It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 11:15 AM   #1

yewdale HB User
Sensitivity and aching of adjacent tooth after extraction

I had a tooth extracted recently and now I have hypersensitivity and aching in the tooth next to the remaining gap. It seems to be sensitive to hot and cold and I get pain when I bite on it which quite often aches for some time afterwards, usually a few hours. I mentioned this to my dentist who did an x-ray and said that she cannot see anything wrong with it.

I was wondering if any of you have ever had an a similar experience and how you resolved it?

I've suspected a number of reasons for it occurring. I wondered if it might be because of the swelling and bruising that is left around the extraction site that may be causing the tooth next to it to feel pain. I also stopped using Sensodyne toothpaste a couple of weeks ago and started using Colgate Sensitive instead - so I was wondering if this toothpaste maybe isn't as effective and is leading to the sensitivity although I wouldn't have thought it would have felt this bad. I was also worried that there might be a case slight infection in there but my dentist has reassured me that there is nothing like that occurring.

Dale

Old 05-13-2004, 01:16 AM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Exclamation Re: Sensitivity and aching of adjacent tooth after extraction

<< I was also worried that there might be a case slight infection in there but my dentist has reassured me that there is nothing like that occurring.
HOW? Why did you have a tooth extracted? Was it infected? A failed root canal? Need more info, but if I were you - I'd head to another dentist - one with a medical degree too and tell them what's going on. There are complications after extractions, one is infections - and I'd like to know how your dentist ruled this out. Ask for a blood test, cbc and sed rate. were you/are you on antibiotics?

more info then, i may reply again.

hope you are feeling better,
trying to feel good

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewdale
I had a tooth extracted recently and now I have hypersensitivity and aching in the tooth next to the remaining gap. It seems to be sensitive to hot and cold and I get pain when I bite on it which quite often aches for some time afterwards, usually a few hours. I mentioned this to my dentist who did an x-ray and said that she cannot see anything wrong with it.

I was wondering if any of you have ever had an a similar experience and how you resolved it?

I've suspected a number of reasons for it occurring. I wondered if it might be because of the swelling and bruising that is left around the extraction site that may be causing the tooth next to it to feel pain. I also stopped using Sensodyne toothpaste a couple of weeks ago and started using Colgate Sensitive instead - so I was wondering if this toothpaste maybe isn't as effective and is leading to the sensitivity although I wouldn't have thought it would have felt this bad. I was also worried that there might be a case slight infection in there but my dentist has reassured me that there is nothing like that occurring.

Dale

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 01:18 AM   #3

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Re: Sensitivity and aching of adjacent tooth after extraction

Hi again Dale - wanted to address what you said here:
"I wondered if it might be because of the swelling and bruising that is left around the extraction site that may be causing the tooth next to it to feel pain."

Inflammation is common and that can cause referral pain - however, inflammation is also related to bacteria, hence infection.

hope this helps and hope to hear from you that you are all better ,
ttfg

Old 05-13-2004, 03:22 AM   #4

yewdale HB User

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question: Yes, the extracted tooth had abscessed. When I returned to the dentist with pain in the adjacent tooth she did the tapping on the tooth thing which also gave me some discomfort but she said wasn't really bad enough to be an abscess and the xray she took of the tooth showed it was clear (the abscess showed up on the xray prior to extraction).

No she didn't prescribe any antibiotics after the extraction.

To be honest, the pain isn't as bad as the original abscess pain which was severe and constant, this is more of a dull ache which comes and goes. I thought it would gradually reduce over time but it hasn't yet.

Is there any obvious explanations?

Old 05-14-2004, 02:51 PM   #5

CABRIOLET HB User
Angry Re: Sensitivity and aching of adjacent tooth after extraction

I have got the same thing as you happening it sounds exactly the same . I had an extraction because I had bad infection everything had been fine for a week but has kicked off yesterday went to my dentist who said it was ok. I would like my dentist to have my pain Im sure he thinks im making it up . But it is real, taking so many tablets and that cannot be good for you!

Old 05-17-2004, 11:29 AM   #6

yewdale HB User

Hi Cabriolet,

Did you ever sort your problem out? I went to see my dentist again today and she said that it might actually be the infection in another tooth - now I'm worried again! She said she doesn't want to do anything at the moment until she can be absolutely sure that it is. I think it may be time I got a 2nd opinion.

Closed Thread