It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 01:21 PM   #1

shortformofjane HB User
awake during wisdom teeth removal, will i feel pain?

Im getting my bottom 2 wisdom teeth out this week. i have been holding off forever. they hurt every once in a while, couldnt take it anymore so i finally got enough courage to get them pulled. I will be awake during the procedure and they are giving me laughing gas. Will i feel any pain? also what is laughing gas like. I have never had it before. im kinda scared how its going to make me feel.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
(female)

Kikki HB User
Re: awake during wisdom teeth removal, will i feel pain?

No, you will not feel any pain during the proceedure. With nitrous oxide, you will know what is going on, but it just won't matter one bit (unlike IV sedation where you probably would not remember a thing). The gas will make you feel very warm and relaxed and you might feel a hair mentally foggy. You don't get that drowsy, can hardly stay awake feeling like IV sedation, which is nice. It is almost like being drunk - you just have a mellow outlook on things. The nice thing about nitrous oxide is that once you are finished and have taken a few deep breaths of oxygen, you feel very normal (maybe slightly tingley). You will definately need someone to drive you though - not so much because you will still be out of it, but after such an experience you can get a bit queezy. All in all, you will not mind your NO experience (some people look forward to getting gassed!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 04:05 PM   #3

dely1112 HB User

shortformofjane:
I had five wisdom teeth pulled very long ago. It was not painful, and as kikki said, the gas makes you VERY mellow. You will be glad you worked up the courage to do it. If you have a small mouth, it will be good to have them out (more room for flossing).
Good luck, and let us know how you do!
Take care,
Debbi

Old 07-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #4

shortformofjane HB User

Thanks guys!
that makes me feel a little more relaxed. Its so stressful, i wish my appointment was today so i could just get it over with. But i will let you know how it goes!

Old 07-21-2004, 11:28 AM   #5

Location: Outside of a small town in TX. I love it. Peace and quiet and down the road from my parents.
angnicmarie HB User

HI! I had 4 wisdom teeth removed a couple of years ago. They could not get a good vein, so instead of I.V., they gave me a shot in the roof of my mouth. That was the most painful part of it all. I did not get gassed and was wide awake during the procedure and felt NO PAIN whatsoever. I even got to hear the crack of when they cracked the teeth in half and pulled them out. It was pretty interesting, but no, no pain. Take care and good luck.
Nicole

Old 07-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

The gas makes me feel a bit like I'm sort of floaty and inside a tunnel or something. Sort of removed from the situation. I'm a bit of a wimp, so my dentist gives me gas when I get fillings done. You can still feel the pain with the gas, so I hope they are also going to numb you up with novocaine. I had a filling done (redone, actually, since he didn't get it all the first time) a few weeks ago with the gas and novocaine. I felt a little pain at one point, but it's not too bad. The nice thing about the gas is that the mask just covers your nose, so if you feel like you want to be less aware, you breathe through your nose, but if you feel like you are getting too much of it, you can take a breath through your mouth. Basically, you are in control of the level of gas you are getting. When I got my wisdom teeth out I went with the IV because I didn't want to have to listen to them hack my teeth to bits (they were really impacted), but lots of people get it done with just novocaine or gas, so try not to worry.

Old 07-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Ok I had my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday! I took 2 halcium (sleeping pills) and had the gas but it had a reverse effect on me. I was very hiper and anxious. I can't remember yesterday at all but my dentist is my father in law and my mother in law assisted. They told me I kept freaking out and said I could feel it. They gave me a ton of shots in the mouth but I still said it hurt. Finally after a ton of shots they didn't believe me anymore. They told me I kept jerking and gagging not calm at all. I begged for another halcium pill so they gave me one and it made no difference. I am only 115 lb so it should have knocked me out. They said I fought sedation the entire time. The meds produce an amnesia effect so I cannot remember anything. Yesterday I slept all day and threw up 3 times. Today my mouth hurts like hell and I have had a milkshake and some frozen lemonade. I can't wait to get better. Hope your experience goes better then mine did.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #8
(female)

antsmarching81 HB User

I had two wisdom teeth taken out two days ago - no laughing gas, no IV sedation. Just novocaine. And I didn't feel any pain, other than when they injected the novocaine. (Which I'd had done before for fillings - and it's not that bad.) But as for the actually teeth coming out - didn't feel a thing.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #9
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

I got a wisdom tooth pulled in April. I was absolutely terrified when I went in. They gave me the needle, (I was almost hyperventilating) and two minutes later, he sticks the pointy thing (LMAO I have no idea what it's called) the one shaped like an L at the end. and I can feel the coolness.

He then sticks something in my mouth and I'm ready to feel PAIN... I whimper...but don't feel a thing!!! He pushed down on the tooth to loosen it and it was out in 10 seconds flat!!! ( felt like the biggest duff about worrying like I did LOL LOL)

No worries. You will NOT feel pain. In fact I was eating chicken wings and onion rings that night LOL. I still have the tooth... it's HUGE! LOL

You'll be just fine. You won't feel a thing, and you know what... I didn't feel much pain afterwards neither. Just be sure to bite down on the gauze that he gives you for about 20 minutes. You're gonna taste blood every once in a while when you open your mouth a little too wide, but it'll be more of a relief than anything.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Tamaralynn; 07-22-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:45 PM   #10
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

Oh! I never had gas either!

Old 07-22-2004, 06:52 PM   #11
(female)

Nance77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by besafe20
Ok I had my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday! I took 2 halcium (sleeping pills) and had the gas but it had a reverse effect on me. I was very hiper and anxious. I can't remember yesterday at all but my dentist is my father in law and my mother in law assisted. They told me I kept freaking out and said I could feel it. They gave me a ton of shots in the mouth but I still said it hurt. Finally after a ton of shots they didn't believe me anymore. They told me I kept jerking and gagging not calm at all. I begged for another halcium pill so they gave me one and it made no difference. I am only 115 lb so it should have knocked me out. They said I fought sedation the entire time. The meds produce an amnesia effect so I cannot remember anything. Yesterday I slept all day and threw up 3 times. Today my mouth hurts like hell and I have had a milkshake and some frozen lemonade. I can't wait to get better. Hope your experience goes better then mine did.
I'M sorry you had such a bad time...The gas also has that effect on me and also makes me very dizzy even after its off, so I won't take it..In the future, if you have work done, you might want to try the IV sedation...It is really good, you are really relaxed, pretty much asleep, and you dont feel pain or anything..I actually just had it again today, as I needed some more work on an extraction site, and I felt fine afterwards, a little tired..This time I could hear the surgeon and nurses talking off and on, and I opened my eyes once and saw him doing the string for the sutures, lol, but then I went right back to sleep...

Old 07-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #12

shortformofjane HB User

Hooray! its finally over.
one of my teeth had 3 roots! Freeky. you are only supposed to have 2. But everything went good. Im glad i had the laughing gas. the only thing is that i feel a little nausious
now..but i think its from the meds.

Closed Thread