It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
Veteran

lateeth HB User
Jagged bone growing in back gum

I wrote this question earlier but it has not shown up yet so if there are two, please excuse me. I had my wisdom tooth out and the molar next to it about 2 months ago. Suddenly last week the gum on one side started to hurt and today there are little sharp pieces of bone sticking out sideways from the gum on the tongue side below the gum level where the tooth was removed. They are very sharp and now my tongue is hurting a lot from being scratched constantly by these little pieces of bone.
I know this question has been here before but i cannot figure out what to look for to find the answers so if anyone know what this is or what to do about it, please let me know.

Old 09-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
(female)

soliloquy HB User
Re: Jagged bone growing in back gum

This is not uncommon, but I know it's painful. The dentist who extracted your teeth should be able to pluck out those bone splinters...call him/her!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 AM   #3
Inactive

Libbyanne HB User

I had the same problem when I had my top teeth extracted a few weeks ago. I had pieces of bone sticking out so they sent me to an OS who did an alveoloplasty (removing or shaving the bone) and I felt much better within 2 days. When you go to the OS they will shave the bone or remove the slinter and then stitch you up. I thought it was less painful afterwards than the extractions themselves.

Personally I would rather have an OS do it than the dentist because I wanted to be asleep for it. He ended up taking more out than first thought and it involved more than just plucking the bone out.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
Veteran

lateeth HB User

Thanks, I have an appt for the oral surgeon on thursday. With your advice i called them and they will see me for free (as part of the pulling fee i paid) I was not looking forward to going to the reg dentist again and paying yet another $95 emergency visit fee on top of whatever the charge to take care of this would be.
Hopefully it will not require stitches! But if it does, I guess I will live thru it.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:23 AM   #5
Inactive

Libbyanne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateeth
Thanks, I have an appt for the oral surgeon on thursday. With your advice i called them and they will see me for free (as part of the pulling fee i paid) I was not looking forward to going to the reg dentist again and paying yet another $95 emergency visit fee on top of whatever the charge to take care of this would be.
Hopefully it will not require stitches! But if it does, I guess I will live thru it.
Even if it did require stitches it's definitely no worse than the extractions. My gums seemed to heal faster with the stitches than without.

Good luck and hang in there!

Closed Thread