It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #1

cbohning HB User
Question how to best prevent dry socket?

I am having all four wisdom teeth out in exactly one week. Needless to say I am quite nervous about the whole procedure. I went for a consult visit but the oral surgeon did not fill me in on any info I need. I am assuming he is planning on telling me that day when I come in. I feel like I will be so nervous that I will be in no shape to comprehend what he is telling me. I know it will all be written down for me...but I have a couple of questions for anyone out there-

What are the best ways to prevent getting dry socket?
Can you eat cold things? I had planned on living on milkshakes but then read somewhere you should not eat anything cold??

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: how to best prevent dry socket?

Avoid smoking, sucking on straws, or any sucking motion of any type for 24 to 48 hours. That motion can cause the blood clot to come out. When that comes out that exposes the bone and that is dry socket and hurts bad. Also avoid vergerous swishing for 24 hours and spitting. After the 24 hours is up you can rinse with warm salt water every 3-4 hours for 15 min (don't swollow it). Lite diet for couple of days like milkshakes, pudding, mashed potatoes. Things that you really don't have to work at chewing or things that would get in the ext site. Things the would be easy to rinse out of your mouth after you eat. I haven't heard about avoid cold stuff, but i have heard that you should avoid spicy foods. They should give you pain meds and penicillin or something to prevent infection. When removing the gauze they put in your mouth to control bleeding make sure it's wet when you remove it. The dry gauze could pull out that clot too. After ext you make have small boney fragments that will work themselves out and you may not. This is normal. They usually come out on there own. Not everyone has this happen. They will probably give you all this information before you leave their office. Are you being put to sleep or staying awake for this?Good Luck. Those are way to avoid dry socket. Now that is not to say it still can not happen. Wisdom teeth area is the mostly likely area for it to accure. So just follow those instructions that will help alot. Again Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

W.VgirlinIOWA HB User

Hi there I just had two bottom wisdom teeth removed...last Thursday.I have stitches in both bottom gums.I ate cold things, the pain is slightly easing off, day by day.Avoid smoking and sucking straws ..as said in post above mine.Even though I smoked the day after ..I don't recommend it .I can't wait to get my stitches removed.If swelling and pain is in your gums and cheeks ..ice pack will help ease it .

Old 06-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

I had all 4 removed with only novacaine. I was awake whole time. Two left teeth had fully erupted. Right two were barely erupted. I quic spitting and sucking for a while. The only pain i got was on the side of the partially erupted teeth. Mainly the bottom one which had just a tiny bit poking through. I smoked about 3 days after removal, dunno if that had any effect on my dry socket.

But i got dry socket on the bottome right. They perscribed hydrocodone which removed the pain after 20-30 mins. Those were my saviors. Well i ran outta those, but the bottome right one hurt for a about 2 weeks after removal. Ibuprofen x 2, helped with the pain. I went back to dentist the put some nasty tasting black stuff in the dry socket 1 week after removal. It felt fien the rest of the day, because it was numb, but after that i sometimes got pain about a week after. But now im fine. Just work through it, and know it will be over.

But do try not to spit, suck, or rinse mouth. I thought i was cool too, i never noticed the clot come out, so be really careful, i was careful but still lost the clot on the bottom right.

Good Luck

Old 06-01-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

If you are a smoker the longer you can go without the better. Also with the use of straws. They have the same sucking motion. With smoking you also don't want that smoke and stuff getting into the socket.Goodluck

Old 06-01-2004, 06:15 PM   #6

chursinoff HB User

hey all, got my wisdom teeth removed this morning, and four other teeth. It went great, no pain...yet....I had my surgery around 9 am this morning, it is 6pm now and the bleeding is just about stopped. i was wondering if this is normal...i tried the gause thing, maybe its just me and my parinoya, but it seems to bleed more when i use the gause...i find it works best if ya just let it sit, and soak up all the blood with a kleenex or someting...would greatly appriciate some posts to help me out thanks...oh, and my bottom lip is still numb, and its driving me nuts, any idea on when this goes away? thanks all

god bless

blake

good luck to you on getting the teeth out, i would recoment getting put to sleep

Old 06-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #7

cbohning HB User

Thanks- Glad to hear your surgery went well. I amdefinitely going to be out for the whole surgery. I wouldn't do it any other way. I hope mine goes as well as yours! I know what you mean about the dry socket- I think I will probably not eat anything except pudding and ice cream for about a week. I am afraid to get anything caught back there. Let me know how your recovery goes! Good luck and feel better soon!

Old 06-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #8

chursinoff HB User

hey man, ill give ya a hint, surviving off milkshakes and pudding for a whole week SUCKS!!!!!!, i got fed up, got some good protien shoved it in a blender,( at that time i didnt care what it tasted like) and ate it. aka, i would definatly not recomend not living off of milkshakes and pudding for a week. oh, with the dry socket thing, i thought about it today, and basically if you do what i did and let your blood make a good clean clot in the hole, let it rest for the first night, and it is all good. if you get a good clean clot formed, you dont have to worry to much about it.

god bless

blake

Closed Thread