It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
Inactive

DSide HB User
Going To The Dentist - First Time In Ages...

Hi Guys,

I'm a 19 year old guy from the UK and over the last few weeks i've had the most awful toothache. My wisdom teeth started to come through at the back and the pain dissapeared, however the toothache returned a week later in a different area of the left side of my mouth.

Now, I've not been to the dentist for a couple of years and because of that i've been taken off the register so I've decided to go Private which means paying per month for my treatment.

But, i've not got the most perfect teeth in the world and was wondering if anyone could help me out on a few questions:

1) I really want to get my teeth straightened as they are slightly crooked but I've still got a lot of my 'baby' teeth on the lower part of my mouth. What would be the process if this happend as my 'baby' teeth show no sign of coming out.

2) I've also started to get a really foul taste in my mouth, especially in the morning, I brush three times a day and chew minty gum but there's still this horribal (not metallic) taste that keeps recurring.

3)Also I really want to get my teeth whitened but I don't know if the results would be beneficial. I drink lots of tea and have just given up smoking but i've got these horrible stains at the top of my front teeth which won't go away no matter how hard I clean them. Would whitening make much a difference?

I know its going to cost a fortune if I can get all this done but I believe this would do my confidence a whole lot good. I've always been self-concious of my teeth and really need help and by going back to the dentist again I hope to get the results I want.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 04:37 PM   #2

ysco HB User
Re: Going To The Dentist - First Time In Ages...

I will try to answer your questions briefly;

1. You will need to refer this question to an orthodontist. I do not know much about the procedures in this particular situation.

2. This is pretty common, it can be related to some types of bacteria in your mouth, plaque or stomach and diet. There are some products that may help out there, I suggest you consult your dentist first about the probable cause and ask him/her which treatment he/she recommends.

3. If your teeth are all natural (i.e. not filled/bonded or artificial) then yes, "professional whitening" would make a difference. It is quite costly, however. There are some much cheaper whitening products available over the counter as well, but they are not as effective and long-lasting.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Dside,

Most likely they will extract your wisdom teeth before doing braces, and the baby teeth. My son is going for braces soon, and they took out his remaining baby teeth, so the permanent ones would be coming in around the 6 months for braces. I myself, had teeth extracted before braces, and my wisdom teeth extracted after my braces (for the fact they were impacted and causing crooked teeth on my bottom jaw after years of braces *sigh*)

The bad breath I agree with ysco, can be due to an infection, periodontal disease of the gums and gingivitis. Same for the whitening, especially since you have quit smoking.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
(female)

soliloquy HB User

If you are 19 and still have baby teeth, it is very likely that you do not have permanent teeth to replace them. X-rays will show if this is the case or not. You will need to consult an orthodontist - they may or may not want to extract the baby teeth. As for the horrible taste, I agree with the others that it may be due to gingivitis (inflammed, irritated gums) which if not addressed can lead to periodontitis.

Congrats on quitting smoking!

Last edited by soliloquy; 08-07-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
Inactive

DFC HB User

Hi DSide,
re. question 1, see previous replies.
number 2: often due to plaque and tartar buildup. Should go away once your teeth have been cleaned and any major problems (if any) fixed. A simple cleaning might be all that's required.
number 3: again, a simple cleaning might make a huge difference =) - wait until afterwards to see if whitening is required at all.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions re. periodontal disease and similar at your age, esp. after reading your description of your problems.

Closed Thread