It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 12:08 PM   #1

shortformofjane HB User
how do dentists pull wisdom teeth?

Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone was awake during the procedure, how does the dentist or OS pull out the teeth? do they use some machine? I just want to know what to expect when i go in tomorrow to get mine pulled.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: how do dentists pull wisdom teeth?

Well it depends. If your wisdom teeth have "crowned" and grown in just like your other teeth, they will probably give you a local and pull them out with a tool that grabs on to the tooth and pulls it out. It's kinda creepy sounding coming out.
If your teeth are impacted and below the surface, they will put you to sleep and take them out. There are usually stitches involved with this procedure as they will need to make an incision in your gum to get to the teeth.
I had all 4 of mine pulled at once. The upper two had crowned, but the bottom two were impacted. I was put to sleep during the procedure. Mine were pulled on a Friday morning and I was back at work on Monday. I had no problems and no infections as a result. Make sure you go back for your follow up visit to be sure the "holes" are healing properly.
You will be sore the first couple of days and the dentist may give you a pain killer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 09:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled a few months ago they were impacted. So, the dentist had to break the teeth into pieces with a drill and then dig the pieces out. Afterwards I had a few shards of tooth left in my gums but they worked their way out and were painless. good luck!

Old 07-21-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
Veteran

lateeth HB User

We'll be going at the same time tomorrow...i am having my wisdom teeth plus 2 others pulled tomorrow....I'll be thinking about you.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:58 AM   #5
(female)

antsmarching81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortformofjane
Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone was awake during the procedure, how does the dentist or OS pull out the teeth? do they use some machine? I just want to know what to expect when i go in tomorrow to get mine pulled.
I just had two out on Tuesday.

I was given novocaine, and after that I just kept my eyes closed because I didn't want to see what they were using! Honestly, it was over VERY quickly, and I didn't feel anything. The worst part was the SOUND it makes when it comes out. There was a loud cracking-like sound. I didn't feel anything - but the sounds kinda freaked me out a bit. But it really wasn't that bad at all.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
Veteran

lateeth HB User

Hope everything went well for you. I had mine out yesterday too and today i am well enough to be reading and writing on this board! Let us know how it went. I saw those big, giant , instruments of destruction lied out on the table before we started and that was a bit frightening, but i knew from others it would not hurt. They should hide those huge tools from us until we are asleep or have our eyes closed.

Old 07-23-2004, 05:12 PM   #7
(female)

Nance77 HB User

[QUOTE=lateeth]Hope everything went well for you. I had mine out yesterday too and today i am well enough to be reading and writing on this board! Let us know how it went. I saw those big, giant , instruments of destruction lied out on the table before we started and that was a bit frightening, but i knew from others it would not hurt. They should hide those huge tools from us until we are asleep or have our eyes closed.[/QUOTE

Oh my gosh, I know what you mean..Thats the first thing I noticed when I walked in the room...All the wonderful tools lying there on the table! Some type of pliers thing and alot more...I was like oh no....But luckily I went to sleep and didnt have to see him use them!

Old 07-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #8
(female)

Kikki HB User

Gotta love the freaky tools! Looks like they just got them at Home Depot... very industrial! But I have a good friend who is a dentist and have seen some of the other things he attacks people with, and there are much scarier things in their arsenal, I promise!

Old 07-23-2004, 07:59 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Just make sure that you follow the doctor's orders exactly. Infections are easy to get when getting wisdon teeth out. You don't want dry socket. Leave the clots alone. They will explain all of this to you but if they put you out you will be woosey during the explanation part.

If the roots are not wrapped around the bone and it is a simple pull, a little gas, a bit of navacaine and you are good to go. My mom had hers pulled with no pain meds.

Ask for gas if you can and take head sets.

Closed Thread