It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 05:15 AM   #1

abbyrose HB User
Question Denture decision?

Have just started reading this board and need some information about people's experiences with extraction and a full upper denture. I am a dental phobic person who at one time could not even read a board like this, so reading it is a good step, I guess. Next step of going to see someone will be harder. Would like to know what were the causes to make you decide to do total extraction as opposed to other restorative treatments? Was it because of perio disease that resulted in bone loss that could not support other methods? Once bone is loss and a tooth comes out can it be replaced ?I am so surprised to read of younger people having all teeth extracted and having full dentures put in. Still young too and the emotional aspect of deciding that is difficult but I am at the point now where I have lost teeth, mostly back ones, but now have lost a front one and need to do something drastic. Not sure what to do,want to just to take the rest out and not have to deal with it anymore. To all who have done that could you say if you regretted not seeking other alternatives? Also could you say what was involved in the process and how you decided to go where you went to get the dentures? Do you go to a place that just does dentures and how do you investigate the place you end up having them done? Am in Mass and would like to talk to someone who has had a positive experience with this. But anyone can address it, even if you are not from Mass. Not sure if dentist or dental lab names can be exchanged on this board but if so would like to know where to go to begin the process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Denture decision?

Abbyrose- the denture decision is often a long and complicated journey not to be entered into lightly. This is forever! To think that if you have all of your teeth pulled that all of your dental issues will go away is pure fantasy. In some respects you are trading one set of problems for another. Dentures are an excellent solution to many dental problems but they carry their own set of problems. Keep as many teeth as you can- even if it is just one tooth- at least it is something for the false teeth to hook onto.
A good set of dentures beats a mouth full of broken diseased teeth any day. You must make the decision based on what is best for you- for your health, your self esteem, body image and financial situation. As for who to go to- start with your family dentist and move out from there. If you know someone who wears dentures ask them who did their work and if they are happy. Everyone has a different experience. Get multiple opinions and sort out the one that best fits your needs.

Old 06-11-2004, 02:14 PM   #3

ljason HB User

Have you been told by a dentist that you need dentures and have you gotten several opinions.. I was told last year I needed a dentures top and bottom and waited a whole year to go back to a dentist and he is going to save 8 of my top teeth and 7 of my bottom.. I will have a partial on the bottom immediately and I will get the top one in 9 months to a year because I am going to wear a retainer to straighten my remaining front teeth that was shifted on top of each other from my wisdom teeth.. I had researched dentures to death, took 8 pages of notes and now I don't need them.. And don't know mluch of nothing on partials.... Dentures was going to cost me 4 thousand dollars and I will spend 5800 after my 1000 ins. coverage.. But this will cover me being put to sleep for 4 hours and extraction of 14 teeth and fillings on the remaining and the partial and retainer.. only thing I will go back for is adjustments and the stitches out.. I am a happy camper after visiting 3 dentist I found the perfect one.. So please do your research....

Old 06-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #4

lady93703 HB User

Hi - I am new to this board, I recently just 2 weeks ago had the remaining teeth extracted. I have been afraid of the dentist since a young child, 30 years ago, in those days they did awful things to children and my mother ignored my fears. I had other procedures done a bridge (upper left side) and a partial on the lower. In 8 years I never had a problem with the partial, only one adjustment. But in the past year my bridge fell out twice, the supporting teeth were too loose to support it. I have bone loss and my choices were to spend thousands of dollars on implants that do not always take or have the dentures. I made a hard decision to go with both upper and lower dentures. Because of my fear I opted to go to an oral surgeon and have the extractions done, the old "be asleep and no trauma" big mistake I was swollen and bruised for 2 weeks. I got immediate dentures, but have had to wait on the lower gum to heal. Have to go to the dentist next week for adjustment so I can wear them. I wanted to have immediate teeth and be able to eat and go back to work. I plan to have a new set done in January - since I paid cash for the immediate ones my insurance will pay for the new set next year. I can tell you that this has not been easy and if anyone tells you it is they are lieing to you. As with anything, you do in life, this is a decision you have to make and be comfortable with. I am glad that I will never have to deal with a horrible tooth ache and I will evenutally get used to the dentures. Just have been depressed over the obvious but it is getting better with each passing day. Lady93703

Closed Thread