It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 03:13 PM   #1

moonlight8 HB User
Toothache caused by crown placement?

Anyone, esp. dental professionals have an opinion on this?
I had a gold crown permanently put on a top right molar after 3 weeks with a temporary. It had been a deep filling, (another perm. crown was there before this one) was built up with a post, i think, and a temporary put on. Despite the dentist's and my initial concerns before work started that it would need a root canal it was fine-no pain whatsoever and in fact I chewed on that tooth more than usual because my left side also had temporaries that hurt a lot more.
Two days ago I had the permanent crown fused on and the bite was very off the mark so the DDS kept burnishing/drilling with different sized drills to file it down properly. I had to bite hard on a stick or something to push the crown in, then he would pull the tooth out and adjust. Then he cemented it on and I recall he still had to adjust it at least 10 more times in my mouth (eg he did the carbon paper grinding test endlessly, then drilled more off...) all the while the assistant shooting it with cold air which was uncomfortable.
To my horror, this previously fine tooth woke me up at 5 am later that day with a bad toothache (and I had taken a STRONG prescription NSAID right after leaving the office!) . the pain seemed to be throbbing and diffuse in the whole top right back area, about 4-5 teeth from the molar in question to the front, but now has narrowed to the last one only, at the outer ridge nearest my cheek wall (which is still too high and doesn't feel right). I don't want and can't afford (another) root canal! Is it possible that the prolonged vibration and cold air while adjusting could have aggravated my nerve beyond help and my body's abilty to settle the nerve? The tooth was FINE and now is still tender in that area. I spent $60 on homeopathics in desparation yesterday and they worked TREMENDOUSLY to help but it (just that tooth) is still tender. My DDS claims that no vibration would irritate the nerve like that, but it was 45 minutes or so of air shooting and burnishing, not to mention my mouth being open (I do have some muscles that feel sore /strained in my jaw and temple after the work). How could this pain be a coincidence or just spontaneous as he claims? Anyone else had this happen during crown placement? thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
(female)

Loud HB User
Talking Re: Toothache caused by crown placement?

Hi, Moonlight. I'm not a dental professional: just someone who has had many crown/root canals done. Two possibilities exist here: you will just have to wait for the tooth to "settle down". I have had similar pain afterwards, for varying lengths of time, after getting crowns put on. That's why I hate getting crowns! Other people will tell you that getting a crown put on didn't bother them afterwards, at all. So we're all different. Your tooth was traumatized when the permanent crown was put on; not to mention all the adjustments that had to be done on it. Gradually, the tooth should start feeling better. If it continues to get worse, or no better, do go back to your dentist. Sometimes the tooth trauma, from getting a crown put on, will kill the tooth. In your case, having a deep filling in the tooth is troublesome/worrying. Just having a deep filling can eventually kill the tooth. So, if the tooth keeps getting worse, you will need the root canal. I have had teeth die after getting them crowned, and my dentists always just drill through the crown. But I never have had a gold crown put on, so I don't know if that can be drilled through. Good luck...I hope the tooth calms down! Deb

Old 08-14-2004, 03:04 PM   #3

moonlight8 HB User
Re: Toothache caused by crown placement?

Thanks Loud for your clear answer and your concern. Hope you're pain free at the moment.
as for my tooth-- It's feeling better today-- thank god for homeopathy. I swear I was so desparate to avoid losing another live tooth that I did some furious searching on the internet and decided to try hypericum, arnica, chamomilia and mercurius for my pain. It worked! Best of all i have high hopes that it has stimulated my body to actually calm and heal the nerve rather than just deaden my brain/nervous system to the pain, which is my understanding of what some OTC painkillers do. A very nice dentist from dentistry.com wrote me also and said that pulp has a pretty good ability to heal itself given that it's trapped in an enclosed space (bone) when it gets inflamed.

Word to whoever gets crowns done--make sure the bite is perfect before they cement it permanently! As another dentist mentioned, (confirming my fears) the drills can cause high temperatures and vibrations and pulp damage when they do adjustments in your mouth instead of chairside/in your dentist's hand.

I don't think my dds is truly incompetent but this is a "little" detail that makes a big difference!

Closed Thread