It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #1

Erin1100 HB User
Lightbulb Whitening Teeth Hydrogen Peroxide Question.

Can the hydrogen peroxide hurt your gums???

Also, is it possible that a just a reg. b ottle of Hydrogen Peroxide solution work to whiten your teeth any?? If it can. is it harmful to gargle for whitenning process??

thank you for your time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: Whitening Teeth Hydrogen Peroxide Question.

It can make your gums sens. You wouldn't want to get it on them. If you did just wipe if off with a wet washcloth. If may cause a white spot on the gums which maybe a little sens., but will go away. I don't know about using just a reg bottle of hydrogen peroxide. One if would be difficult to apply without getting on the gums and two the bleaching material bought in stores and at the dental office is not straight hydrogen peroxide. It is deluted. It could make your teeth and gums more sens. then bleaching material. I don't really know. This isn't something i have tryed or anyonei know who has tryed this. I work in the field. I don't think i would try to do this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 01:52 PM   #3

kiki lou HB User

Hydrogen peroxide is FINE to use in your mouth. My bottle even recommends it for oral hygiene purposes. Since it is so mild, it's likely to not do much for whitening purposes, tho. However, my mouth sure feels clean after rinsing with it.

Don't worry! It won't damage your gums!

Old 05-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
Inactive

jasonandlee HB User

I know alot of people that use it to gargle with it for a sore throat

Old 05-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #5

ysco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki lou
Hydrogen peroxide is FINE to use in your mouth. My bottle even recommends it for oral hygiene purposes. Since it is so mild, it's likely to not do much for whitening purposes, tho. However, my mouth sure feels clean after rinsing with it.

Don't worry! It won't damage your gums!
There seems to be some controversy about that... it depends on the concentrations. Most people agree the lower the concentration the less riskier is its use. >%6 should be OK.

For your info, many countries in europe and some in the far east have banned the selling of hydrogen peroxide solutions to the general public of anything higher than 0.1%! I could find brief info on the net that says hydrogen peroxide should not be used on a regular basis in the mouth and one should be very cautious not to swallow or have it touch his/her eyes because it can cause serious irritation.

On the other hand interested persons claim it is totally safe to use even in high concentrations.

I personally tend to support the first opinion as mentioned above.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
(male)

Mark_N HB User

Hi.

I use regular store bought hydrogen peroxide to whiten my teeth.

I assume it's safe because on the back of the bottle it says I can use it to gargle with.

I usually dilute it with some water, but then it isn't very strong and doesn't really brighten your teeth much.

When I gargle I usually gargle for about 5 minutes swishing it all around.

If you really want to whiten your teeth with it, you can try putting some on a Q-tip then brushing it on your teeth and let it sit for a few minutes. Non diluted being the strongest of course.

I can't verify that it's safe or not but according to the bottle it is.

Funny thing, although I once knew a girl that worked at a dental office who also used it to gargle/whiten her teeth with when I recently asked my Dentist if it would whiten my teeth, he said "NO."

My Dentist is probably lying so that he can make more money off me.

What a *****.

They do however use a different kind of peroxide I think it's called carbonite peroxide or something like that.

Whatever the case it shouldn't cost $600-$1,000 to whiten anyone's teeth, that's just robbery.

Closed Thread