It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #1

boxerssa HB User
Reaction to dental blue light

Has anyone ever had a reaction to the dental blue light used in setting fillings?

This week was the third time this happened and now I know it is no coincidence. The day after my filling work is done, I get a lump on the roof of my mouth and canker-like sores on the inside of my bottom lip. After the lump on the roof, it turns into a blister and then pops. Pain!!! My mouth is a mess for several days. I saw my dentist the day after to adjust my bite, and she sent me to an oral surgeon right then. The dentist thought at first it might be a latex allergy, but the oral surgeon thinks its the stress of the dental work. He said we all have viruses living in our mouths, and the stress of having dental work activates mine.

I don't buy this because it never bothers me to go to the dentist and this has only happened fairly recently. I started thinking about it and am wondering if it could be the blue light. I looked around the internet and couldn't really find anything.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

Old 05-01-2004, 06:23 PM   #2

ysco HB User
Re: Reaction to dental blue light

How did you get to such conclusion? I never heard of anyone having any side effects after exposure to this blue light. As far as I know and from my experience this light is used locally to cure (harden) composite fillings. It does not cause any side effects.

There are various reasons why you may be experiencing your mouth sores, some of them may not be related to your previous dental work. But the blue light as the cause of these problems is definitely not a likely assumption, in my opinion.

I suggest you see your dentist for further consultation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I have never heard of this happening before. Maybe it could be from something else they are using. I don't know what it would be. Goodluck

Old 05-05-2004, 07:51 PM   #4

jskorch HB User

The light is just a glorified flashlight!!! Really!!!! Its used to harden the light sensitive filling material and some dental cements. Your dentist is right. We all have all kinds of BUGS in our mouths. Sounds like a virus to me. Dentist in college towns know when midterms and finals are near. Coldsore epidmics galore. Stress---any stress can and does trigger symptoms. The virus is always there but not always symptomatic.

Closed Thread