It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

krikin HB User
how soon for adhesive?

Could some of you please tell me how soon after getting your immediate dentures (no stitches) can I start using adhesive. I just got my lower dentures today and already they are sort of flopping around. Could it be because they are too big already??? or do I just need some adhesive and when is it safe to start using that?

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
(female)

knorr HB User
Re: how soon for adhesive?

When did you have the teeth extracted???
I was able to use adhesive as soon as my stitches were out, 7 days after my extractions. But others on the board will tell you that their dentist advised them to wait longer than that...until the sockets are healed.
I believe that all bottom denture wearers must use adhesive or will experience the flopping around that you describe.
I have an immediate top denture and have been using adhesive all along - even after soft and hard religns, I still feel a little more secure using it.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

krikin HB User

I just had my 9 teeth out today but I don't have stitches - they put my plate in immediately. I'm just worried that I will be talking and they will flip out??!!

Old 05-26-2004, 05:25 AM   #4
(female)

knorr HB User

I would ask the dentist about using adhesive....since you don't have stitches, they might tell you to go ahead and use it...however, I'm not sure about those open sockets.
I'm surprised that the immediate is so loose already - usually your gums are swollen after the extractions and that helps in keeping the denture fitting tight. My immediate fit like a glove for the first few days, but as the swelling went down, it loosened up quite a bit and I had to use adhesive.
I would make a quick phone call to the dentist and see what he thinks....
Good luck!!!

Old 05-26-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
(female)

krikin HB User

Thanks! I did go back to the dentist today and he filed some rough spots for me which really helped - I don't know if my bottoms are loose or that they just kind of flip up sometimes which I hear is common. Anyway asked him about adhesive and said I could use them anytime now. This is only my second day and I'm so glad I did it - I'm still sore but they look so good I don't have to worry about hiding my teeth anymore!

Old 05-26-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
(female)

knorr HB User

I'm sure you're going to feel more comfortable using the adhesive - I use it daily on my top denture just because it gives me an added sense of security and makes the denture feel tighter.
I'm glad you're happy with your bottom plate - I haven't heard too many positive things about bottom dentures, which makes me nervous since I will soon need to make a decision on mine!!! It's nice to hear from someone who is happy with them ....
Keep smiling!!!

Old 05-27-2004, 03:48 AM   #7
(female)

krikin HB User

I'm very happy with the bottoms and like you everybody said not to do it because you won't like it but both my Mom and Dad had top and bottoms at an early age and said they had no trouble. (They both eat steaks and apples with no problem) The only problem I'm having is some swelling which I guess is common and a very bruised chin. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Course, right now all I'm eating is soup and scrambled eggs so not used to eating with them but I figure at the moment it is a small price to pay for not being embarrassed to smile and talk to people again. I don't even have denture sores yet but I'm sure that will come later. I had two mild sore spots after getting teeth out on Tues. and I went back to the dentist yesterday and he filed some away and it felt great. I have noticed one more little spot so I'm going to the dentist tomorrow to get him to file that too. So for what it's worth my experience with bottom plate is great even though I know it will probably loosen up as the swelling goes down and will have to be re-lined.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:55 AM   #8
(female)

knorr HB User

I'm happy that your's has been a good experience - much of it is in your positive attitude - good for you!!!
The swelling and bruising is very normal after extractions....I resembled a chipmunk after I had my uppers pulled, but felt like you, it was a small price to pay for beautiful straight teeth.
I was lucky that I haven't had any problems with sore spots....just once I had a small spot on the roof of my mouth, but my dentist took care of it in less than 5 minutes, and I haven't had a problem since.
Although there have been adjustments along the way, I'm very happy with my new smile, and would do it again in a minute.

Closed Thread