It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2004, 02:54 AM   #1

Wind_Dancer HB User
Sore Gum & Jaw ( Wisdom Tooth? )

My wisdom teeth "came in" a few years ago. My gums were a bit sore as I was "teething", but nothing horribly painful like I'd heard it would be. Well, I am pretty sure that it's been at LEAST a year since they've hurt me. However, about late Sunday or early Monday, the gum behind the bottom left wisdom tooth felt irritated and sore. I thought maybe it would go away, but it didn't. Tuesday ( yesterday ) when I awoke it was worse than ever. Not only was it worse than Monday, but it was also more sore than it was when I was cutting the wisdom teeth in the first place. The gum was origionally sore behind the left bottom wisdom tooth and up just a little on the side of my jaw above that spot of gum. However, it spread up my left jaw and all around the tooth, etc. It feels a bit wierd and uncomfortable and kinda sore or painful sometimes when I put my teeth together now, but just on the left side and mostly toward the back. Pushing in on my left jaw, I can tell it is sore even from the outside. In other words, when I push on my cheek. However, it is especially sore to the touch inside. My gum behind my wisdom tooth has gotten a bit white now. I should mention that my wisdom teeth for the most part never seemed to have come all the way out of the gum. Especially on the bottom. That is because they are so crowded on the bottom that they came in sideways and therefore didn't come out completely. Well my orthodontist commented that my widom teeth were big. I dunno about the top ones, but on the bottom, the right one is fairly normal size, but the left one is larger and seems to not be out as well as the right one which isn't completely out itself. However, all of my wisdom teeth seemed to have stopped pushing through. Until now. Now I don't know what is going on. The gum and jaw around the bottom left wisdom tooth seems to be sore, mushier, looser, the gum is kinda white, and the jaw and gum may be slightly swollen. Anyways, I am not sure if the wisdom tooth suddenly decided to come through more, if the skin is trying to grow back over it, if there is another tooth back there, if the gum is infected, or if food got between the tooth and gum and bothered it or what. I should mention it feels like there is a sore very close to that jaw, and just starting back on to the left side of my throat. I can't see it, but I can feel it with my fingers. There are currently sores on the back of my throat. I thought I was getting a sinus infection, but about Sat. or Sunday my throat became rather sore and I noticed these places on the back of my throat and thought perhaps I was getting a sore throat too. Could it be connected to my gum problem? I am afraid I will have to have my wisdom teeth removed and I am upset. Doctors, dentists, hospitals, needles, surgery, etc. make me nervous and sometimes down right scared. I don't deal well with pain and have anxiety problems. I know I have to do something about this though and regardless of what is causing this problem, I will prob. have to have my wisdom teeth ( at least the lower ones ) removed. The reason being the lower ones are crowded and barely have room to grow in there. Actually, they don't have enough. Also, I think they caused my lower teeth ( at least towards the back) to lean sideways. What do you all think is wrong with my gum? Anyone got any words of comfort for me? I hate pain and also my mouth is one of those places that I really don't want people messing with. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 05:27 AM   #2

Doppler4000 HB User
Re: Sore Gum & Jaw ( Wisdom Tooth? )

Yeah, partially erupted wisdom teeth are usually just problems waiting to happen. The most common thing is that food and stuff gets under the gum and it's just really hard to get it clean... and then you've got decay in the wisdom tooth and gums around there that aren't too healthy. All you can really do is go get an evaluation and see what's up. It's always possible that the best thing for you would be to get them removed, but if that's your diagnosis then just take a referral to a good oral surgeon and you can go in with a little IV cocktail and it will be nice and easy to have them out. A positive experience here might be good chance to change your outlook and fears of these sorts of things for the long run.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

luckys580 HB User
Re: Sore Gum & Jaw ( Wisdom Tooth? )

I know this was a long time ago, but what ever happened? I am going through a similar pain and I feel exactly the same way you do about dentists, pain, etc, so I am curious how you handled it.

Closed Thread