It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
Inactive

omysty HB User
Gum Grafting Anyone?

Hi,

I'm getting ready to have my 4 front teeth gum grafted. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Any suggestions? He doesn't have an antibiotic prescribed for me during the procedure is that normal? Any pain with it, recovery time?

Thanks for any info or insight!

Dana

Old 08-29-2004, 07:27 AM   #2

Wilkey HB User
Re: Gum Grafting Anyone?

Hi!
I have had several gum graftings, so here is what to expect. You will be very numb during the surgery, but, at least for mine, they removed the tissue from the roof of my mouth, but all you could feel was a little pressure. Make sure you cannot feel anything when the begin the procedure.
Afterwards, get your pain medicine filled and settle in for about two-three days of recuperation. You will experience pain, but just take your medicine as directed, and it is not too bad.
I had my first two grafting procedures for the gums around my back molars. The third one I had was for my front bottom teeth. I had it on a Friday, and over the course of the weekend, I would pull out my bottom lip to take a look at it. I think this might have been because I had no idea what the first two looked like back there, curiosity at how it was healing, etc.
But, anyway, the stitched did not hold and it opened up, the worst pain ever. I had to wait for it to heal over and close up, than had to have the grafting all over again two months or so later. So, don't do that, no matter how strong the curiousity is to just peek at it.
Other than that, it is really not as bad as it sounds. Make sure you have liquid nourishment products available. You won't be able to eat for a week or so with the front grafting, or at least, I couldn't.....On a bright note, I lost the ten pounds I never seemed to be able to lose.
If you have any questions, just let me know!
Wilkey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 07:32 AM   #3

Wilkey HB User

Dana,
I forgot to answer about the antiobiotic. I didn't have one either for mine, except for the third grafting on my front teeth which didn't take, and than I took antiobiotics, because with the gums gapping open, he was afraid of infection.
So, if you don't have any problems, you shouldn't need an antiobiotic.

Old 08-29-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
Inactive

omysty HB User

Thanks Wilkey I appreciate, it, and I definitely won't look! I go in the 7th so I'll keep you posted, I'm not a big of going to a dentist or peridonist, haven't had any problems until now! Did they give you a reason for the recession on your gums?

Thanks,

Dana

Old 08-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #5
(female)

ktnap HB User

Dana, I had eight of them done last year. I wouldn't recommend that. Glad to hear you're only doing four.

Like Wilkey, I had problems with bleeding (the stitches didn't totally come out, but still unpleasant. I'm not sure if you're having the upper or lower front gums done. A couple of mine last were were lower and it is so easy to bump that area (chin against phone, moves easily when eating). Be sure to follow the instructions about putting ice pack on your face when it does bleed. I was still having problems with that after a week.

The hardest part for me is trying to brush your teeth, avoiding that area, and NOT being able to brush there at all until the dr. checks it for proper healing (I'm a fanatic about dental hygiene).

Unfortunately, I have to have 4 more done this coming week and this time, they're all the lower gum (2 of which he's building on from last year - he has not said if it is problems I was having with the bleeding during healing, he just said he'd like to build the gum tissue up a bit more in the worst area).

I'm Not looking forward to it, but after the results I saw from last year I'm NOW glad I did it. Hope I feel the same way Thursday

Take care and we can be suffering together. Oh, and get your pain medication filled!

Kathy

Old 08-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #6
Inactive

omysty HB User

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info! Believe it or not he wanted to do 11! 8 on the bottom and 3 on top! I called my dentist and he only thought 4 was really necessary. He said some of these periodonists can get carried away! Although I do have quite recession there! 4 for me is more then enough at this point. I would not want a redo, hopefully they will get it right! Thanks for the ice pack remeinder, did they put you on a steriod pack? or antibiotic?

Dana

Old 08-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #7
(female)

ktnap HB User

Dana,

He didn't give me a prescription for that right away. However, I had so much swelling (I can't remember if it was the day after or 2 days after) that my jaw had swollen to quite a large size. When I called, they prescribed cortisone and an antibiotic.
Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omysty
Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the ice pack remeinder, did they put you on a steriod pack? or antibiotic?
Dana

Old 08-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #8

Wilkey HB User

Kathy, I forgot about the brushing part, I must have blacked that out, that was horrible. The first few days you use this dental rinse that the periodontist will give you. Than, you can just brush the teeth that were not anywhere near your stitches, and than just use that rinse that they give you.

Dana, I was told that there are everyone's salivia produces bacteria, but a few of us lucky one's (ha) produce way too much of it, therefore, the extra bacteria attacks the gums, causing them to recede and putting your teeth in danger.

Kathy, did they tell you this?

I wish you both the best of luck with your graftings, let me know how you are doing!

Old 08-29-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
Inactive

omysty HB User

Wilke,

That's interesting, actually I have dry mouth and some reflux, maybe that's it for me, also my parents both had gum problems, but they smoked and I never did.

Thanks for the brushing tips! Kathy good luck this week with yours, keep us posted? Do you just take a pain pill and a local, or do you take something to relax? I'm glad I'm only doing 4!

D

Old 08-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #10
(female)

ktnap HB User

Yes, it seems like I remember someone telling me that, if it wasn't the periodontist it was the dentist or the dental hygienist. My upcoming surgery has been planned since early February so I don't remember much about it. Plus, last year's surgery was so traumatic I think I've put all of this out of my mind until this week!

Thanks for all the support!

Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkey
Kathy, I forgot about the brushing part, The first few days you use this dental rinse that the periodontist will give you. the extra bacteria attacks the gums, causing them to recede and putting your teeth in danger. Kathy, did they tell you this?

Old 08-30-2004, 05:41 PM   #11
(female)

ktnap HB User

Thanks so much Dana. I'm doing the Halcion (sleeping pill) the night before, plus another Halcion an hour before the appt, plus taking 2 additional ones with me to the appt. (I guess they think it may start to wear off during surgery). I guess the Halcion is not only for sleeping well, but to aid in relaxation.

I'm getting a local anesthetic for the surgery. I'm hoping they give me pain medication for when I leave and to help me make it through the night (last year, I didn't sleep AT ALL that night but I had IV sedation at that time and I think it made me jittery, plus I threw up the next morning). NOT pleasant at all when you have mega stitches in your gums. That's one of the reasons I opted not to do IV this year (as well as the cost and the later appt. - I would be very ill if I couldn't eat before noon)

Kathy

Quote:
Wilke,

Thanks for the brushing tips! Kathy good luck this week with yours, keep us posted? Do you just take a pain pill and a local, or do you take something to relax? I'm glad I'm only doing 4!

D

Old 08-31-2004, 07:38 AM   #12
Inactive

omysty HB User

Good luck Kathy, let us know how you're doing after! I played tennis this morning and a woman on my team had it done, 8 at a time, and had me worried, that if I don't do the 8 now, I won't go back, but you give me faith that you're going back even if it's not pleasant. She said the worst part is the roof of her mouth. Do you wear some sort ofmouth piece after? She said its great for weight loss, and I'd love to drop 10 lbs. or so! How long before you started eating again? She says she still feels the roof of her mouth from like 20 years ago or so, hopefully things have changed now!

The per. told me to take naxp? 550mg right before surgery and some xanax (at my request) and then the local in the office. The naxopren is script.
I guess you can tell I'm slightly nervous! LOL!! this thread and board is great glad I found it and all the support and info.

Dana

Old 08-31-2004, 03:33 PM   #13
(female)

ktnap HB User

Hi Dana, YES! The pain in the roof of my mouth was really bad but I had so many done they had to cut in two places. And, when I mentioned it to the doctor and their staff, they treated me like I was nuts and that shouldn't hurt at all (easy for them to say).

It was at least six months before I felt like the "nerves"? had healed on the roof of my mouth, long after the gum healing. It's fine now, but I imagine Thursday it'll start all over again. Hopefully, they won't have to cut so much out this time.

No I didn't wear a mouthpiece but it was months after the surgery that I could wear my retainer (esp. the whole night through). Unfortunately, I didn't lose weight even though I ate mostly soft food for the first few days and then just moderately soft/bland food (since I couldn't brush well enough to suit my somewhat chronically hygienic ways) until after my followup appt. (6 wks after).

What is Naproxen and Xanax? I asked for a pain killer the last time I called. Guess they think I'm a little anxious since I haven't even had the surgery yet (LOL). They wouldn't give it to me, said to wait until after the procedure. My thought was, I wouldn't have to run to the pharmacy AFTERwards. but Oh well, so much for my convenience. That's not their biggest concern

Kathy

Quote:
She said the worst part is the roof of her mouth. Do you wear some sort ofmouth piece after? She said its great for weight loss, and I'd love to drop 10 lbs. or so! How long before you started eating again? She says she still feels the roof of her mouth from like 20 years ago or so, hopefully things have changed now!

The per. told me to take naxp? 550mg right before surgery and some xanax (at my request) and then the local in the office. The naxopren is script.
I guess you can tell I'm slightly nervous! LOL!! this thread and board is great glad I found it and all the support and info.

Dana

Old 08-31-2004, 07:10 PM   #14
Inactive

omysty HB User

Kathy,

They prescribed the pain killer naxopren to take before the surgery, I'm surprised they didn't prescribe that for you. Its prescription aleve I think double strength. They didn't recommend the halicon like I said on the halicon thread. they suggested xanax, for a sedative, to relax me, maybe ask for that . Since you have had this done before, you still are nervous, its that because the pain pill wore off?

Dana

Old 09-02-2004, 05:20 AM   #15
(female)

ktnap HB User

Hi Dana,

I tried to get a pain killer, she indicated the dr. prefers to wait until after surgery after he knows what he's had to do and what will help the best. I'm guessing they'll use local anesthetic to numb me (let's hope!).

The Halcion is supposed to help me relax. I didn't sleep all that great on the one pill last night. I'm the world's worst sleeper. But I suppose I slept better than usual (only woke up a few times rather than 100 during a normal night). After reading up on Halcion, it supposedly gives you "amnesia" so I won't remember anything from the procedure (I'll believe it if it works). I think this is the drug that became known as the "date rape" drug that sleazes would slip into victims' drinks. It tasted very bitter when I took it last night. I think I would notice it if someone slipped it into my drink

They prescribed it to me because I expressed concern to them that it would not be easy for me to sit still for an hour and a half during the procedures (I'm a more tense, high-strung type of individual who stays on the go a lot).

I can't believe I won't remember an hour and a half in a dental chair with them stitching my gums. Heck, I remember waking up once during the IV sedation last year! It was toward the end and he had a big ol' piece of string he was pulling back on. And they were holding my jaw to the side. It felt bruised for days after.

Ha! No, I'm not nervous.

I'll be fine. I just rather it'd be done and over with.

Kathy

Quote:
Kathy,

They prescribed the pain killer naxopren to take before the surgery, I'm surprised they didn't prescribe that for you. Its prescription aleve I think double strength. They didn't recommend the halicon like I said on the halicon thread. they suggested xanax, for a sedative, to relax me, maybe ask for that . Since you have had this done before, you still are nervous, its that because the pain pill wore off?

Dana

Closed Thread