It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

wideawakeinaz HB User
Smile Deep Cleaning is finished....

I just had my 2nd half of my deep cleaning and i have to say, in my short, 30 year life...i have never in my life felt more pretty than i do now.

For the first time in my life, no more hiding my mouth from people because of the bad, bad, bad tartar buildup. No more, trying not to talk while showing my bottom teeth (worst than top). Now, i can show my bottom and my front teeth while talking and smiling and laughing and not having the fear that people will see my mouth and think, 'shes gross or ugly'.

i absolutely feel pretty and now, i feel better and more confident. i don't remember the last time my teeth looked nice, i don't think they ever did. i never took care of my mouth, because i was never raised to and now, i'm doing all i can to make my mouth look and feel better and to get rid of this gum disease i have.

i just wanted to share with anyone out there who is nervous, believe me, i was so scaried, i cried my first time there. i didn't want to go, fearing that something would go wrong and that it was a big waste of money or something. but honestly, it's only been an hour since i had mine done and i'm still waiting for the novicane to wear off....but i can already feel the confidence.

i just wanted to share with everyone....that for the first time ever in my life, i do feel pretty and i'm not afraid to smile!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #2

dely1112 HB User
Re: Deep Cleaning is finished....

Way to go!!! I'm happy that it turned out so well for you. Make sure you keep it up - with gum disease you will have to keep on the dentist's schedule for you. Now that you know you can do it, it won't be hard!

Take care!!
Debbi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
Inactive

DFC HB User

I suppose one of the best things about dental phobia is the huge sense of relief you get (compared to someone with "just" dental fear) when you make it there and you find that "the mess" can actually be saved. If you hold onto that feeling, you might find that, unlike many people, you may even enjoy going to your dentist (which, of course, is very cool indeed). I was in a similar position to yourself (despite some pretty extensive dental work as a child, I never even knew that "cleaning" existed until my thirties and it showed!).
Thanks for sharing this - I'm sure it'll be of help to others! And congratulations!!!

Old 09-25-2004, 07:43 AM   #4

align HB User

What's deep cleaning? I am not sure if I need one. Any Suggestions?

Old 09-25-2004, 05:26 PM   #5
Inactive

DFC HB User

Hi align, "deep cleaning" is when your teeth are cleaned below the gumline. It's sometimes referred to as "root scaling and planing". You can't really know if you need it - it's sort of a dentist's job to decide. It's very hard for a layperson to judge.
Deep cleaning may be recommended if the tool used to measure "pockets" in the gums shows that they're 4 mm plus deep. But that's just a very general rule of thumb. It also depends on other things, for example if the gums show signs of bacterial infection.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #6

align HB User

I am confused to who should have deep cleaning. I know 2 friends who had deep cleaning suggested by their dentists. I have been to different dentists, nobody ever suggested me to do deep cleaning.

The first time I ever got my teeth cleaned was 5 years ago in my life. Since i had not have a clean for past 10 years, why didn't the dentists suggest me to do deep cleaning??

Someone from this message board said people should get a deep cleaning every 2 or 3 years. Is that true? I never had a deep cleaning in my life.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran

lateeth HB User

I never had a deep cleaning in my life either and now i have periodontal disease, however, my understanding is that the deep cleaning is necessary when you have pockets. If your dentist is checking regularly for pockets (they stick a little measuring stick between your teeth and gum and call out numbers) then they should be on top of periodontal disease. If you have no pockets or small pockets (2 mm or so) you probably don't need a deep cleaning as they can get to the bottom of your pockets with a regular cleaning. But I am a new "expert" on this so some other folks may have other advice.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #8
(female)

mayansun HB User

I have recently learned I have to have this done. I have had regular dental cleanings every 6 months since as long as I can remember (I'm 27). However, I am beginning to have some gum recession that is not due to disease but rather to thin gum tissue (a genetic thing) and overactive bacteria (also a genetic gift). My dentist referred me to a periodontist to do a complete evaluation and the cleanings are the first step to hopefully halt the recession and prevent further problems. Following that gum surgery is an option.

If your dentist hasn't mentioned it, it probably isn't something you need right now but ask if you are curious. I take good care of my teeth, after braces and everything else I want to keep them but it took 27 years for anyone to tell me I had thin gum tissue and for recession to become a problem.

I'd say check with your dentist and go from there. It is a more comprehensive cleaning then the one you get in general but not everyone needs this type of cleaning and as they can be costly why do it if you don't have to!

Old 09-29-2004, 01:32 PM   #9

chelle123 HB User

Thats awesome Im going for my 2nd deep cleaning the 2nd week of October, I thought my teeth looked a lot better too but now I notice the build-up keeps coming back no matter how hard I brush and floss and I even have a special tooth bruth I brought at the dentist and I too have that diease. Any suggestions anyone???

Old 09-30-2004, 08:11 AM   #10

align HB User

I just went to my oral surgeon this morning. He told me that what I see & feel strange on my gum (of the extracted tooth) is my BONE. Because my gum is very thin, so I can see the bone now. It is not infection or something. I feel much better.

Closed Thread