It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 11:06 AM   #1

brwneyedgrl374 HB User
Question soft liner on dentures

I just got a soft liner put on my upper dentures 3days ago and it has a horrible taste to it. Is this normal and will it go away? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Old 06-24-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
(female)

knorr HB User
Re: soft liner on dentures

Yes, the soft relign material does taste AWFUL.....
but it shouldn't last long....
I have had mine religned a few times, and although there is a 'taste' for the first few days, it's not usually enough to bother me.
Have you soaked them in Efferdent (or something comparable) overnight???
That and brushing will probably help in getting rid of that taste. My dentist told me to be really careful about brushing too hard, as you can brush the soft liner out of the denture!!!
Good luck to you!

Last edited by knorr; 06-24-2004 at 03:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 05:14 PM   #3

brwneyedgrl374 HB User

I haven't soaked them in any thing yet but my dentist told me not to soak them in a cleaner. Is it ok to soak them in efferdent? I have brushed them though. It is getting a little better though. It was awful for me though it actually made me gag to where I had to take them out. Thank you very much for the help.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:45 PM   #4
(female)

krikin HB User

I had a soft re-line done on my top denture about three weeks ago and he never said what to clean them with but I had heard that you shouldn't use the efferdent or polident on a soft reline?? Anybody else hear that?? For now, until I go back I am just brushing them but I'm afraid my bottom denture will be brighter if I use a cleaner on them and not on my top ones??

Old 06-24-2004, 08:48 PM   #5
Inactive

martid HB User

Just use plain antibacterial soap to brush them with. Marti

Old 06-25-2004, 03:25 AM   #6
(female)

knorr HB User

I have not heard that you shouldn't soak them in Efferdent!!! Yikes...I hope that I haven't been doing the wrong thing all along.
Since I keep my denture in all the time, except to clean them, they are only soaking for the few minutes that it takes for me to shower, and I don't necessarily soak them on a daily basis.
Does anyone know why you shouldn't use the Efferdent???

Old 06-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

When I had soft liners in my denture I was never told not to soak in a regular denture cleanser. I was told however not to scrub very hard with the denture brush as the material can tear easily. The taste will go away after a few days. I was also told that a drop or two of bleach will dissenfect the dentures and remove odors from them. I do use it from time to time. I soak mine over night every night.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #8
(female)

krikin HB User

then I think I will soak mine in a denture cleaner - anybody that has soaked yours have you noticed that it has eroded the soft liner at all and that it gets looser??

Old 06-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #9

dely1112 HB User

There is one brand that is advertised "5 minute cleaner". I figured, what the heck, since I only have them out the time it takes to take a shower, and clean them. (It's not like acid, I figured LOL). So far, I have not seen any decline of the liner. Mine did tell me not to soak them, but I figured that was for 8 hours or so. Sometimes I use the anti-bacterial soup on the top to get the adhesive all the way off.

Old 06-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #10
(female)

krikin HB User

okay, another question - I have noticed a lot of you say you keep your dentures in all night and I'd like to do that too but do any of you get denture sores when you leave them in all night?? thanks!

Old 06-27-2004, 05:57 AM   #11
(female)

knorr HB User

I have had my immediate for 3 months and have slept with them from day one. I have tried taking them out during the day, when nobody is home, to rest my gums, but hate the feeling of having no teeth in my mouth. My jaw gets tired/sore and my lips get dry. I have only had one or two sore spots on the roof of my mouth since this journey began, and a quick trip to the dentist solved the problem.
Good luck with your journey to a beautiful new smile....in the end, it really is worth it.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #12

JackOfHearts HB User

I soak my upper full and my lower partial in Efferdent stuff every night - I think it makes a difference in how they "taste" when I put them in.

Val - I was always told to take them OUT at night, otherwise your gums could not breathe and you would develop problems that way. I'm confused.

Old 06-27-2004, 09:16 AM   #13
Inactive

martid HB User

Hey Jack, the dentist always suggest that we remove them at night. If I could wear my upper at night, I would, but at nightime, I can't wait to take it off, it just feels good to me to have it off for a while. Maybe it is because the dentist opened my bite so much that I feel the need to rest may jaws, I don't know. Everyone is different. My mom has been wearing hers 30+ years and does not take if off at night. She never said if that caused her problems or not. She seems always happy, laughs constantly and I am amazed at how well she chews everything, french bread, meat not problem, and she has no speech problem at all. I wonder sometimes what kind of upper denture she wears. Marti

Old 06-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #14
(female)

knorr HB User

Jack,
My dentist did tell me that although he doesn't recommend this practice, he has many patients who don't take them out at night. He did tell me that if I was uncomfortable with my husband or kids seeing me without them, I should take them out during the day when nobody is home.....I tried that in the beginning, but really found it uncomfortable - my jaw really aches without them in. Like Marti, I do know people that wear them 24/7, and have for years without any problems. I have researched the reasons for taking them out, and this is what it says: You're dentures should be taken out at night and at least once a day, especially in a full denture mouth since the right amount of height and depth of gummy/bony ridges determines how well the denture will fit. These ridges need time overnight to rejuvenate. Without this time, ridges lose height faster and dentures become loose and sore faster.
If that means that by keeping them in 24/7 I will probably need to replace my denture more often, then that's a chance I'm willing to take. I can't stand to look at myself without my top denture, I sure don't want my husband or kids to see me without them!!! I look like a tired old witch when I take them out!!! I don't think this is the case for everyone though - maybe it has something to do with how much upper lip support you have....and apparently I don't have any!!! Maybe there will come a day where I won't mind taking them out at night and having my husband see me without them.....but since it's only been 3 months, I'm not even close to ready for that.
Right or wrong, mine are in 24/7 - I might pay for it later on in life...but hopefully by then, I will have hit the lottery and can afford implants!!!
Take care.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:17 PM   #15

JackOfHearts HB User

I guess I'm with the group of "it feels nice to take them out at night". My dentist did tell me that if I stay the night someplace and I can't take them out for "social reasons", that I could keep them in that night and I would not suffer any significant consequences.

I do regret taking them out when I wake up wanting a midnight snack. Can't really eat much of ANYTHING without my replacement teeth, sadly

Marti - I have had my dentures now for 2.5 months - and I'm pretty close to being able to eat almost anything now. I have had subs and can eat them with just a bit of difficulty. I remember where I was back in mid-April, and I never thought I could ever bite down with my front teeth on food. Boy, was I wrong I have become quite accustomed to my dentures now and I don't really notice them anymore unless I deliberatly focus on them, for the most part.

Closed Thread