It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2004, 08:12 AM   #1

Suezers HB User
IV sedation with apicoectomy

I am scheduled for an apicoectomy on tooth #11.Front left eye tooth.
I have recently had many problems..root canals, rootips removed ect..I am very tired, and although I am normally a non-gas user, using only Local numbing through procedures, this time I asked to be sedated via IV. I have never had an apicoectomy , nor have I been sedated for a procedure.
Has anyone out there been IV sedated for this or other procedure, is it safe?What can I expect when I go for this appointment.
I am a bit nervous, any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #2

ljason HB User
Re: IV sedation with apicoectomy

I just had iv sedation 4 weeks ago for the removal of 12 teeth and fillings in the remaining.. It is not bad at all.. You most likely will not remember anything for a couple of hours after your appt.. According to how much it takes to get you sedated enough.. It took alot for me. My surgery was from 10:30 till 4:30 and I don't remember but bits and pieces of memory of that night and the first few waking hours of the next morning.. I am a nervous person who doesn't like a drunk or drugged feeling and it don't make you feel like that. I just felt like I was going in and out of sleep.. My husband said I ask him things over and over that night.. He would say I done told you and I would swear he hadn't .. They laughed at me alot.. I had no pain that night and didn't take anything except for advil.. And the only reason i took that was because my arm was sore from the iv cause they had complications finding a vein.. Don't waste your time worrrying cause it is no big deal at all...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #3

align HB User
Unhappy Re: IV sedation with apicoectomy

why do you want to go through that process if that tooth already went through a lot ? I had the same experience with one of the tooth. I all kinds of therapy for that tooth including root canal, surgery etc ..... just like yours. Each time I not only spent a lot of money, but also suffered a lot of pain. Because those dentists always tell you to SAVE the tooth. But Finally, after suffered all kinds of pain, the tooth was removed a few week ago ...............

Old 10-02-2004, 08:30 AM   #4

Suezers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by align
why do you want to go through that process if that tooth already went through a lot ? I had the same experience with one of the tooth. I all kinds of therapy for that tooth including root canal, surgery etc ..... just like yours. Each time I not only spent a lot of money, but also suffered a lot of pain. Because those dentists always tell you to SAVE the tooth. But Finally, after suffered all kinds of pain, the tooth was removed a few week ago ...............
It is a front tooth, that is the only reason I am going to go through this-sigh-

Thank you for the replies so far, it is a great help.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:48 AM   #5

fran01 HB User

I have had two apicos on my front teeth and looking at having two more in a couple of months. I only had the local anesthetic both times and did not have any pain during or after. I applied ice packes for the first few hours afterward and took Motrin every 6 hours for the first day to make sure that it didn't swell too bad. Now, this time, I am considering asking for something to relax me, maybe valium or something of the sort, due to the fact, I AM just dreading having to have them done again.
Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Old 10-02-2004, 10:08 AM   #6

align HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suezers
It is a front tooth, that is the only reason I am going to go through this-sigh-

Thank you for the replies so far, it is a great help.
Mine was the 1st molar. I plan to implant. My sister has implanted one front tooth. It is very easy and good. The problem about the tooth after surgery is the difficult to clean, then after sometime, it'll become bad again.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:40 PM   #7

Suezers HB User

Greets. I had the procedure done on Tuesday. The IV sedation worked wonderful, I didnt feel or recall a thing. I have been taking Vicodin for the pain. This morning I awoke with a very swollen cheek area, and the back of my neck/head feels very sore and almost numb like, I am wondering if maybe it was due to the uncomfortable dentist chair.

Any idea how long the swollen cheek affect will last, and is this normal?Also I have a slight bad taste in my mouth.

All that aside, another thanks to those who posted prior to this , it eased my mind alot.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #8

taylormade HB User

Suezers
I had an apicoectomy without sedation. I have had a tooth extracted with sedation. The sedation is a breeze (didn't need it for an extraction, really) but personally, I wish I'd had it with that nasty apicoectomy. You smell the bone being drilled away, and the whole procedure is rather unpleasant. Also, for what it's worth, my apico didn't work, tooth had to be pulled anyway, and it was not pleasant for many days following the expensive procedure.
Maybe they are better at it nowadays, but I would opt to have the tooth removed, esp if you have a lot of problems with infection, as I do. Best wishes!

Old 10-09-2004, 08:47 PM   #9

Suezers HB User

I too have decided "no more root canals"
I have had more than my share of them, at least 9 if I recall. At least 2 ended up being removed anyway, and now this one..with the apico and now post apico infection.

Closed Thread