It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

Worried!! Smokeless Tobacco Use?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
BRC777

BRC777 HB User
Question Worried!! Smokeless Tobacco Use?

Hi, I have been using smokeless tobacco for a number of years now. I have regular dental visits and my dentist (who doesn't know I use it) always says everything looks fine. I have tried to quit many times. I recently spent alot of money on the nicotine replacement gum for smokers but I failed miserably on this attempt.

I know the risk of oral cancer is high. But I was wonering how high the risk is. I know what signs to look for and I don't have any of them at the present. My Dad is 52 and has been using chewing tobacco and snuff since he was 18. It is a tough habbit to break.

So, my question is what are the odds that I could develop mouth cancer? I am 28 and have been "dipping" for about ten years. When I get stressed I use it as relief. I take several vitamins and was wondering if they could help in preventing this type of cancer.

My concerns stem from altot of my family members and friends are battleing cancer (not related to smokeless tobacco) and this scares me.

Anyones comments or questions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Last edited by BRC777; 09-21-2004 at 02:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
MaryAnn
(female)

MaryAnn HB User
Re: Worried!! Smokeless Tobacco Use?

I knew a 42 year old man who died from oral cancer in June. He had chewed for many years and it finally caught up with him. The cancer ended up going all over in his body. He was diagnosed in November and died in June. His family has his story on a website-I only wish I could give you that website so you could read it for yourself. I'm sure it's a tough habit to kick but for your future health, TRY!

Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
dabner
(female)

dabner HB User

Here's a motivator - search for mandiblectomy - aka having half your face removed to get rid of the cancer. How good does the tobacco look now?

[We prefer that you not give directions on a search. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 09-22-2004 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Remove reference for search.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Boofy17
(male)

Boofy17 HB User

It is of no question to any one who dips that it is bad for you, and if you have ever used a tobacco product yourself and found yourself hopelessly addicted to it you know your craving is going to be worse than any picture you could see of people having their face disfigured. If anyone has some information about how fast cancer can start or what to look for, please let me know, thanks!

Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
honkitonk
(male)

honkitonk HB User

well if you want to try to quit theres an alternative ive found a mint snuff its liek chew but theres no tobacco in it its all herbal but it shure has a different texture and taste u might bbe able to find it in some smoke shops good luck bud

Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 AM   #6
Christai77
(male)

Christai77 HB User

It is much harder to quit smokeless than smoking tobacco.
Unfortunately here's the reality. We, as a human race, have idenitified substances that increase the chance of a person developing cancer. No definite percentage has been attached to one particular substance or another, although alcohol + tobacco seems to have a greater incidence of cancer than either alone.

some people do everything right and still get cancer.

some people do everything wrong and never get cancer.

we just haven't figured it out yet. going to the dentist on a regular basis is important. every time you see a dentist or hygienist ask them to do an oral cancer screening exam. it takes about 5 mins (tops) and doesn't hurt. You should let your dentist know that you use tobacco products, some of them will look harder because you mention it to them.

Oral cancer kills a lot of people b/c we don't usually find it until it metasizes elsewhere, and by then it's usually too late. So finding it early (like any other cancer) is really the key to survival. So if you find it early you can avoid those mandibularectomies, or palatal or whatever else they want to take out.

On quitting....
it's hard. no doubt.
i'd say try to find a support group (sounds gay, I know), get on a prescription for zyban/wellbutrin xl, and remove any sort of situation that is going to cause the stress that makes you want to dip in the first place. Find another outlet to relieve stress. I am also a fan of taking small steps towards quitting rather than trying to do it cold turkey.

good luck man, i know it ain't easy.

Closed Thread