It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
(male)

HPS2 HB User
Anyone here had their wisdom teeth removed as an adult?

Hi there! I am a male, 36 years old and tomorrow morning I am having all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed (under general anesthesia). I wanted to find out if there is anyone on this board who have had their wisdom teeth removed when they were adults. Specifically, what should I expect? How many days recovery do you think I will need... etc, etc. I read many of the wisdom teeth-related posts and most are from teens and young adults... not too many from adults past the age of 21. I am sure I will run into many of the same recovery issues that younger people do, but they also tend to heal much faster than people past the age of 30. So, can anyone shed some light for me on what to expect afterwards? I am a little nervous about the surgery, but more so about recovery. Thanks ahead of time!

Jeff
Southern California

Old 09-30-2004, 06:07 PM   #2

egoh510 HB User
Re: Anyone here had their wisdom teeth removed as an adult?

hello! i'm 29 and got all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled out last week under local. I didn't have any problems afterwards at all, not even pain??? The next day, the socket was sore but no pain I just had my f/u appoint and the dds said it's all healed!! You might be groggy after general though? so.... Just remember not to raise (or spit) ur mouth for several days cuz that increase the chance of developing dry socket (which is when the blood clot dissolve prematurely and expose the bone) other than that...enjoy ur soft food and take ur meds ! you will do fine!

elaine

Last edited by egoh510; 09-30-2004 at 06:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 07:17 PM   #3

cbohning HB User

I am 31 and had all four impacted wisdom teeth out this past summer. The surgery went well but the recovery was a little tough (Keep in mind I am the biggest wimp) - I got through it though and am sooo happy now that I got them out. Unfortunately, I got dry socket and it took me at least a week to ten days to start to feel better. Also mine were deeply bone impacted and my doctor said since I was older it would probably take a little longer to heal. Just listen to your doctors orders and you should be fine. I don't know how i got the dry socket - it just happened. I don't smoke and I didn't use a straw. Something just happened to make the one "hole" not heal correctly.
Good luck to you - I hope it goes well!!

Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
(male)

HPS2 HB User

Thanks for the valuable information! I am excited for tomorrow morning [Friday], if that makes any sense! I just can't wait to get back home after its done and hopefully be able to watch all 3 Star Wars movies on DVD. Thanks again for your feedback, you made me feel much better!

Old 10-01-2004, 03:14 AM   #5

cbohning HB User

Yes! I know what you mean - it is a GREAT excuse to just sit and watch movies for a few days. That is what I did. Enjoy the Star Wars

Old 10-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
Veteran

lateeth HB User

You must have already had your teeth out so congratulations if you are reading this between movies. I am 57 and had all 4 removed recently. No problems at all....I was eating regular food the 2nd day but gingerly. I did have nasty breath until all the blood was gone from my mouth. Healing depends a lot on the individual and whether you had an abscess or impacted teeth or whatever. Just plain ole teeth aren't bad at all.
Stay awake for the end of the movie!
How did it go? Keep us posted.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
(male)

HPS2 HB User

All 4 wisdom teeth are OUT!!! I am so happy. I have never had any surgery or been put under general anesthesia before. I was amazed at how one second the doctor is asking me some questions as he starts to inject something into my IV and the next SECOND I'm being woken up and then walked to my wife in the waiting room. IT was definitely the weirdest thing I have ever experienced. It was just crazy!!!! If only my work week would fly by that fast. LOL

Yesterday wasn't too bad at all. I kept ice on both sides of my face, which really helped with the bleeding, which did finally stop after about 5 hours. I was amazed that the bleeding stopped so fast given the fact that I had 2 impacted teeth, one was VERY bad. I was then able to start my liquid diet. Call me a wimp, but I already don't think I will ever eat any more yogurt, protein shakes or apple sauce again! I did try some mac and cheese earlier today, but it a bit more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Today has been a bit harder than yesterday... cheeks are swollen, jaw is very stiff, breath is horrid and I have had a headache for pretty much the whole day. With that said, this whole experience was nothing close to what I lead myself to believe it was going to be. So, all of you waiting to get this done... you have nothing to fear. I am just glad it is all over. Thanks for everyone's feedback, support and care!! I never visited this board before last week, but I will continue to visit to lend my help and experience to others in need. Thanks again to all!!!!

Jeff

Last edited by HPS2; 10-02-2004 at 06:16 PM.

Closed Thread