so much better with a good fitting denture. I know some dentists are better than other at taking impressions. I also know immediate never fit very well since impressions are taken before extraction, but yours sounded really bad. I'm glad you are more comfortable, and I'm sure you'll enjoy eating now. Breads and cheese are not great, they do have a tendency to stick to plastic. Take care. Marti.d

Old 04-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #6

dely1112 HB User

Thanks MartiD - Since it is my first denture, I didn't know what to expect, but I knew something was wrong. The part that upsets me is I practically had to beg to get my dentist to do something about it - and it was very noticable. My lips were actually bulging over the denture, changing my facial expression (unfavorably). I had the 2nd dentures made through him, but will not go there when I get my permanents. I think the dentist was trying, but he is extremely young, and may just lack the necessary experience. I didn't mind them taking 5 impressions, because that meant they were trying -- but if you saw how large they were, I am sure I was not THAT different (teeth crooked) to account for such a poor fit. Ah well, I've learned a lot this past month, maybe the biggest thing I've learned is that I am a lot stronger than I ever believed. While looking like a bunny isn't fun, and having a difficult time pronouncing my words due to the misfit, I have survived. While I would never wish dentures on anyone, it is not as bad as I feared. The relief from pain is a positive, the other -- no longer living behind my hand. Thanks! I have read many of your posts, and you are very positive and helpful in your replies. You are doing a fine service for many who are fearful, and feeling alone. That is another thing I have learned. I have been comforting many going through this (on another site), and I think that helps so many get through (and beyond) this. I bet you have many friends!
Take care,
Debbi

Old 04-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #7
Inactive

martid HB User

P.S. to Debbi, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you take the time now to help others, it's a tough thing to get through, but really it's not the end of the world as some people may think. Most people on this board are great, kind and very helpful. There was a person in particular that used to be a big help to new denture wearers, I read some of his (or her) posts in the archives files, and he or she was a wealth of informations. Helped me out a lot. I had my upper extractions done Feb 6, this year, also quit smoking that day, cold turkey as they say, not patch, pills or nothing. (not only did I ended up with a great smile, but also ended up tobacco free).Any way as I said he or she was great. I think the name is YOS or Yaos or something like that. I would like to thank that person. He or she gave a lot of time answering questions and helping out. I have seen any posts for him or her lately, guess the ball is in our corner now? ( something like that, I'm french so I never get these american phrases correct). Take care Deb Marti

Old 04-30-2004, 07:05 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Debbie- the impression process is the key to good fitting dentures. My dentist told me that if the impressions are not good, the dentures will not be good. He also said it is important for the dentist and the lab to have good lines of communication to insure that all of the necessary instructions are carried out. Most of the time the dental tech who actually constructs the dentures never sets eyes on the patient they are in a sense working blindly trying to read a blue print and constructing something that requires very close tolerances. Immediate dentures are guesswork at best since they were fitted before all the teeth were extracted. The dentist knows this and should be prepared to deal with it on a continuing basis. I personally think in many cases dentists feel that the patient is undergoing intense physical and emotional trauma right at the time of extraction and first denture insertion so exacting fit is not needed- they will have weeks to correct any mistakes or poor fit. They should take more time to explain how imprefect the fit of immediate dentures are and how many steps might be involved in getting them just right.
Hang in there- the benefits outweigh the problems.

Old 04-30-2004, 05:09 PM   #9

Yos HB User

Hi Marti,

You're very welcome and, for the record, I'm a he. Congrats on quitting smoking too! Not an easy thing to do at any time! I quit smoking 6 months before getting dentures. As a matter of fact, the savings helped pay for them I'm still hanging around and reply to a post every now and then. You just missed them I guess.

I've had my dentures for a year and a half now and I can say with confidence that there is life after dentures For those who are interested I have a full upper and partial lower. I still have two lower natural eye teeth that help stabilize the lower denture. I had all of my extractions (26) done at once under general anaesthetic and sent home with immediate dentures in my mouth. I started speaking better and eating more solid foods after my first soft reline (3 weeks after extractions) . In the next 4 months I had two more soft relines. At six months my immediate dentures were hard relined and have fit fine since. My hard relined immediates are not bulky or heavy and they fit so well that I don't need to use adhesive.

Hang in there everybody. Before you know it, it'll be a year and a half later for you too

Yos

Old 04-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #10
Inactive

martid HB User

Hi Yos. Nice to meet you and happy to hear you are doing so well. I remember some of your early posts. They have helped me out a lot. I have not use adhesive yet either. Hope I never have to. I still have immediate so I guess I can't complain. Again, great to hear from you. Marti

Old 05-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #11

dely1112 HB User

Thanks everyone. I have read YOS's inputs (on another denture site as well) - and I have to say all of you are great. After having the adjustments I mentioned, by life has turned around tremendously. As Sandybeech mentioned, it is hard to go from the impressions you had with "teeth" to the immediates and not have problems. On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I was a 10, and probably a worst-case-scenario example. MartiD: I got 10% off my second "immediates". Since it is only one month since extractions (March 30) - I am no where near ordering the permanents. However, I have had 5 relines in one month's time, so I think that speaks to the ill fitting denture issue. My dentures are 1/3 smaller now - if you can imagine. My son gets married May 15, and that is why I ordered the second immediates. Even if I had to pay for the 2nd pair, it is extremely important to me to get this right. I could probably live with this pair if I didn't have such an important occasion coming up. The adjustments they made solved about 90% of the problem. However, since the whole curve of the mouth was off, I have a pocket in the front two teeth area that causes me to "whistle" and they can't be solved with adjustments. Since the changes were made on Thursday, I'm learning what letters "s's" especially are causing me problems, and learning to go around them - but expect the new dentures to take care of that problem. Should only be a week for them to be completed.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:44 PM   #12
Inactive

jasonandlee HB User

Yos,
I just read that you said you still have your 2 teeth remaining in the bottom. I was wondering what you had. I am going to the dentist first week in June and can not make up my mind whether to try to save my 2 eye teeth and get a partial or get just go ahead w/ a full.. I have read on the board that a full denture in the bottom is awful and the people that I know that has partials hate them.. Is there any other options.. I am going to the affordable place (don't won't to be banned ) where you can get it done in a day but I have decided to do a previsit. I have way to many questions to do it in a day.. By the way could anybody offer me advice on what questions I should ask...

Old 05-02-2004, 04:27 PM   #13

gossgal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonandlee
Yos,
I just read that you said you still have your 2 teeth remaining in the bottom. I was wondering what you had. I am going to the dentist first week in June and can not make up my mind whether to try to save my 2 eye teeth and get a partial or get just go ahead w/ a full.. I have read on the board that a full denture in the bottom is awful and the people that I know that has partials hate them.. Is there any other options.. I am going to the affordable place (don't won't to be banned ) where you can get it done in a day but I have decided to do a previsit. I have way to many questions to do it in a day.. By the way could anybody offer me advice on what questions I should ask...
Jasonandlee let me know how you find this place as im thinking of using them for my permanents....thanks gossgal

Old 05-02-2004, 07:12 PM   #14

Yos HB User

Hi jasonandlee,

My teeth and gums were in real bad shape. My two front teeth had fallen out on thier own long before I even saw a dentist. My molars were crumbling apart and I had abcess after abcess. I had a pretty good idea that I would lose all my teeth. I was a bit surprised when the dentist suggested I keep the eye teeth. He said that they only needed fillings and cleaning. He also said they would make adjusting to the denture much easier.

I had less trouble with the bottom denture than I did with the top. That's the opposite of most people who get dentures. Having the natural teeth did help me get used to the denture quicker but I think I would have gotten used to it eventually anyway. I may have missed a lot of frustration getting used to the partial but on the flip side of the coin I still have two natural teeth that need a lot of care in order to make them last. I'm not sure if I made the right decision or not but I am happy with the decision I made because up to now I've had it easy compared to others and it doesn't look like I'm going to lose these eye teeth for a long time.

Write all your questions down. If you don't you probably won't remember all of them and chances are you'll forget to ask the most important ones. You also won't know what alot of the questions are until you've sat in the chair and had the oral examination. Even AD can't do dentures in a single visit (impressions need to made beforehand just to make the dentures). After that first appointment you'll have time to think about the options you're given and ask more questions. At best they'll do the extractions and send you home with dentures in a single day sometime after your initial consultation. Sometimes extractions are spread out over several visits. As a matter of fact, that should be one of the options the dentist should discuss with you.

A lot of the people here can probably answer your questions about wearing dentures better than a dentist (unless of course your dentist already wears dentures). It's one of those things you have to experience in order to understand. Good luck!

Yos

Last edited by Yos; 05-02-2004 at 08:10 PM.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:08 AM   #15
Inactive

jasonandlee HB User

Gossgal I will let you know.. Like I said I am not going till the first week of June..I am planning on the immediates and then going w/ the premiums.. I have to wait until sister in law gets out of school to keep my kids while I go...YOS when I called their 1800 no . to ask some questions I told the woman that I wanted to do a previsit.. She ask me why not do it all in a day and then I wouldn't have to pay twenty dollars for the previsit... My nerves could not handle going and doing it all in a day.. That would be an extremly long day... I have written down questions for about a month now.. Also took notes from the board like what to eat and not eat.. Which adhesive to use and how to use it.. So you have a partial.. Does it pull or make you eye teeth sensitive.. My husband was asking me yesterday why not do the tops and in Jan. when my dental insurance starts over do the bottoms.. What is your thoughts on this. He seems to think it will be better to get use to one at a time and not both top and bottom.. I am planning on going on the first monday and returning on whatever day they say is the slowest that same week.. Because of babysitting reasons.. I am going to have to travel 40 mins to this place how often do you have to return after getting the dentures.. Thanks for all the help I just don't want to get to the last week and all the questions start popping up and make a quick decision that I will regret or back out of going thru with it.. I have put it off to long..

Closed Thread