It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User
wisdom teeth post op pain

i got my wisdom teeth out a week ago today.i had two impacted, two partially impacted. the pain has not gone away. every morning it feels like i got punched in the face. i have two sores between my tongue and gums in the back of my mouth. it kills to eat solid food, to the point where i eat a little and give up because it hurts too much. im so hungry, my breath is awful, my stomach is hurting because there is not much solid food being digested and ive been sticking to the ibuprofin, i take the narcotic when i get home from work....i dont see my doctor again til tomorrow.....everyone ive talked to says they were fine after two days...are they lying or am i just special? i havent had much swelling, no bruising, its more of a jaw ache, and those damn sores....those are what really hurt. ive been working on my jaw trying to get it to open wider. it also hurts to talk more than a little bit.....i called the office yesterdya and they told me it was normal.........i dont belive them.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #2

imdunn HB User
Re: wisdom teeth post op pain

I had pain in my jaw for every bit of a month after having my wisdom teeth removed. And then I had phantom pain for almost 2 years afterwards - I think the surgeon messed up somewhere along the line.
I still have problems occasionally and it has been about 7 years since I had them removed.

Hope you feel better soon! You could try gargling with salt water (warm) to help with the sores inside -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #3

hotwaterjuice HB User

I do not see the logic in lying about how long it took for one to recover. I was 21 when I had three wisdom teeth out. They were all infected and at that time I had no knowledge about tooth infections and the fact that they are incredibly painful when trying to pull them when an infection is present. The idiot "oral surgeon" pulled three, I felt severe pain and he tried to pull the impacted one that was infected aswell. He only pulled half of it, it was half in and half out of my mouth when he stopped. I cried and screamed while he was doing this. Well, needless to say he became ticked off because I wasnt the 'best' patient he ever had, so he stopped and said "Well, its probably infected I cant do anything else right now!" He was a complete jerk about it too.

Now to the point; I ended up being so petrified it was more than a year before I went back to have it done again. I went to an excellent oral surgeon that in my opinion, is the best in the city. He pulled it, I never felt a thing and was just a little sore for a day or two afterwards. He prescribed Vicodin, I think I took two or three and that was it. A week later I was eating basically what I wanted.

I dont know how old you are, but I have heard that age can be a factor in how the procedure turns out (I have only heard this, this could be wrong). I have heard that its best to have it done when your younger.

You should only be experiencing some 'discomfort' for a few days, after that it should be fine.

Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by hotwaterjuice; 10-06-2004 at 01:19 PM.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
(female)

Grrmotts HB User

Everyone is different when they have their wisdom teeth pulled. And some people just have a low tolerance for pain, while others do not.

I got all 4 of mine pulled 2 weeks ago. All four were impacted, I was put to sleep, and also had local anesthetic. I got a little swollen, and my chin was bruised, but the pain was less than I expected. For me, the 3rd day was the worst, but like you, I tried to stay off the major pain killers, in fact I only took IB, one a day.

The important thing is to keep ice on your face as much as possible for the first few days, that could help tremendously (and play a big role in the healing process). I didn't start eating solid foods until 8 days after the surgery, and I am still having touble with the really hard stuff, like popcorn kernals. My jaw is still tender, and the muscles are just getting back to normal. My stitches are all dissolved, but my gums are still healing and tender.

If you are having trouble eating, what I did was pretty much eat non stop all day, and my mom waited on me. ha ha. I ate alot of hard boiled eggs (prolly like 2 dozen in one week), which seemed to help fill me up, rice pudding, jello, mashed potatoes (with lots of butter and garlic).

So to answer your question, it's normal to still be feeling pain, and you'll be fine. My surgeon told me it could take a month before everything is back to normal, and after that you can occasionally feel "pains and tingles" that only last for a moment. And the sores in your mouth, I have 2 of them, on the top at the back, they are near the holes, but more on the side of my gums. They feel like hard little balls, and they are tender.....but they are normal too. Some ppl say it's the gums "healing" and sometimes it can be bone chips.

Just relax.....and enjoy being looked after. GOOD LUCK with the recovery. Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
(male)

HPS2 HB User

Weasel,

Tomorrow will be a week since I had all 4 of mine removed!! I had 2 impacted and 2 partially impacted - the same as you. The good news for you is that I AM FEELING EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOU! I can't eat solid food because of the pain.... my breath is like death warmed over.... I stopped feeling my stomach 2 days ago... it hurts to talk and I don't think I will ever eat yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal or popsicles again! I went in for my post-op followup this afternoon and was told that what we are going through is 100% normal. FYI - I am 36 and my surgeon reminded me that adults take a little bit longer to recover than teens. Nonetheless, the fact that we both had 2 impacted teeth removed is a pretty intense procedure so it is expected that we suffer a little longer.

So I guess I am saying that you/we are completely normal. Hang in there.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

i had my follow up today and the ******* pushed on all the sensitive spots ON PURPOSE.....i slid out of the chair and fell on the floor while pushing his hand out of my mouth.......he told me too that it was normal....and that it takes up to three months to heal...they never told me that part of it. thanks for your replies

Closed Thread