It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #1

Saltwater27 HB User
Question Denture Allergy

I have been wearing full (upper/lower) dentures for 14 months. Had a new set made at 9 months. When in my mouth I have an allergic reaction in the form of bumps inside the lip areas.
When the dentures are out I have a hot/burning sensation in the mouth, and at times my lips will feel dry/stickey. Other times I have the sensation of a very bitter saliva.
I do not wear them to sleep, when I awake and for the first several hours thereafter my mouth feels relatively normal.

A google search did turn up a reference to "Hot Mouth syndrome" relateing to an allergic reaction to the polymers used in the plates.I have been told that all dentures are made of the same basic materials.
My question, is there any known relief for this condition?

Old 05-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Denture Allergy

Hi, I had heard that they can make the denture base out of a metal alloy to help those with an allergy to material. I suppose they also use porcelain teeth in the dentures too. I do know some people have a reaction to the material used to reline the dentures. The soft reline stuff has a catalyst in it to make it cure and I suspect if also reacts with saliva.
What has the dentist said he/she can do to help you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #3

Yos HB User

Hi Salt,

Although it's not impossible, I doubt very much that the reaction your mouth is an allergic one to dentures. Dentures are made of an inert material (no active ingredients) using a heat cured process. Being allergic to a denture would be like being allergic to a tea cup or a toothbrush.

After you wake in the morning have you tried keeping your dentures out to see if your mouth continues to feel normal? It's also possible that your denture may be the indirect cause of the reaction in your mouth too. For instance, if a part of your denture rubs the inside of your lip exposing the skin, it could cause a reaction with any other substance that makes its way inside your mouth from bacteria to food or even airborne particles that you breathe in constantly. Before blaming the denture you should also rule out other oral products you use such as mouthwashes, denture cleansers, adhesives etc. all of which contain active ingredients.

There are plenty of conditions and substances to rule out before even considering the denture as the source of your problem. In the meantime you also might want to consult with your dentist and doctor. The only diffinitive test could be done by an allergist. I hope it doesn't take too long for you to discover a solution.

Yos

Old 05-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #4

Saltwater27 HB User

Thanks for the reply..The people at the Dental Clinic acknowlege that some people have this reaction. Their advice is to have another set made and they process (heat) them for a longer period of time.
I had mentioned the problem to them when sitting for impressions for my second set. I saw an improvement over the immediates, but it was temporary........ Salt

Old 05-22-2004, 08:49 PM   #5

Saltwater27 HB User

Hi Yos
"The only diffinitive test could be done by an allergist. I hope it doesn't take too long for you to discover a solution"<<<<< Me too Yos, me too.

I have left them out for sevral hours in the mornings with no problems. Once I put them in, up come the bumps. There are no raw or sore areas in my mouth. TY for the response......Salt

Old 05-22-2004, 10:00 PM   #6
Inactive

martid HB User

Hi Salt, sorry you are having such problems. I read a lot of journals and studies on dental implants and various dental procedures, and read about a patient of Dr Davidoff who had an allergic reaction to acrylic resin. He stated that was the first time he ever had that problem with a patient. The patient had to get steroid injections from her regular doctor while they were trying to figure out what the problem was. The acrylic resin contained in her dental restoration caused her lips to get severly swollen. There was a material called methyl methacrylate that caused her allergies, they switched to ethyl methacrylate to do her restoration and that seemed to solve the problem. I don't know if any of these materials are in your denture, but I guess it is possible to get a reaction from the acrylic, even if it is rare as YOS said. I know I am allergic to a lot of different metals, and it can be a problem for me. May be this won't help at all, but I thought I would share this information with you. Good luck Marti

Old 05-23-2004, 09:38 AM   #7

Saltwater27 HB User

TY Marti and Sandy Beech..

I would bet that a plate of metal with porceline teeth would do the trick, I just dont know if I have enough arms and legs to find out
I can see where Yos is coming from, but up until my teeth were removed, no problem, ( had 19 extracted and the immediates installed) when the novacain wore off I felt those bumps inside the lips, so I got to believe it is an allergic react to something in the dentures .. Salt

Old 11-17-2004, 06:52 AM   #8

ShiraP HB User
Talking Re: Denture Allergy

Hi. I too am having problems getting a denture. I am allergic to the denture material and also the impression material. I am having all of the materials that the dentist wants to use in my mouth sent to my allergist. I also contacted a Holistic Dentist and she gave me the phone number of the dental lab they use. The dental lab is also sending samples of materials that I may be able to wear without allergic reactions. Good Luck to you. I know that this has been a new "journey" for me and has increased my awareness as well.

Shira

Closed Thread