HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   What does gum disease look like? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/175496-what-does-gum-disease-look-like.html)

Abbey32 05-19-2004 09:35 PM

What does gum disease look like?

Are the gums red? Do they bleed all the time? With brushing or just flossing? Only bleed sometimes? I'm trying to inspect my mouth. What do receeding gums look like?

martid 05-20-2004 02:44 PM

Re: What does gum disease look like?

Hi, you gums should be kind of pink, and not swollen, and they should not bleed when you floss or brush. You know your gums have receded when your teeth look longer and longer and there is less and less gum and bone at the gum line between the teeth and, or if your teeth seem to have shifted a bit.

Abbey32 05-20-2004 04:23 PM

When you say shifted....I used to have a gap in between my 2 front teeth that has now almost closed...within the last year or two. Could that be gum disease??! I don't have red gums and I only occasionally bleed when I floss in an area. It does not look like my teeth have gotten longer either.

ysco 05-20-2004 04:34 PM

You asked how does gum disease look like, so as for the appearance, unhealthy gums usually are red/purple in color and swollen in texture. There may be pus between the teeth and gums and the teeth may look longer and looser than they did before due to receding gums.

Healthy gums should be pink, firm, and without any signs of regression.

Abbey32 05-20-2004 06:02 PM

I just ask because I don't think all gums show signs because one time, I had to have a deep gum cleaning..root scaling and I never even knew my gums were bad! They looked ok and only bled on occasion.

martid 05-20-2004 06:27 PM

Maybe you get had a few pockets, not necessarily gum disease, that's why the deep cleaning. (Sometimes I really do think dentists and hygienist do go wild with the cleanings)My inlaws are in their 80's and never had teeth cleaning and wear no denture. They still have most of their teeth, just a couple of small partials. Go figure !!. Just keep your 6 months check up and keep an eye on your gums. You can tell when they look red and puffy. Sometime teeth shift with age and not because of gum disease. Your dentist would be the best to determine why that gap seems to close up. Good luck to you Marti

likeaprayer 05-20-2004 06:53 PM

hi there my gums are red round the top an i was told i have gum disease they wanted to give a good clean to my teeth but i havent been back yet i am about to register with a new dentist i have got a bump come up just behind my front tooth an i think it might be an absess cause its annoying me an it throbs a bit i had 1 on the bottom gum but the dentist drained it an it went cause it really hurt an affected my face but its stayed away from that gum since but now i have one behind my fron top tooth is there anything i can do to get rid of it without going back to the dentist just yet ?! thanks

ysco 05-21-2004 03:17 AM

[QUOTE=likeaprayer]hi there my gums are red round the top an i was told i have gum disease they wanted to give a good clean to my teeth but i havent been back yet i am about to register with a new dentist i have got a bump come up just behind my front tooth an i think it might be an absess cause its annoying me an it throbs a bit i had 1 on the bottom gum but the dentist drained it an it went cause it really hurt an affected my face but its stayed away from that gum since but now i have one behind my fron top tooth is there anything i can do to get rid of it without going back to the dentist just yet ?! thanks[/QUOTE]

Not really. You don't want to mess with abscesses by yourself. You may need antiobiotics in addition to the deep teeth cleaning you seem to require. Even if you did drain the peripheral abcsess (just an example, DO NOT try it yourself, as this may release bacteria), you'd still need treatment to eliminate the underlying cause, which is usually an untreated tooth decay.

See a dentist for an evaluation ASAP. Abscesses MUST be treated or you risk in far more serious complications. Delaying would not improve your condition just worsen it. Don't undervalue the importance of seeing a dentist and getting a professional treatment.