It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User
Exclamation After wisdom teeth removal - dissolvable stitches poking cheek!

Hey everyone!

I just had my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed on Tuesday morning (Sept. 7th). Things went very smoothly under general and local anesthesia and I have been following all of the post-op instructions given by my OS--especially applying ice! Thankfully, things haven't been too bad aside from some normal swelling and throbbing. (I actually was able to eat some chicken today...with cautious, small bites).

Anyways, my only problem right now, is that the dissolvable stitches on the right side are continuously poking at my cheek. It is mostly just slightly painful and annoying! I'm hoping--as my swelling starts to go away--that maybe it won't poke as much, but for right now, I don't know what to do! I called the OS office today to see if I could get a prescription for an anti-inflammatory, but the nurse said that I would have to schedule an extra appointment--which I don't think is necessary b/c my swelling is not that severe.

I guess I am just curious as to how long dissolvable stitches usually take to actually dissolve! Anyone have experiences with them?

I am taking Motrin (600mg) and Tylenol #3 (w/ codeine) for pain and Clindamycin (150mg) as a precautionary antibiotic. I don't start using mouthwash stuff until Friday morning....Does the mouthwash help the stitches dissolve and/or heal things up a little bit faster?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated...my follow-up appt. is September 14th.

Thanks y'all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

tomkinsone HB User
Re: After wisdom teeth removal - dissolvable stitches poking cheek!

My daughter is having the exact same experience you are having. Her wisdom teeth were removed on the 4th of September and she is still annoyed with the stitches on the right side of her mouth and she also thinks that a stitch might have been put into her cheek. I am hoping that someone will post some information on how long it takes these stitches to dissolve and will she actually find pieces of them in her mouth that she will need to spit out?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: After wisdom teeth removal - dissolvable stitches poking cheek!

7 to 14 days is the norm for dissolvable stitches - I have had some that barely made 3-4 days and others I have had to pull out myself and if I couldn't get it I had to go back to the dentist. Sometimes some of the stitches do not dissolve especially if they are buried within the gum tissue. I did find some pieces in my mouth on occassion - mostly they come out when eating or brushing and rinsing.

Closed Thread