It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Lip numbness after wisdom tooth extraction

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed last Friday. My bottom lip and chin still feel numb. It's not really one sided...it's pretty much over my entire bottom lip down to my chin..on both sides. Could this be from the swelling or is it possible I have nerve damage?

Last edited by hilery79; 06-15-2004 at 10:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 01:40 PM   #2

cbohning HB User
Re: Lip numbness after wisdom tooth extraction

It is probably not nerve damage. My dentist told me it is not unusual to feel numbness for up to a couple of weeks after the surgery. From all that I have read also- it should go away eventually.

Overall- how are you feeling? i had mine out last Monday and I am still not feeling that great. Definitely better, but not myself. I am starting to get upset and frustrated. This whole thing really sucks! I am glad they are gone but now at times I wish I never would have done it.
Oh well- I hope I am back to normal soon.

Hope you are feeling well soon too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

I'm sorry to hear you're still not feeling all that great. I'm not feeling any better yet, either. My pain seems to keep getting worse. My Dr. prescribed me Vicodin, but I've already gone through all 16 pills. I'm going to call his office tomorrow and see if I can get a couple more days worth.

Have you experienced a lot of swelling? The entire right side of my jaw is purple and swollen. I can barely open my mouth. I still haven't eaten anything other than soups, yogurt, and mashed potatoes. When did you start eating solid foods again?
All of this has definatly been frusterating.

Take care and I hope you start feeling better soon, too.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:43 PM   #4

cbohning HB User

Hi hilery79 - I am sorry to hear you are not feeling better. FINALLY - I am starting to get back to normal. Today is the 10th day since the surgery and I can say I am very close to feeling like myself again. I did have a lot of swelling on the one side where I had dry socket, no bruising. The swelling is just about gone- but today is the first day I noticed that it was not as swollen. I just started eating solid foods again about 2 days ago. That made a huge difference in how I felt. I think that was one of the worst things- not being able to eat. The definite worst was the dry socket. I have never felt pain like that before.

Did you call your doctor and tell him you were not feeling better?? I thought by the 5th day, when I just kept getting worse everyday, something had to be wrong. You should call him if you are still not feeling a bit better each day.

Hang in there and take care- Let us know how you are doing

Last edited by cbohning; 06-16-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Old 10-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #5

littlelola HB User

Hilery, how are you doing? Keep us updated. Hope things have gotten better for you. Numbness shouldn't last any longer than a couple of days at the most after your treatment. Could be nerve damage and hopefully will subside. People can have pain from nerve damage also. What has your doc said about this? For some people the swelling could take longer to go down. I was sore and my cheek looked like a balloon for about a week.

Closed Thread