It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Arrow Sensitive teeth all of a sudden!

Hi all,
For about the past week to two weeks, all the teeth on the top row, on the right side (so, from the right, front tooth, to the back of the right side--make sense?? ), have been very sensitive. I haven't done anything to my teeth recently for them to change like this--they've always been a BIT on the sensitive side, but it's gotten so bad all of a sudden that I have to be very careful when drinking something cold, or gargling my mouth because it hurts! It's mainly on the front tooth but I can tell that some of the others are more sensitive than normal too... Anybody have any idea why?? It really sucks too because I was planning on using Crest Whitestrips in about a month or so (I've been planning it ever since winter), and I know that they can make your teeth a bit more sensitive for a few days after using them... I used them before, but that was last August, so I'm sure that's not the problem... Anyways, any responses at all will be greatly appreciated. I'm so confused...

Old 05-17-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: Sensitive teeth all of a sudden!

humm?
Well if you don't have any kinda of food that got trap under your teeth and gums?
It sounds like you may have an old fashion cavity? if it don't ease up in a couple more days you might need to go see your dentist. you may have an infection also?
I went to a dentist one time for my teeth hurting and I had an infection in one tooth and an absest on the other.... across from each other!.. I didn't know I had two problems at once?
my advise would be have you go to a quilfied dentist!....soon! asap
Good Luck to ya.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2004, 12:50 AM   #3

ysco HB User

This is a pretty common problem.

Since you mentioned it's a front teeth, the most likely causes are enamel damage due to brushing too harshly with or without using abrasive toothbrush and/or toothpaste which exposes the dentin, or periodontal disease exposing the tooth roots (most common).
Other possible causes include decay or cracked tooth.

Depending upon the cause, a possible solution to this problem can be using some desensitizing toothpaste to ease the discomfort. Sometimes however you have to treat the underlying cause first.

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's a cavity, as it is mainly on the front tooth, and I take very good care of my teeth. I think they're pretty healthy--not cracked or anything. Ysco, from the things you've listed, what seems like a very possible cause of this is enamel damage from brushing too harshly. If that's what it is, is there any way that the sensitivity will eventually subside, or will it be like this forever? The thing that really confuses me is how quickly this came upon. All of a sudden one day, they were really sensitive to cold. Anyways, I'll be anxiously awaiting your reply! Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2004, 04:35 AM   #5

ysco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskersOnKittens
Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's a cavity, as it is mainly on the front tooth, and I take very good care of my teeth. I think they're pretty healthy--not cracked or anything. Ysco, from the things you've listed, what seems like a very possible cause of this is enamel damage from brushing too harshly. If that's what it is, is there any way that the sensitivity will eventually subside, or will it be like this forever? The thing that really confuses me is how quickly this came upon. All of a sudden one day, they were really sensitive to cold. Anyways, I'll be anxiously awaiting your reply! Thanks again!
If you're experiencing this sensitivity due to enamal damage or erosion (or enamel loss), it may somewhat decrease but is not likely to completely go away, though it greatly depeneds on the severity of the damage. The enamel does not grow back once loss in any case.
As aforesaid this type of damage can be caused by improper brushing habbits among few other reasons (e.g. frequently drinking highly acidic beverages). Bruxism can also cause this problem.

Some say using desensitizing toothpaste can relieve the sensitivity. If not, other than that a dentist may veneer the erosed tooth to protect the hypersensitive dentin.

I suggest you see your dentist if the problem persists, for accurate diagnosis and advisable treatment.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Do you grind your teeth? My teeth are very sensitive on the upper left. With TMJ, you can have referred pain to different teeth. Like one of the other posters said, it could be gum recession. I use a RX toothpaste for sensitivity, but you could try Sensodyne and see if that helps. I hope you find some relief soon!!!

Closed Thread