It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 07:15 AM   #1

shave31 HB User
Bad toothache/earache

Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestions for a remedy for a horrible toothache that is also causing my right jaw and ear to ache also. Right now I am trying to save money to have dental work done and tylenol is not helping. Thx.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Inactive

jasonandlee HB User
Re: Bad toothache/earache

I had one last week that done the same thing.. Took tylenol all day then decided to try 2 advil and it worked instantly... Hope this works for you as well .. Oh yeah I also put ice on it...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #3

Sae HB User

There are drugstore products for toothaches. It deadens it. Also, keep area very clean. I used to use a syringe filled with Biotene Mouthwash and squirted that around tooth after brushing it. I hope you are able to have dental help soon as you don't want to have infection in it. Painful teeth are so hard to live with and you suffer so much.
Sae

Old 05-12-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
(female)

knorr HB User

I agree that Biotene or Peroxyl helps. I used to (before dentures) put it on a cotton ball and place it on the area that hurt. You can also try some of the products available in the drug store for toothaches - anbesol, however, was my least favorite because of the taste. You can also try Advil or Motrin, they seemed to help me more than Tylenol. I was advised by my doctor that it was ok to take 3 Advil/Motrin (I weigh 125 lbs) because they are only 200 mg. each. However, you don't want to take them for an extended period of time. If your tooth pain doesn't go away after a day or two, you really need to get yourself to the dentist. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:50 PM   #5

blythe HB User

I've always found Advil to work better on toothaches than Tylenol as well. Whatever you do, do not put a heating pad on it! I was stupid enough to do that once. I ended up spreading infection and the whole side of my face swelled up! Use ice packs. It seems to calm the throbbing.
You really need to have your dentist look at it though. You may have an infection. With some antibotics you could be feeling better in no time.

Old 05-16-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

If you can't get to the dentist right away, you might try a good salt water rinse in the meantime. A person might be very surprised how many teeth and gum problems would go away, with such simple treatment.

I found that table salt and warm water was very effective for me. Baking soda is good too. Lately, I have been using Baking Soda in lieu of store-bought toothpaste, and it seems that my teeth are a little brighter too.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:10 AM   #7

Doppler4000 HB User
Exclamation Re: Bad toothache/earache

Be aware that teeth do not heal themselves. Perhaps there's a dental school or something nearby that would offer treatment at a lower cost and allow you to keep that tooth. Also, a bad toothache that suddenly stops hurting can be a sign that things have gotten worse, not better.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I've read more than once that the enamel can heal by itself. If there is a cavity small enough, it can be encouraged to get better naturally. I was so surprised to read that.

If only more people knew, then maybe "drilling and filling" wouldn't always be the option. I'm not an expert on this; that's just something I've read during my research about fillings and tooth restoration. Maybe someone else can shed more light on the subject. Anyone know more about this?

Old 05-18-2004, 07:09 AM   #9
Inactive

fyrelight74 HB User

Sure, if there's an area of slight decalcification, they can let it go and see if it remineralizes itself... but if you have an open cavity... it won't heal itself... it got too far past the enamel then. That's my understanding.

There is something new in the UK, and will be approved here in the US in 2005... using Ozone to make your tooth heal itself... It's called CurOzone... Try a search engine, its a neat new technology that could do away with a lot of drilling and filling!

Closed Thread