It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2004, 06:58 PM   #1

Delta HB User
Amalgam fillings

So i had my amalgam fillings taken out, well almost all of them. The dentist needed to keep a little bit in 2 or 3 teeth so that there was actually some tooth left. He used a rubber dam and the normal suction thing. I was just wondering if he did everything the correct way. I dont know if i was exposed to much of the vapors, i dont think that i swallowed any of the pieces. Is ther anything else that i should do?

Old 05-07-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: Amalgam fillings

If you are worried about the mercury content. It is very small and you should be fine. You have had them in there probably for a few years and you are ok. The mercury is very small in the amalgam. If i understand you correctly your dentist left a little in couple of teeth and then put a new filling over it. I don't understand why this was done. I have been in the dental field for 3 years know and we have always remove all the fill to put a new one in. How else would you make sure you get all the decay out. Amalgam fillings are known for recurrent decay. Since they are not bonded to the tooth over years they tend to break down and the margins of the filling around the tooth which could cause recurrent decay. I am not sure(if that is what he did) why that would be done that way. If the dentist was concerned about how much tooth was going to be left. Then he should have been talking to you about putting crowns on those teeth. That is the best treatment if it was the case. Hope i was of help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 07:04 AM   #3

Delta HB User

i am getting crowns on the two where he left some of the amalgam in, he may be taking it out before the crown actually goes in, im not sure though.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Brwneyez9.

My dentists wants to remove my old fillings that have been there for years and replaced them with white fillings. He says the old fillings have cracks in them. Is this the way to go these days? Would you have them replaced with the white fillings?

Old 05-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

Yes i would. You see like i said in the other post you can get recurrent decay under those filling because of the shrinkage over time. This type of fillings are mechanially locking into the tooth. The dentist has to remove more tooth structure for this types of filling to look them into place. If you have large fillings that are amalgam it can act like a wedge. You have a huge filling in the center and then you have to piece of tooth of each side of the large filling. When you bite down on it you can image what that is doing to your tooth. The tooth flexs and can break over time.You may not even know that your tooth is going to break until it does. The white fillings are bonded to the tooth and if taken care of will last a long time. Just because the white fillings are a little stronger doesn't mean that they replace getting a crown if it's need. I don't know if your dentist means the filling is cracking or the tooth. Good luck. I would have the fillings changed to the white ones.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwneyez9
I don't know if your dentist means the filling is cracking or the tooth. Good luck. I would have the fillings changed to the white ones.
The fillings are cracking. He takes pictures of them and you can see these tiny cracks. He says when that happens they start to decay underneath and it's best to have them replaced.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

Your dentist is right and i would have them replaced. This way you can take care of it while it's small and can fix them with just fillings. Goodluck.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #8

ysco HB User

You guys would have done better if you seeked some "biologic" or "holisitic" dentist. Those dentists take extra safety precautions in replacing amalgam fillings to reduce the mercury vapor exposure. I had taken most of my fillings out this way, my dentist gave me an oxygen mask in additional to a special suction he used during the drilling. There were no problems whatsoever during and afterwards.

It's very unfortunate that many conventional dentists do not use appropriately careful techniques to remove amalgam fillings. They are taught that the mercury is locked inside the tooth and never gets out in their dental schools. This has been proven to be wrong and now most dentists acknowledge this fact however they still do not protect their patients, themselves and their staff sufficiently. I hope this will be changed in the next decade and hopefully by then amalgam fillings won't be used anymore, anywhere. I share the global opinion that poisons, especially one of the most toxic substance known to man do not belong in people's mouths, even in ostensively small amounts.

Old 05-10-2004, 05:04 PM   #9

Doppler4000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysco
It's very unfortunate that many conventional dentists do not use appropriately careful techniques to remove amalgam fillings. They are taught that the mercury is locked inside the tooth and never gets out in their dental schools. This has been proven to be wrong and now most dentists acknowledge this fact however they still do not protect their patients, themselves and their staff sufficiently.
By this argument, there should be a disproportionate amount of dental workers, particularly ones who worked many years before composites were available, suffering from chronic mercury poisoning and related illnesses. Is there?

Last edited by Doppler4000; 05-10-2004 at 05:06 PM.

Old 05-10-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

No. I know people who have been doing this job for 15 - 20 years.

[Please do not assert "board authority" by mentioning working in a dental office. This is a peer support board only, not a professional advice forum. Thanks-Well-come Moderator]

Last edited by Well-come; 05-10-2004 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Removed reference to professional affiliation

Old 05-11-2004, 04:18 AM   #11

ysco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler4000
By this argument, there should be a disproportionate amount of dental workers, particularly ones who worked many years before composites were available, suffering from chronic mercury poisoning and related illnesses. Is there?
There are. I would give you many sites even of dentists themselves if it was allowed. But this doesn't necessarily mean everyone who has amalgam fillings or has worked with amalgam fillings will get sick, just to show you I am objective I know some 70+ people personally whose mouth is full of amalgams and has been for decades and they are still in seemingly good health. I guess it's something to do with their good dental work and thus lower mercury leakage and/or how prone they are to mercury. There may be other dubious explanations but for now this controversy continues to be vague.

Old 05-16-2004, 08:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

What makes the understanding of sickness from chronic mercury poisoning so difficult, is that these aches and pains can seem so "normal". So people think they are healthy. As a person ages, the mercury from fillings and other sources continually accumulate. Then, it's saying things like "I'm getting too old." that seems so common in our society. Look at all the pain killers that are sold over-the-counter. Pills for this and pills for that.

A lot of you know I linked my pains to my mercury-silver dental amalgams to my pains a little over 10 years ago when my tooth broke and exposed one dental amalgam. I'm still successful at beating the pains and aches I used to have. In many ways I feel better now than I did thirty years ago.

I'll give you all an update. About two months ago I ceased my experiment with cilantro (a natural herb that chelates mercury, lead, and aluminum). My arms near the elbows got quite sore. So as soon as I stopped the cilantro, I increased my herbs. Today, I feel like almost all the pain is gone again. It didn't affect my running, but I had to slow down some, and limp around where it hurt some near the ankles or heels. Where the pain felt near my heels and elbows, I also got a small red rash....

I show people my rashes from time to time, because it's the only visible thing that can show a person that something is wrong. After I regain my full strength again (I'm 95 percent there now), I'll resume the cilantro again, but in smaller quantities. The cilantro is great at moving the mercury, but it often just moves it around...and not all of it moves out. At least that is what I've read.

I'm now stronger than ever, and continue to run my 19.5 miles a week, after being told not to run a hundred yards by a doctor in 1978. I aim to keep up these efforts to detox my body. Also what it makes it difficult to tie mercury poisoning to dental amalgams, is that mercury is extremely difficult to remove once it is locked in the tissues. So often just getting rid of the mercury fillings won't immediately get a person cured. It's only part of the equation.

So all you out there with those gray-black mercury fillings (that a lot of dentists call "silver" fillings), know that you are being subjected to mercury all the time. You are getting one of the most poisonous substances on the earth and it's being accumulated in your brain, kidneys, liver and so many other places. So, you'll probably never know if those aches and pains (the fibromyalgia, the CFS, the arthritis, the headaches etc.) are caused my mercury poisoning. Know also that there's dental mercury waste too. We are being poisoned from the water and air, and a lot of this originated in the dental office as "silver" fillings.

My pains started very mild. I could not run about late 1977. For a short while in 1977 I used to run about 1 to 2 miles a week, once on Sunday. Then the urinary problems increased year by year. The fibromyalgia was something that I struggled with.... I found nutrition and herbs greatly helped. The best thing that happened, although, was when my tooth broke and the pains went "through the roof". I now had the link. But where is all the research, despite countless people who have gotten better after these fillings were removed? Fortunately there's more and more research that shows you that mercury from dental fillings is not safe.

And if I was a dentist, or dental professional, I'd think twice about what is being handled day by day. I'd think about those minor aches, the depression, the damage to fetal development and a host of other things that people can read about, as scientists uncover more and more each day about this interesting topic.

Old 05-17-2004, 06:49 PM   #13

ysco HB User

Good post, rhody... I'm glad to read your symptoms are improving and I can only wish you they will continue to do so.

The main problem about this amalgam controversy is that the ADA will likely never take responsibility and admit they were wrong (or knowingly misled the public). In order to not cause panic amongst the hundreds of millions who have amalgams in their mouth they continue and probably will continue in the future to promote its use and safety. There are many so evidences that mercury leakes out of the fillings and accomulate in the patients bodies. On the other hand there is no base to the ADA claims that amalgam fillings are safe. I haven't heard of even ONE long term study (or even short term study) done by the ADA or other national authorities who advocate amalgam fillings to challange the contradicted allegations about the safety and possible long term effects of amalgam fillings. I do believe there is some kind of conspiracy involved.

Unfortunately the ADA continues to educate the imminent dentist generation in the dental schools that amalgam fillings are "locked" in the filling and the tooth and therefore are safe to use. This is a totally falsified allegation. Many studies have proven this wrong. Several countries (brave initiative) have already banned the use of amalgam fillings in their borders. Yet the ADA is at its own.

Amalgam is so primitive, it had been used for hundreds of years without ever been proven safe.

There are simple facts.

Mercury is one of the most toxic substances known to man.
Mercury is not completely locked in the fillings as claimed.

One does not need to be a doctor to imagine the possible consequences of long-term constant exposure to such material.

There is also a dubiousness about the amalgam fillings' technical efficiency. Many professionals claim they are not bonded to the teeth and thus weaken and cause them to break and so on, but let's not get into that. Although from my experience I can tell there is more than something in those claims as well.

If those facts were explained to the patients, it's hard to believe they would have chosen amalgam as their filling of choice. Instead, the dentists (or perhaps a direct order from a more primary authority, e.g. the ADA) choose to conceal these facts and give the fillings the absurd misnomer, "silver fillings", although mercury is the main ingredient and is present in over x2 quantities than silver. Obviously "silver fillings" does better work as sales promotion.

Not like the current alternative fillings are perfect - far from that, but at least they are significantly less potentially harmful. Many dentists say the modern composites fillings exceed amalgam's durability, too.

Another problem is that many dentists are inadequately trained or just not talented enough to work with composites (which is very technique-sensitive). Others are simply too "busy" or literally lazy to work with those fillings as ironic as it may sound. Why would they waste their precious time and sweat having difficulties with composite fillings when the infamous "safe" amalgam is on their other side? It's undoubtedly easier to work with and takes much less time to put in place. No wonder why most dentists prefer amalgam.

To make a long story short, in my opinion this is one of the biggest malpractices in the century. As one person whose name I don't remember said, "What makes people's mouths a safe place to put poisons in?" Ask the ADA.......

Last edited by ysco; 05-17-2004 at 07:17 PM.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Thanks ysco for providing us with so many details and giving more people information that they may have not known about. "Silver" fillings is definitely a misnomer. How many people realize that about half of this filling is composed of dangerous mercury that leaks continually? So many people are surprised.

If these amalgam fillings were called mercury fillings, then I think people would question their safety a lot more. I'm still tremendously improving after my latest cilantro experiment. I thank God for helping me heal. I hope everyone realizes and wakes up to this problem that affects so many of us. We have to understand so much that the "white coats" have generally hidden from us.

As a name..."silver" fillings? I think not.

Mercury fillings? Yes, they are composed with much more mercury than silver.

Thanks again ysco for your reply.

Last edited by rhody; 05-23-2004 at 02:14 PM.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

How long have patients had these fillings before noticing a problem? I have had mine 20 plus years now. Are you sure they ALL leak? That's a pretty strong statement that will probably freak alot of people out.

Closed Thread