It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Getting teeth pulled and new dentures!!!!!

Well Thursday the 15th I get all of my 18 teeth pulled out.
Don't know if I will get gas to numb it or just shots.

If anyone has had all their teeth pulled, can you tell me what you were able to eat? Also, did anyone get sick after getting that many extractions. I have a little dentist phobia. I mean when I lay back in the chair what goes through my mind is IS HE GOING TO HURT ME???????

Come on now I am almost 51 grow up a little right? I think it is about time.

Betty

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Lady50
kstroff (12-07-2011), LotusFire (12-19-2011)
Old 07-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Getting teeth pulled and new dentures!!!!!

Hi Betty,

Anxiety is normal with any procedure as intense as the extraction of the rest of your teeth. If you have a chance to talk to the dentist before you are scheduled to go in it might be a good idea to discuss your fears of being sick after the extractions. It might also be a good idea to discuss the type of anesthesia he/she will give to you. They may even prescribe valium ahead of time just to get you there. Hopefully you have someone who will drive you to and from and stay with you for a while.
This is not an easy thing to do. Good luck and feel free to post your questions. Also, check back over the posts from the past few months, they may answer many of your questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2004, 09:26 PM   #3

JackOfHearts HB User

As someone who had a dentist phobia as recently as 4 months ago, I can help you be a bit more at ease.

As Sandy said, definitely talk to your dentist regarding your fears. If your dentist is good, he/she has been through this before with other patients, and will be able to help you through your fears.

I had 22 teeth pulled in April, and was given immediate full upper and lower partial dentures right afterwards. The nurse first gave me some nitrous oxide, which really helped me to relax, and then the anestethia (sp?) was given to me. I feel asleep, and before I knew it, the process was over. If you are getting 18 teeth pulled, are you having an oral surgeon do it? It may be worth going that route.

As far as foods I was able to eat - soft foods work best. I ate lots of mac/cheese, cooked pasta, and stuff like that. At first, you will find it VERY weird to try to eat with the new dentures. Heck, ask the others on this board. They dealt with a few panicky questions from me a few months ago. After time, you will feel more comfortable eating your normal foods as you adjust to eating with the new dentures.

I never really got "sick" after all the extractions. I just felt woozy from all the painkillers I had to take for the next 4 days as I recovered from my surgery.

Facing your fear is the first most important step. No one really enjoys going to see the dentist, however you can work with your dentist to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Keep in mind, that any temporary discomfort you go through during your extractions, will be worth it!!! It certainly was for me. I have a wonderful smile now, and it really makes a difference!!!

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions about dentures. We can all try to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to JackOfHearts For This Useful Post:
TKrysta (12-13-2010)
Old 07-11-2004, 06:11 AM   #4
(female)

npille HB User

Dear Betty: I just had all my upper teeth pulled and two implants started.
No, you will not be in pain during the procedure. I am subject to panic attacks so I had a miserable time. I had gas and didn't think it helped much although I was completely frozen.

Because I formerly had a bridge (most bridges last longer than 10 years but I have complications of Diabetes II) and got a serious infection underneath.
I don't want you to be scared off because you may not have the experience I had.

Here is what you must look forward to:

1. Probably your dental surgeon will put in the denture immediately.

2... Facial swelling and at least four days to unfreeze completely. A liquid diet:
- soups, ice cream, mashed potatoes, yogurt, etc. (This diet will not leave you hungry. I have had to be on a liquid-soft diet for three weeks. but that period of time included before I had my bridge removed and upper teeth pulled.So it may not be that long for you.)

I had pain for several days, and more at night. I was on anit-biotics and tried pain pills with Codeine (not too strong) but I vomited the first night on and off. I took Tylenol - extra strength) and broke a Valium in three parts.
The dentist had given me four. I had never used Valium before - you must be very careful if you use it.

3.You might want to use ice packs. You can put ice cubes in a plastic bag and wrap it in a towel or washcloth.

4 You may have problems with your sinus cavities. You will probably not be able to blow your nose for a day or two. Use a nasal spray sparingly

5. Your jaw bones will ache from being held open plus the denture will need to be adjusted. (only takes a few minutes)

4. Make sure your new denture fits - I have made two trips to the dental surgeon and the second time he adjusted the denture, it helped immensely.

5. Please, if you get depressed, e-mail me. I felt like the "Man In The Iron Mask" but it has been three weeks and I am getting better. It is a shock to your system but you will survive and feel better.

I am some older than you but I was always very vain about my teeth which were quite beautiful but gum disease got me. I still work so try to stay neat and attractive - and I must say this denture is nice looking

Best of luck to you and maybe your experience will be better. Whatever, be prepared for at least a week of adjustment.

Neydine

Last edited by npille; 07-11-2004 at 06:13 AM.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Wink Re: Getting teeth pulled and new dentures!!!!!

Thank you so much for all of your replies.It will be nice to have some pretty teeth. That is what I can't wait to get.

I have to go to Osceola Mo. to get mine pulled. It is about 40 miles away. They are going to pull them. Then I go back in a month and pick up my dentures.

I think I will give them a call tomorrow and see what kind of anesthesia they will give me.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES. YOU SURE DID MAKE ME FEEL MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!

Betty

Old 07-12-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
(male)

interferometer HB User

Getting teeth pulled and new dentures!!!!!

If anyone has had all their teeth pulled, can you tell me what you were able to eat? Also, did anyone get sick after getting that many extractions. I have a little dentist phobia. I mean when I lay back in the chair what goes through my mind is IS HE GOING TO HURT ME???????

Betty

You asked for personal experiences so here goes. My wifeís remaining 26 teeth were pulled almost seventeen years ago at the age of 45. It took the dentist about an hour to do the job. He first gave her nitrous oxide gas to ease her anxiety and reduce the pain of the coming shots. After the gas he gave her shots of a local anesthetic all about her mouth. Once her mouth was numb he used an elevator to loosen each tooth and then a series of forceps to pull them, starting with the molars and working forward ending with the central incisors. Once my wife became convinced that she was not in pain she started enjoying hearing the ping when the dentist dropped a tooth in the stainless steel sink. Her thoughts were there goes another problem forever.

About an hour and half after we arrived at the dentistís office she came walking out to the waiting room wearing her new immediate dentures with her jaws cinched and with a prescription for a pain drug. We stopped at a drugstore and purchased the drug and went home and I put her to bed after giving her a pill. The next morning she decided to forego the pills to see if they were needed. She did not take another one and all of the pills except one were eventually thrown away.

Her teeth were pulled on a Friday afternoon so we returned Monday to have the dentures taken out and her gums inspected. Everything was fine and the dentist instructed her to start taking the dentures out at night and swishing her gums with salt water. She has since always slept toothless. She quickly returned to doing her daily activities. For example we went to a banquet one week after having her teeth pulled and in a couple weeks was back in the church choir. No one commented on a change in her voice or appearance.

At first she only ate soft food but slowly worked her way up to real food. Obviously we do not remember the details. As her gums healed she had to periodically get adjustments and soft relines to her dentures. Her dentures became more and more functional after each reline. After about a year her dentures received a hard reline. The improvement in functionality was dramatic. At that point she had oral efficiency equivalent to that of healthy natural teeth and could eat anything she did as a teenager. Her gums continued to slowly shrink as the healing process continued so about three or four years later it was necessary to get another reline. After six years of use her upper denture cracked. Although it was repaired, the dentist advised her to have a set of permanent dentures made since her immediates were on their last legs. This new set was made at a dental school and lasted ten years. They never loosened during this time and were never repaired or relined. The surface texture of the plastic molars of the permanents slowly wore smooth with use and after ten years it was clear she needed new dentures. She received her third set three months ago, also from the dental school. Both sets from the dental school are superb in quality, fit, and functionality and gave her the smile of a glamour model.

Interferometer

Old 07-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #7

Willy Shawn HB User

I just came across this message board, and must say I don't think I've ever found an online community that seems as sincere as all of you. I'm proud to be a new member.

Betty,

I just had 13 teeth extracted on the 1st. I was asleep for the procedure, and awoke with a mouthful of new teeth (well, upper teeth). All was fine until the anesthetic wore off and I could feel the denture. I still can't wear them for more than 30 minutes before the gag reflex gets me. I am in the process of having them adjusted to hopefully correct this.

The pain from the extraction was not really too bad, feels comparable to a tooth ache. My mouth stopped hurting after a couple of days, and today is just a little tender.

Best advice I could give would be to not get yourself too worked up expecting the worst.

Good Luck,
Willy

Last edited by Willy Shawn; 07-12-2004 at 11:09 PM.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:29 AM   #8

Toothless Wonder HB User

Hi Betty

I had all 32 teeth pulled in one go and my dentist used Novacaine shots. Once my gums were numbed I didn't feel a thing and all the extractions took just over an hour. Once the Novacaine wore off I felt hardly any pain just some soreness. I was able to eat soft foods for the first week and thereafter once the extraction sites started closing over it took another two weeks or so and I was able to eat almost anything within reason. I got my dentures about two and a half months later and my transition to dentures was relatively smooth.

All the best with the extractions. Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers
Charms

Old 07-13-2004, 09:05 AM   #9

Sae HB User

Thank you for all your experiences. The dentists seem to scare me so much about losing bone, you will not be happy with dentures, and on and on and the alternatives they propose are very costly procedures for a few remaining painful teeth. It is wonderful to hear that people survive their dentures and are happy with them. I just wish there were a school in Arizona where I could go. Is that school near Arizona?Best of health to you all!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sae For This Useful Post:
boomerplus (10-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2004, 06:23 AM   #10
(male)

interferometer HB User

My wife's dentures were designed and constructed at the School of Dentistry at the University of Minnesota. The curricula at all dental schools for training dental students are alike and they have similar programs for the students to develop their skills on the public. The University of Arizona has a dental school in Tucson. The denture course is usually in the spring semester, January - May. Denture patients are expected to come in one afternoon per week February to early May. The cost of the dentures will be much cheaper than those from private dentists, my wife's latest set cost $720. And they will be as perfect in fit, construction, components, appearance, and functionality as is possible.

Interferometer

Old 07-14-2004, 07:22 AM   #11
(female)

Nance77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50

Betty
Hi Betty
I was also very nervous about getting any teeth pulled and have a dental phobia, so I opted for the IV Sedation.....It was great and I really recommend it if you are nervous...You dont feel a thing, and wake up with the gauze in your mouth, and you dont even remember the procedure was done! It feels like you are asleep for a few seconds...I didnt get sick or have any bad reactions to it...You will be able to have liquids/soft foods for the first few days...Good Luck and let us know how it went..

Old 07-14-2004, 12:44 PM   #12

ljason HB User

Lady50
Good luck on your procedure tomorrow.. I pray everything will go smooth for you.. Please keep us updated.. whenever my dentist gets my partial back from the lab I will be getting 14 removed... He told me to keep the 9th and 16th in mind for the surgery but no luck the lab was closed for a week for the 4th.. I am nervous but yet I am ready to get it all over with... Please let me know how it all goes.. Did you find out if they were going to sedate or not?
God bless
Lee

Old 07-14-2004, 04:06 PM   #13

Sae HB User

Thank you so much for your information, Interferometer. I copied it down and will contact them when semester starts. Tucson is not that far from Phoenix. Best wishes to you and your wife and it is very nice of you to share your information with the rest of us.
Sae

Old 07-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #14

dely1112 HB User

I didn't have time to wish you good luck, Lady50, but I'm sure you will be fine. You have had a great sense of humor, and will find out what all of us who have gone through multiple extractions find out -- that you are tougher than you know.

I had all 28 of my teeth pulled at one time, got immediate dentures.... have had a few rough spots, but basically, this is what I know. For instance, would it have been better to have some teeth still on the bottom - don't know, because a complete denture is what I have, and what I've become used to. It's been a little over 3 months, and eating has become very easy. I've had steak, peanut butter (gotta be creative with that one not to take too big of bites) And the BIGGEST problem I've had is with a little bitty peanut! Have the hardest time keeping that little round thing in place for me to try to eat it. I can eat other nuts, but that peanut remains elusive!!! But, I pop it in my mouth, and just keep gnawing away until I either swallow it, or eat the darn thing Won't let THAT little bitty nut keep me down!!

Good luck. You will do well, and you will surprize yourself on how quickly you adjust.
Take care!
Debbi

Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
(male)

Timmy008215 HB User

i am just curious on how long i have to wait to use some kind of adhesive. I got 18 extractions 5 days ago with a full upper and lower partial done the same day. I am ready to eat real food again. just having issue with the pressure on the front of the denture popping the back part loose. this sucks and is driving me crazy please help me.

Closed Thread