It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 08:34 PM   #1

beepositive HB User
Denture tooth color help-Urgent!

Hello everyone,
I went to the dentist for my impressions today for dentures. When it came to picking the color they talked me into a tooth color that I think is too yellow.

After I got home I called and told them I want to come in tomorrow and look again before deciding. They want me to go with a A-1 or D-4. Can anyone help me out here with some of the colors you have picked?
The colors are not even as bright as the caps I have now.
I would love to get some ideas before tomorrow. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

Old 07-15-2004, 03:57 AM   #2

ljason HB User
Re: Denture tooth color help-Urgent!

I chose b1 for my partial and he is going to bleach the rest of my teeth to get them up to that color.. I believe B1 is the whitest w/o going to pure white colors but not positive but maybe someone else will post before you go..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 05:32 AM   #3

dalesgirl HB User

I can't honestly say that I remember what the number of my color was but I believe it was like 2 shades after the pure white. I think I chose a good color, I've been challenged in the past about wether I even have dentures or not. I had a cousin who got the pure white and OMG they were awful!

Old 07-15-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

My are kinda more yellowish than white to match my lower teeth also, but they look realistic. I would think you'd want them to match your caps.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #5

beepositive HB User

Thank you for your replys. The dentist wouldn't let me see the b1 so I didn't have that choice. Today I will ask him to see all the colors. The caps I have are going with the rest of the teeth. I think If I go in with light caps and come out with yellower teeth it will be as noticable that I am wearing dentures as if I went in with yellower teeth and came out with bright ones. I don't understand why he wants me to be less bright now. I am taking my husband and sister tohelp me pick today. I am also taking the teeth outside in the sun to check the color. I think outside will give me a better idea of realistic color.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:27 PM   #6

ljason HB User

Why wouldn't he let you see the B1??? So how did the visit go?

Old 07-15-2004, 11:04 PM   #7

beepositive HB User

When I went she once again handed me the yellow colors. My sister and husband said a big NO. My sister said, don't you have anything whiter? So she relucently handed me a brighter color. This one matched my caps and we picked that one. I walked away much happier. Now for the hard part, extractions the 7th of next month and a mouth full of new teeth to get adjusted to.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #8

ljason HB User

Im glad you got what you wanted... How many extractions are you getting.. Are you getting sedated..I just wish my dentist would call.. He said he would call and make the the appt. once he got the partial back and it has been 4 weeks.. I just wish it would hurry and be over.. I have to have 14 extracted.. keep us updated....

Old 07-16-2004, 10:28 AM   #9

dely1112 HB User

You know beepositive, I'd be pretty mad if I were you about your dentist's attitude! They should mention to you (maybe) to be careful not to have a "chicklet" smile, but the overall choice is yours. To not show you the color chart is maddening, much less try to refuse to. I am light skinned, light red hair and blue eyes, and have a nearly white color for my teeth. The dentist thought it looked great. Now, if my skin were darker, they'd probably appear even more white, so I would have listened to an explanation if someone though it were too light. Well, I am glad you got the color that will make you happy. In the end, that's one of the plus sides of being able to choose. Take care!

Old 07-16-2004, 09:56 PM   #10

beepositive HB User

Wow Lee&Jason, 4 weeks would be hard for me too. I hope he calls you soon, the waiting is very hard. Let me know how your doing. I am getting 21 teeth pulled and two tori removed. I will be sedated, I've had teeth pulled before and don't like the sound. I would rather be asleep and not hear anything.
dely1112, I was very upset. I couldn't understand why they wanted me to go more yellow than I already am. He said "I think your current caps are too white and if you go with that color everyone will know you're wearing dentures". I said "if I come out with teeth more yellow wouldn't that have the same effect"?
I hope there are very few people rude enough to walk up to me and ask if I am wearing dentures. But if I meet one I will say yes, isn't my smile beautiful?

Old 07-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

glad to hear you got what you wanted. It should always be what the patient wants even if it doesn't match the teeth they have. As long as you are happy with it. I can't believe they wanted you to go with D4 that is really dark. Then they also give you the choice of A1. A1 is a good shade i think. It is a little yellow, but it nothing like a D4. If the pt doesn't really care what color they get then i usually do the A1. The other guy is right b1 is the lightest shade before you go to the bleach shades. Glad to hear that you got what you wanted though finally. Way to stand your ground. You have to wear them for a long time you need to be happy with the color. I can't believe your dentist was being like that though.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:28 AM   #12

dely1112 HB User

beepositive:
With this day of teeth whitening for everyone, you see TONS of people walking around with dazzling smiles. Who's to know if they are "real" or dentures? ANYWAY, my dentures are now my "real" teeth, so the question could be answered with "these ARE mine". (Nobody's going to take them away from me, anyway
You are going to have two tori removed? I've been doing research on that, I have one on the top, middle of roof of mouth. Been trying to decide, but it's hard. My dentist said mine isn't big enough to cause a problem, but I just started to reduce the amount of adhesive I use because my suction isn't great. Not bad, but at times I have to be careful.
Where are your tori's?

Old 07-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #13

beepositive HB User

dely1112,
My tori's are on the bottom, both sides. If I didn't have them removed I would have no room for my tongue with the bottom denture in. I have a very small tori on the roof of my mouth and the oral surgon surgeon said it would be ok to leave it.
I am getting very nervous, my time is coming up soon. I'm sure I will have many more questions. Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:00 PM   #14

julia8183 HB User

my teeth are slightly yellow - i dont smoke, but i drink a lot of tea ! i had a partial made a few weeks ago, and it matches my natural teeth perfectly and because the clasp is barely visible, no one can tell im wearing a partial. i cannot whiten my teeth as i have receding gums and it would make the problem of sensitivity worse, so i guess im stuck with vanilla color teeth !

Closed Thread