It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #1

txem27 HB User
Front tooth extraction - replacement options??

i'm having my front tooth pulled this week because despite having a root canal 7 years ago, the tooth can not be saved.

i'm very upset about it - i'm 27 years old and i dont want to spend the next year of my life being self conscious about my smile.

i know what my options are - i.e. maryland bridge or implant...but i have a few questions...

1. i'm really scared to be getting a flipper, i just can't understand how that is suppose to look anything at all near to normal - is there anyone that has had a flipper for a front tooth and can HONESTLY tell me how it looked and how difficult it was to eat with etc?

2. maryland bridge vs. implant - my dentist says bridge my oral surgeon says implant - hard to know what to do - seems like they both want me to do the procedure that will bring them the money lol

anyone have a maryland bridge for a front tooth? how does it look and how llong will it look "normal"

are implants worth the time and expense - and speaking of expense how much will it cost any ideas?

which will look the most real?

sorry if these questions are repeats, i have skimmed some of the other threads but didnt seem to find anything that answered these questions

Old 07-13-2004, 08:15 AM   #2

yesmik2 HB User
Re: Front tooth extraction - replacement options??

A good thing about an implant is that the teeth around the one thats missing don't need to be messed with. I believe the price of an implant is $1500-2000, I think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

Sucha HB User

txem27-
I read your post and was wondering if you've made any decisions or begun the work on your tooth. I too have some front teeth, two of them that will have to come out and be replaced, although my dentist didn't hesitate to say implant. It seems to me the implant would be the easiest and less hassle once its all in. I'm going for a consult with an oral surgeon on the 9th. But in the mean time I'm trying to find others going through it or who have gone through it that can give me some info and pointers

Thanks
Carol

Old 07-31-2004, 07:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

Well i have known a few people who have gotten implants and they would do the treatment again and pay for them again. They love them. They are the best form of treatment i believe when you have a tooth taken out. Now the question is can you afford an implant. Insurance does not cover implants. They will probably cover the crown that goes over the implant,but not the implant it's self. As far as flipper, bridges and implants go they all can look very natural if done the right way. Flippers are harder to get used to because it will cover the roof of the mouth and it's removable. Bridges are nice, but they have to touch the teeth on either side of the missing tooth. If they are healthy teeth(no fillings) then i wouldn't want to do that. This is a fixed bridge usually. Also with these two procedures you have to consider over time replacements, because after 10 or 15 year maybe longer(if you take care of them properly) they will need to be replaced.Over time where the tooth was extracted the bone will slowly shrink away over the years making these two procedures not fitting right or looking quite so natural anymore. So more time and money will need to be invested some years down the road more then likely. Insurance will usually cover these procedures depending on the type of insurance you have. Now the implant in my oppion being the better of the 3 treatments because, they replace the tooth with a titianum implant down into the done. So this means you will not loose bone. The bone it that area will attach to the titanum and be healthy and then a crown goes over it. No need for replacesments later and it can not decay because it's titanum. Place it's not removable. Will look really nice. I think that if you go this way you will be happest. I don't know the cost of implants, but i know the cost is high and the insurance companies are not paying for them yet. So it's a cost that you have to come up with. I don't think that either docotor is trying to get you do his procedure for the money. You have to go back to your general dentist after the oral surgeon or periodontis places the implant to have the crown put on. They will not do that part of the procedure. I think that your oral surgeon is just wanting the best treatment for you. If you can afford it or they work out payment plans or something with you i would take that way if i where you. Again that is just the way i feel and i would have that treatment done and would recommend it to my family and friends. So that is why i recommend it to you. It's your choice and good luck with whatever you decide.Do some internet research about implants. I am sure that would be very helpful too. Do it on the flipper and bridge too.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

Sucha HB User

Thanks for the info, Brwneyes. I definitely want something that is going to last, that I wont have to replace later down the line. To me, as long as I can afford it, it would be worth the money to have the most natural looking longest lasting, lowest maintenance replacement I can have. My insurance will cover some of it, at least that is what they told me when I called them to inquire. I"ll go for the consult and then call insurance again to verify. i"m going next Monday the 9th. What types of questions should I ask this DR? I trust my dentist, since he has been a friend of my parents for years, so I trust he will be sending me to a good one...
Also, while the implants are healing, will I be able to eat on them? Mine are in the front of my mouth, the two on either side of my big upper teeth. Right now one is loose so its hard to eat sandwiches as is. While they are healing, i'm assuming I wont be able to bite into much- am I right? Thanks for the info- I'll know more I'm sure after my consult but right now I feel this is a good option to take.
Carol

Old 08-02-2004, 03:49 PM   #6

Skyla HB User

Brwneyez9

I agree that an implant option is also the way to go. What I'm confused about is what happens if you have an implant bridge, and something happens to it, like it cracks, or gets worn. Then won't the whole bridge have to be replaced? The prost I consulted with really confused me. I'm looking at replaceing my front teeth, and my back molars on top. He said if I lost one of the remaining teeth down the line, he would have to remake the whole thing. Ok the front I could see since its all one unit, but it wouldn't be attached to the back molars.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

Now an implant is going to require less maintance, but you could still need to get the crown on the implant replaced. Now i am not say that you will have to or won't have to. Crowns are hand made usually front teeth procelin(can also be made of all gold or porcelin fused to metal). Now we all know that porclein is a glass and glass can break. Every on is different. You could never have a problem with this or you could. I have seen these crowns last 20 years plus with out them breaking. Usually they need replace because the patient gets recurrent decay under it. Which you don't have to worry about b/c you will have an implant and they don't decay. Really double and double check your insurance. I have never heard of an insurance company paying for implants. They will probably pay for the crown that will go over your implant,but i have never heard of them covering the impant. What you can do is have your dentist send in preauthorization for the crown and they who ever is doing the implant have them send on in for the implant. This way you know for sure what they will cover. If you get i in writing from your insurance company they you have something later saying that is what they said instead of just them telling you that and you fighting later if they don't pay. I have seen this happen to many time where you call and they say they will pay, but when they get the claim they won't pay it. They will even tell your dentist they will pay and then not pay. So getting a preauthorization is a really good idea before you start your treatment. This way you will know what you need to pay. I think healing will go better then you think. Yes a few days you will probably be eating soups and things, but i have talked to a few people that said healing went way better then they expected and wouldn't have any problem doing it again. Usually the implants are a two step procedure. First they place the implant into the bone cover that up and let that heal and after some healing time you go back and have the top of the implant place while you are waiting on the final crowns they usually have some kind of cap that goes over the implant. Nothing fancy. Trust your dentist he will really send you to someone he trust. If for any reason you don't like where he sent you let him know. He needs his patients feedback. If he sends patients out and no one give him feedback they he only can go off the kind of work the other dentist does. If he's doing a great job then he will keep sending patients there. It's not only about how good his work is he needs to treat you right too. Some dentist can do great work and not treat the patient friendly. It's about both. Really trust him he won't steer you wrong. You have to choices an oral surgeon or periodontist. This is up to you and your dentist on where you want to go. They both are very capable of doing the treatment. Oral surgeon well takes teeth out and does implants cases that is what they specialize in. Periodonits specailizes in the bone and gums and implants. I am sure you have heard of periodontal disease(gum disease) that is what they work with lot. Both specailize in the implants and will do a wonderful job. Talk it over with you dentist. Also ask if he has a education DVD it's called casey. It's a popular patient education tool where i am from and it explains the implant process and will probably answer alot of questions. Good luck. Remember to double check that insurance.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:40 PM   #8
(female)

Sucha HB User

Thanks for all the info. I"ll definitly ask about the video, and check on the preauthorization. I may have misunderstood. Either way though, I"ll probably still get it done, just because I know these baby teeth wont be in there forever, as one is already loose. I'll keep you posted!!

Old 08-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

Good luck with your treatment. I hope that everything works out for you.

Closed Thread