It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 08:24 AM   #1

stephanie912 HB User
Tooth extracted. Do I need an implant?

I just had a lower back tooth extracted and the periodontist told me I have to have an implant. He said if I don't, the top tooth will go down into the empty space. I don't understand that and he couldn't really explain it to me.
You can't see the empty space when I smile and it doesn't cause me any problems right now. Will it later? I don't really have the money for the implant and want to just leave it but I don't want it to mess anything up.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 11:07 AM   #2
(female)

Kikki HB User
Re: Tooth extracted. Do I need an implant?

I personally would recommend getting some sort of restoration. Your top tooth will indeed start to drop into the space. This is simply the way teeth are. Teeth are not actually fixed in the bone per sea, but instead are held in place with ligaments other soft tissue. If there is nothing ever pushing back up on that tooth the supporting structures will weaken and cause it to drop. This very much can cause bite issues, even if it is in the back, and may lead you to loose that tooth as well. Additionally, over time your teeth in your lower jaw will begin to shift and you may very well end up with spaces between your teeth. It happens quite often. In fact, my mother (who is 50 now) several years back lost a tooth when it cracked She was supposed to go when it healed and for a bridge, but because of this and that just didn't get around to it. Well, for a year (and only a year) she went without one of her molars and her teeth shifted and she had to have a complete bite adjustment done and ended up with braces to correct her teeth because of the spaces that developed. She has since gotten a bridge (this was before dental implants were quite so common) and has had no more trouble, but she will never again go without a tooth because of all the trouble it caused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
(female)

ssborrow HB User

I lost a tooth in the back on top due to my dentist not "noticing" that it was rotting under a cap. I haven't gotten an implant, and am glad for it. The gum is strong and does not bother me. No one can tell I'm missing a tooth. My other teeth haven't "moved" in 11 years.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:41 AM   #4

Palter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie912
I just had a lower back tooth extracted and the periodontist told me I have to have an implant. He said if I don't, the top tooth will go down into the empty space. I don't understand that and he couldn't really explain it to me.
You can't see the empty space when I smile and it doesn't cause me any problems right now. Will it later? I don't really have the money for the implant and want to just leave it but I don't want it to mess anything up.
Stephanie, I think that your periodontist, in keeping with his professional ethics, must make some recommendations to you with respect to the loss of your molar and its possible replacement. Withholding this information regarding treatment options, can result in you coming back at him with a lawsuit, should any problems arise later on.
If you are not ready for the expense of the implant now, then you should question your periodontist or general dentist, on your regular six-month check-up, regarding any changes that he/she observes in your bite, or movements in the teeth around the extraction site. As long as no significant changes are seen, then you probably can manage the loss of that molar without further treatment.
Good Luck
Palter

Closed Thread