It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 08:13 PM   #1

hotscotch HB User
Can Dental Problems Cause Swollen Lymph Nodes?

Hi, I've recently been experiencing slight, sharp pains in my neck and behind my ear (right at the bottom of my ear). I can feel small lumps here and am worried that I have swollen lymph nodes. I've read that swollen lymph nodes can sometimes be caused by dental problems - and right now my molar teeth are just coming in (actually causing my jaw to swell a bit) and I was wondering if this could be the cause of the swollen lymph nodes? Any info would be appreciated - thanks!

Old 05-31-2004, 02:45 AM   #2

missymouse HB User
Re: Can Dental Problems Cause Swollen Lymph Nodes?

Hi Hotscotch,
First of all, I just wanted to tell you that MANY things can cause swollen lymph nodes. When I was a little girl I would get sick every month like clockwork and every month the lymph nodes in my neck would swell up so that it looked like I had grapes in my neck. Having swollen lymph nodes isn't a bad thing in itself. Your lymph nodes will swell when your body is fighting off something.

All of the following quotes were taken from MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia:
"Infections that commonly cause swollen lymph nodes include mononucleosis, German measles, tuberculosis, mumps, ear infection, tonsillitis, abscessed or impacted tooth, gingivitis (swelling of the gums), mouth sores, and sexually transmitted diseases."
There isn't really cause for concern over swollen glands unless some of the following are true:
"Your glands donít get smaller after several weeks or continue to get larger.
Your swollen glands are red and tender.
Your glands feel hard, irregular, or fixed in place.
You have a fever, night sweats, or unexplained weight loss.
Any node is larger than 1cm in diameter in a child. "

Keep in mind that your lymph nodes may remain swollen for a week or two *after* whatever triggered the swelling goes away, but this shouldn't be a cause for concern unless you have other symptoms as well.

"Soreness in lymph glands usually disappears in a couple of days without treatment, but the nodes may not return to normal size for several weeks after the infection has cleared. Generally, if glands are painful, it is because they swell rapidly in the early stages of fighting an infection."

I hope this information helps. yes, it is possible that a dental problem could cause swollen glands, but if that *is* the problem, you should be a little relieved to have your glands a bit swollen. It simply means that your body is working to fight off whatever problem has come up.
Good Luck

I am not a doctor, nor do I have any medical training. In my defense, I am an avid researcher. If your problem gets worse or you still feel concerned, it never hurts to call or go see your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread