It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

ktnap HB User
Dana, How did your gum graftging go?

Hi Dana,

How did it go? I am back to work this week but will try to check in periodically. Let us know how you are doing...

Kathy

Old 09-07-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
Inactive

omysty HB User
Re: Dana, How did your gum graftging go?

Hi,

im home just really doped up, glad it over, so hopefully I'll let you know more tomorrow when i can type,,

thanks Dana

Do you swell the 1st day,

Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
(female)

ktnap HB User

Dana,

Yes, I did have swelling the first night this time. Last time, it was a few days before the swelling showed up.

Take care,
Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by omysty
Hi,

do you swell the 1st day,

Dana

Old 09-08-2004, 03:59 AM   #4
Inactive

omysty HB User

Hi Kathy,

I'm a little more coherent at the moment, so I thought I'd write you.

We had the blinding rain and rain on the way but I took 2mg. of the xanax, so I was pretty out of it, also had the gas which I think was wonderful, you won't believe it, but I told him to go ahead and do the eight! He said I was looking at a another year if I waited so I just did it, He was very good, he told me when the worst shot would come, and it wasn't too bad, no swelling or bruising hopefully it will stay that way, and I have been vigilant about the ice. I think this guy is really good, my husband and I thought he could have better with the aftercare instructions though.

I'm on durvocet, didn't want the percocet, so far so good, had a bunch of ice cream and mashed potato, maybe that helped even though I wasn't real hungry.

I rinsed this morning, and brushed the upper a little and when the clot came out, boy my tongue was on fire!! He said he wants it out at noon today, to start the healing process, but put it in for eating and sleeping. Did you do that? (the retainer)

How about the bottom should I brush around the area or just leave till next week when I see him?

Glad you're doing better, you give me hope, so glad!!! it's over with though!!
I kept waking up thinking I can't believe it's done!!

Thanks gain for your support, and glad you're coming along, let me know if you think of anything else! I'll be lying around most of the day.

Thanks,

Dana

Old 09-08-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
(female)

ktnap HB User

Dana,

Glad the electricity didn't got out on your surgery yesterday!! It's good to get the 8 out of the way. I'm glad your dr. was so good and thoughtful! Mine is definitely lacking in the compassion department. Last year when I told him I had never experienced such pain and I had such trouble eating, he only said "it doesn't look like you lost any weight to me". Huh! I only weighed 100 lbs. last year, yet he made it sound like I had fat to live on for years, hahaha

I can't believe you've had ice cream! Just the thought of that makes me still cringe (the roof of my mouth is really sore). Nothing too hot, cold, rough, or chewy has been my criteria this week for eating (doesn't leave much!!)

I'm not sure what you mean by clot and retainer. Those are two things I didn't have (I have a retainer from wearing braces but it will be at least a month before I try that insanity on this mouth. LOL!)

My dr. told me I could brush the teeth but not the gums. That was almost impossible for me to do the first few days (I don't know if my bottom teeth or real little or what, but I didn't want to take the chances with tearing out stitches). It is VERY helpful to get a child size toothbrush (soft or extra soft) and brush VERY GENTLY when you try it.

I'm glad you were able to sleep! That is something I did not do either time the first night! Glad you are doing so well.

Take it easy!
Kathy

Old 09-08-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
Inactive

omysty HB User

Kathy,

They gave me this top retainer to wear to protect the roof of my mouth when I eat, and to wear it all day, you didn't get one? Gosh, it's a lifesaver!
I can't imagine not having one! No wonder you have so much pain!!

When I took the retainer out to rinse with the peridex this morning, the clot came out from the roof of my mouth where they cut. The doctor said that was fine,for it tocome out, but it was on fire, I wouldn't eat for nothing!!

I'm on slimfast, because today even with the retainer I find it hard to eat, and surely can tell when the pain pill wears off, are you on durvacet? He didn't even give me antibiotic, not sure about that.

My teeth on the bottom feel so gritty, so you think I could brush behind the teeth? My 8 grafts were on the front 8 teeth?

Are you feeling better? I can't believe you didn't have this retainer, I would ask your doctor, if you do more? I'm afraid to take it out today at noon. But I should still wear it for eating and sleeping.

Anyway, I'll let you know how things go, you know things can change at any minute. How do you feel back at work?

Dana

Old 09-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #7
(female)

ktnap HB User

Dana

No, I didn't even hear about such a retainer. A little late now... When your clot came out, didn't it bleed alot?

I refused the Darvocet because I've had trouble with it in the past (horrible nightmares). They prescribed Hydrocodone but I quit taking it because it made me itch all over!! I've basically just been using Tylenol for pain since last Friday.

Yes, I would think you could brush behind your teeth. Really, you should be able to brush in any area there aren't stitches... Also, if you can find it, a helpful brush from Butler is something called an end-tuft brush (it's very small and you can target specific areas). I have found it really helpful, as well as the child-size brush, for the areas where stitches are. For the rest of your teeth, you should be able to use a regular brush.

Unfortunately, I feel like I'm coming down with a virus that has been going around here (sore throat, sinuses - it makes it really bad because I can't suck on lozenges! and orange juice doesn't really appeal to me and my sore mouth). I'm also battling stomach aches (I think due to the medication - prednisone, antibiotic)

Not real fun to go back to work. It's hard enough to talk so much on the phone on a good day, let alone without all these handicaps!

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Kathy

Old 09-09-2004, 03:39 AM   #8
Inactive

omysty HB User

Hi Kathy,

Sorry to hear you are coming down with something, not a time for that right!

Actually I've been trying not to wear the retainer so it might heal faster. But I use it to eat and sleep. with . I think it would have been a lifesaver for you for the 1st couple of days for sleeping and eating.

It was funny I actually got my 1st flowers from thisDr. in a cute coffee mug, it was a surprise, then I figured out where all my moneyis going! LOL!! Then he personally called me last night to see how I was doing, so I was impressed with that. So I said I'm so glad I'm done, and he said in a couple of months I should consider doing my top , one for root exposure and the other cosmetic. I just laughed and said I don't think so right now! I remember when I was in the chair to tell him to do the rest, but he went and did the 8 instead of 4 I guess he thought that was enough not to do the top too.

How is your swelling? I think the steriods on the 1st day helped me not have the swelling, or something is working. I just took an advil, last not quit the durvocet, and I had no antibiotic. I will say knock on wood, I'm pleased with this doctor, and would go back, only of course if absolutely necessary!

What are you eating now?I'm still having a tough time with that. Living on warm cofee, and ice cream! Everything else seems to be getting caught in my stitches, can't wait to go in Tues!

So glad we can talk about this together, you have really helped me get thru this, fortunately I don't work, so I really feel for you at work, especailly if you have to talk on the phone. I would really like to get out a little today, but don't know. What day of the recovery did you venture out?

Take care, and hope you get over your virus soon!

Talk to you soon!

Dana

Old 09-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #9
(female)

ktnap HB User

Hi Dana,

Very tough to last at work today, but only one more day. My throat is killing me and my sinuses are acting up.

Your doctor sounds great! Flowers???? Wow! Ha! The only way he sounds like mine is that he wants to do more surgery. I remember, even during my drugged stupor, arguing with him when he mentioned having another surgery. No way, this is it for me. I won't be doing it again UNLESS the dentist ever says it's a dire necessity.

My swelling had reduced when they prescribed the prednisone. I still have the nasty bruise on my chin but the swelling is gone.

I'm still not eating "normal". I am still eating softer foods (macaroni, cottage cheese, applesauce, jello, steamed veggies). My whole mouth still feels "bruised". I can eat meats (chicken, hamburger) too as long as I cut them into very tiny pieces.

I went out 2 days after my surgery but I wasn't taking any painkillers stronger than Tylenol by that time. If you're still on Darvocet, I don't think you'd better drive.

Hope you continue to make great progress!

Kathy

Closed Thread